Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory ripped my seat back and repaired.....

I was adding some protective tape to my tower where the lift offs allow the racks to hit when I swing them open, and I noticed this dull spot on my rear bench seat back. I looked closer and it apears that there was a rip in the upholstery at some point and someone tried to repair it. If I look at it closely, I can see the line where the tear was ( about 5 inches) and what looks to be a repair. It is really noticable when you see the shine on the area surrounding it, and the dullness like it was scuffed or lightly sanded.

For a 50k boat, with 20 hours on, should I ask for a replacement seat?

I also see some porosities in the side of the hull above the rub rail, but not sure if I should have that looked at because it might be worse if they try to repair.

Thoughts?

New boat?? All should be fixed to your satisfaction, no matter what .......That is customer service , which is the main ingridient of repeat sales.

New boat?? All should be fixed to your satisfaction, no matter what .......That is customer service , which is the main ingridient of repeat sales.

Yep new as of June 14th. I really think it is a rip, because it has a look of a rip or tear...kind of looks like a faint scar. For a repair, it looks decent, but this is a new freekin boat, i shouldnt settle for that.

Funny thing is I dont think I noticed it when I got the boat the first time, but after the dealer installed the tower and brought it back, I saw it but never really noticed it this much because it was always in the sun, now I had it in my storage unit in the shade, and had some shadows that highlighted it.

If it is that subtle, I would show it to the dealer, and get in writing that they will replace the skin if the area breaks down later or becomes discolored.

I'd bet the dealer ripped it when they installed the tower. If so, the dealer wil have to pay for it out of his own pocket. He won't want to do it. Being nice might persuade him. He'd probably be more likely to offer a gift certy. for the pro shop.

Which means get down there asap to talk to them about it. The longer you wait, the more opportunity they have to say you may have done it. I too would suspect a dealer issue. I really doubt the factory would take the effort to repair a skin when they have new ones laying around. I don't think Malibu would try to pass off a cheap repair as new. May have happened when they installed the tower or sitting on the lot before you bought it.

When I picked my boat up from the 20 hour check I noticed a tear on the engine cover and pointed it out to the service tech. He immediatly said "I don't remember that being there when you brought it in, I'll order you a new skin". He said it would be an easy fix for a professional but being it was a brand new boat it should be replaced, not fixed. I waited until I returned for winterization for the fix and he took care of everything at no cost to me. Even gave me the old skin. He had know idea how the damage happened but accepted responsibility and made it right. That's a good dealer! Thumbup.gif Don't accept a fix. Expect NEW

I would contact your dealer and make sure he buys into what you want, and no way do you send it in now. Wait until the end of the season but have it documented so your dealer is aware that you noticed it before then. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you don't trust your dealer or service shop!

I would contact your dealer and make sure he buys into what you want, and no way do you send it in now. Wait until the end of the season but have it documented so your dealer is aware that you noticed it before then. I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you don't trust your dealer or service shop!

I have had some issues well before getting this boat, which i custom ordered. The owner has been great, and they have had a big learning experience so far with selling ski boats for the first time. It still worries me that they wont cover it....we will see. I emailed him yesterday about it.

The owner has been great, . . . It still worries me that they wont cover it....

Don't worry about it. Let us know what he says.