Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stern light on tower?

arsenuts411

Hi i have the illusion tower on my 04 wakesetter and was wondering if there was a way or has anyone modified there tower to put the stern light up there I see some tower that have the light on top of the part that you hook the rope onto. I think that this is pretty nice. I do alot of boarding in the evening and sometimes go till its just about dark and can't use the regular stern light with the rope? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know there is one out there. I saw it last year. Was a good amount of coin but looked to fit the bill. I'm sure someone will come up with the link.

This is the light that people have used. You can either fish a wire up to the top through the tower or some have run it on the outside and taped it down. It's then connected to the Nav switch on the panel.

On our 04 VLX we faced a similar issue -- tonight for "fireworks" I've rigged a temporary "white light" that can be attached with a velcro strap to the "front" bar on the tower -- seems to work and can be used as an emergancy light if ever required... here's the link.

http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog...k_S.O.S._Deluxe

Good luck with your search -- I'll post tomorrow and let you know what the local sherif thought of the idea :)

This is a step up from the velcro version.. fits over the tower spool, and works great. In the dark, you wouldn't know it was a light mounted to a piece of sewer pipe ;)

post-80-1215985515_thumb.jpg

post-80-1215985539_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Troy. I have that same light from another boat & have been trying to figure out a clean & easy way to install it on the Vride for a while now. Your idea is going to work great.

So how do you keep it in place at speed? And what is the white cap you have the light screwed to?

That is way better than the 6' stern light that came with the boat. I can see someone wiping that out way too easily.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So here is what I came up with so far..... complete with a disguise so it doesn't look like sewer pipe sitting on top of my tower. Whistling.gif

It's going to need a strap of some kind to hold it on the tower though. If not, one good wave & it'll be outta there.

Cost was about $10. But I already owned the light, adhesive, tape, Traxx, etc.

post-821-1216189499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well I think that I am going to have to go that route and make one cause I believe i have the same type of light at my house with a longer pole that is suppose to clamp on. Thanks all for the replies

The white cap is a "test cap" also found at your local home store, in the sewer pipe section.

I lined the inside with pipe insulation.. just cut it to fit, and glued it in there. That way it makes it past the top of the spool, with a snug fit, then sorta “pops” into place. No-way it is falling off Thumbup.gif

post-80-1216253717_thumb.jpg

Wait till you see my Troy Clark Industries (llc) Stern light model 1.1PP at Wow!!

edit, oh yeah, it's USCG approved.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Hehe, thats my skier down flag holder. Whistling.gif

Actually, I was reading where it's illegal to fly a Jolly Roger in navigable waters anyway. We ride on the Columbia & Snake rivers occasionally so we may have other issues than the nav light height.

I cut a piece if aluminum with a plasma cutter then cleaned it up on the grinder. I used a fine wire brush on the grinder to polish the edges. I put a rubber O-ring between the ball and plate when I mounted it.

7-19-08cabin001.jpg

7-19-08cabin029.jpg

The LED is super bright and will last 100 hours on 4 double A's.

Edited by DC-STRO
Do any of you have a link to that light? I can't seem to find it.

I got mine from west marine.. check their website. It is a light for an inflatable Thumbup.gif

Do any of you have a link to that light? I can't seem to find it.

I got mine from west marine.. check their website. It is a light for an inflatable Thumbup.gif

Ah cool, thanks Troy!

Yea, I think I picked mine up at West Marine. Had the bow & stern light on a pontoon boat. Got the idea from a buddy who has them on a tinny fishing boat.

Google "Attwood stern light" and you will find them at a variety of places, ie; Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas..... even found one at Home Depot.

Yea, I think I picked mine up at West Marine. Had the bow & stern light on a pontoon boat. Got the idea from a buddy who has them on a tinny fishing boat.

Google "Attwood stern light" and you will find them at a variety of places, ie; Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas..... even found one at Home Depot.

Yeah, the brand helped a bunch. I think I'll stop by Cabela's on the way to the lake tomorrow and pick one up then back my way into the towball setup. Off the top of your head, do you remember the diameter of the pipe you used?

The sewer pipe I used was 3" ID from Home Depot (or Lowes or any other hardware store), 1 coupler, 1 cap & a small section of pipe, maybe $10. Then I cut strip of 1/8" thick rubber (ie old wetsuit, swimstep pad, Traxx pad, etc.) & stuck it inside where the pipe touches the edges of the tow knob. This made it a snug fit so it won't go anywhere when I open the boat up & hit some chop while the light is up there.

Great ideas guys. I'm surprised someone hasn't done something like this already.