Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

NEED SOME ADVICE

My boat has been running steady at 140*

Today I installed a new safety neutral switch. While I was testing it at idle I went to throttle down the engine and it made a deep, throaty, loud noise from the engine and exhaust.

I immediately noticed the temp gauge was reading 170*ish. I immediately cut the throttle back and shut the engine down.

I then checked everything to find nothing wrong. So I restarted the engine and everything was normal. 140* quiet and seemed ok.

Later on this evening we went for a ski and the same thing happened again. Could this possibly be the impeller sticking?

thanks for any input

Jason Dontknow.gif

Edited by jason browne

If I shut the boat down right after a footin run, my temp will be that high when i restart it. It comes down quick after I start it back up though.

If it's 170 when you're running, it could be the imepeller or some junk at the intake or trans cooler screen.

Could also be the circulating pump. How many hours on the motor?

Could be your impeller went kerplooey. Let us know if you need more help checking/replacing it. If you open the cover of the housing, you should be able to see if the vanes of the impeller are scraggly.

Could be your impeller went kerplooey. Let us know if you need more help checking/replacing it. If you open the cover of the housing, you should be able to see if the vanes of the impeller are scraggly.

jack, stop using the technical jargon...

Edited by jgouveia3

Ya, sorry. Thought that may have been a bit over the top. I'll drop things down a notch for the rest of the day. Then maybe Michael can understand what I'm t y p i n g .

If I shut the boat down right after a footin run, my temp will be that high when i restart it. It comes down quick after I start it back up though.

If it's 170 when you're running, it could be the imepeller or some junk at the intake or trans cooler screen.

The engine has 240 hours.

Where is the impellar and trans screen located?

Would the loud bellowing noise be no water in the exhaust until the impellar picks the water up?

Jason

Start at the lake water fitting on the bottom of your boat. This hose runs from the floor to the bottom front of your motor. This is the impeller housing. Take the cover off and see if you have an impeller with vanes all the way around it. You can also take the hose off at this point and see if there's anything in there--should be clear of rubber pieces, seaweed, etc.

The hose opposite goes to the transmission cooler. Take this hose off (both ends) and be sure it is free of obstruction as well. Then reach up into the tranny cooler with your finger. You should feel a metal grate that is free from obstruction.

Let us know what you find and good luck with it.

Would the loud bellowing noise be no water in the exhaust until the impellar picks the water up?

Jason

Jason, I don't mean to be crass, but if you don't know where the impellar or trans cooler screen is located,how did you know everything was OK when you looked around. Now to be constructive. Is your motor a Mercruiser 350? If so, and it has not been replaced with a Jabsco brass raw water pump, then it is the black plastic housing kind of underneath the front of the engine on the drivers side. It has the hose that comes from the bottom of the boat runnig into the back of the plastic housing. The second hose attached to the back runs over to the other side of the engine and is attached to a black tube. Kind of looks like a large sausage with hoses at either end, that black tube is the transcooler. Loosen the clamp on the hose running from the plastic impellar housing and remove hose, feel inside the nipple of the black tube and see if you find any debris. If there is and it is rubber pieces, good chance its your impellar. I had you do this first because changing the impellar on a Mercruiser is not as easy as it is on an Indmar. I found out it was easier to just remove the plastic housing to change impellar. Actually I replaced the whole housing with a Jabsco brass pump. Less risk of the housing warping or becoming brittle and cracking from the high heat down here in Fl. Unlike most we runour boats all year round. If you have a Mercruiser, you should be able to do a search on here under Mercruiser Raw Water Pump or the like and find details on removal. And if I remember right PIXS. Here is a Mercruiser sight with schematics of all Mercruiser engines so you can find out wich one is your. Mercruiser Engine Schematics

Jason

Jason, I don't mean to be crass, but if you don't know where the impellar or trans cooler screen is located,how did you know everything was OK when you looked around. Now to be constructive. Is your motor a Mercruiser 350? If so, and it has not been replaced with a Jabsco brass raw water pump, then it is the black plastic housing kind of underneath the front of the engine on the drivers side. It has the hose that comes from the bottom of the boat runnig into the back of the plastic housing. The second hose attached to the back runs over to the other side of the engine and is attached to a black tube. Kind of looks like a large sausage with hoses at either end, that black tube is the transcooler. Loosen the clamp on the hose running from the plastic impellar housing and remove hose, feel inside the nipple of the black tube and see if you find any debris. If there is and it is rubber pieces, good chance its your impellar. I had you do this first because changing the impellar on a Mercruiser is not as easy as it is on an Indmar. I found out it was easier to just remove the plastic housing to change impellar. Actually I replaced the whole housing with a Jabsco brass pump. Less risk of the housing warping or becoming brittle and cracking from the high heat down here in Fl. Unlike most we runour boats all year round. If you have a Mercruiser, you should be able to do a search on here under Mercruiser Raw Water Pump or the like and find details on removal. And if I remember right PIXS. Here is a Mercruiser sight with schematics of all Mercruiser engines so you can find out wich one is your. Mercruiser Engine Schematics

I opened the hood and back floor hatch and just looked everything over and seen nothing out of sorts. The boat has the 350 merc 260 hp. It has the black plastic housing. I wiil check this all over tomorrow. Thanks for the great explanation. Jason

Jason

I opened the hood and back floor hatch and just looked everything over and seen nothing out of sorts. The boat has the 350 merc 260 hp. It has the black plastic housing. I wiil check this all over tomorrow. Thanks for the great explanation. Jason

Sound is probably rubber on a plastic housing. If you run it at all without water the rubber impellar will burn plastic shavings off the housing and usually log themselves in the outflow hose nipple. When I got the 95 Echelon ,from just turning over the engine while checking the compression it burned the housing and partially split the impellar. I went to a brass pump, so its rubber on smooth metal. The housing doesn't get as hot as quick and no plastic shavings to tear up the impellar. Bet your impellar is at least cracked, check the trans cooler for debris. Your engine is probably the Mercruiser 350 Competition Ski. Check your serial no. with the schematics to see. Edited by Surfin247

I found the problem! The impellar is broken. The fins are laying in the trans cooler screen like you said. Thanks for all the help. Now I just have to figure out how to change it.

Jason

I found the problem! The impellar is broken. The fins are laying in the trans cooler screen like you said. Thanks for all the help. Now I just have to figure out how to change it.

Jason

What are you willing to spend SkiDim has the brass pump for $300 and already has the impellar in and lubed. Just unbolt the old pump. Take off the 4 bolts on the pulley(flywheel) on front of pump, detach the two hoses and replace with brass pump. Took 30 mins. The hardest thing I had was reaching the screws on the clamps to loosen the hoses on the old pump. Now everything is facing starboard for easy access. Those housings don't last to long if you are boating alot and they wear out you impellar quicker. Since it is such a pain to change I didn't want to have to do it as freqently. Plus the brass pump easily unbolts to gain access to the impellar housing unlike the plastic version,so i can leave the hoses attached to the cover and just remove housing and replace impellar. The plastic one is so hard to reach, it is easier just to take completely off.

My nieghbor brought one home for me and we were back in the water in no time. Its working perfectly.

Jason