Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does a helmet help or hender?

NvBoarder

So this is the ultimate question, nobody has a real answer on this, so I thought that this would be a great myth to be busted or not. The below link will take you to the Mythbuster site where you can put your two cents in, maybe if there is enough interest they might do it on a show in the future. Below is also what I put down to hopefully get there interest. You do however have to register for their site.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5261919888

Forum: The human body

I would like to see this myth also. I have had a concussion with and with out a helmet. Here are the facts of each situation.

Situation 1: Wake to wake jump 360 attempt no helmet, speed at 22 MPH. I was dazed and confused for about 30 minutes when I came around and realized where I was and what was going on. (I never passed out, I just don't remember anyting)

Situation 2: Wake to wake jump HS backroll attempt, w/ protec helmet, speed at 23.6 MPH. I was dazed and confused for about 6 hours when I came around and realized where I was and what was going on. (I never passed out, I just don't remember anything)

NO rail involved and didn't hit anything (Board, log, etc) So did the helmet hender or help, I don't know between the two incidents its been about two years and I have had a helmet on ever since the first concussion. I don't know what to think, was the second one worst because of the helmet or just the way I hit, does the helmet really help in most cases, who knows?????? This is why I want this Myth tested. In a basic Wake to Wake jump does a helmet help or hinder?

From what I have read and have been explained from a physician, after an accident with my sons friend, the helmet will help with concussions, however, it is designed to protect against broken eardrums more than concussions....

You would think if designed for this sport, a helmet should cushion a blow to the head thus reducing the severity of the impact. Sounds logical, but not sure since I have no experience in this area.

I only use a helmet on sliders/rails.

I use a helmet anytime im wakeboarding, I have taking some falls before having a helmet that would put me out for the day. I have takin some of those same kinds of falls with a helmet and get up and ride again. We also ride on the river most of the time and you never know what might be just under the surface. For this reason we keep spasre helmets in the boat for other riders that may not own one.

S.L.A.P.A.H.O. Thumbup.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie
I use a helmet anytime im wakeboarding, I have taking some falls before having a helmet that would put me out for the day. I have takin some of those same kinds of falls with a helmet and get up and ride again. We also ride on the river most of the time and you never know what might be just under the surface. For this reason we keep spasre helmets in the boat for other riders that may not own one.

S.L.A.P.A.H.O. Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gif

Besides "looking cool", there is no reason NOT to wear a helmet. Where it helps me the most is on those falls when you kind of "trip" over the wake and end up landing on the back of your head whiplash style. Before I wore a helmet, those falls would put me away, now it just stings a little and I continue on. Of course I'm 38 and I could give a crap how I look...I'm much more concerned with being able to take care of the kids and work.

But to the original question, if you hit your head hard enough, even with a helmet on, you'll get a concussion...my guess is it will lessen the damage though.

Edited by jshap
So this is the ultimate question, nobody has a real answer on this, so I thought that this would be a great myth to be busted or not. The below link will take you to the Mythbuster site where you can put your two cents in, maybe if there is enough interest they might do it on a show in the future. Below is also what I put down to hopefully get there interest. You do however have to register for their site.

I would like to see this myth also. I have had a concussion with and with out a helmet. Here are the facts of each situation.

Situation 1: Wake to wake jump 360 attempt no helmet, speed at 22 MPH. I was dazed and confused for about 30 minutes when I came around and realized where I was and what was going on. (I never passed out, I just don't remember anyting)

Situation 2: Wake to wake jump HS backroll attempt, w/ protec helmet, speed at 23.6 MPH. I was dazed and confused for about 6 hours when I came around and realized where I was and what was going on. (I never passed out, I just don't remember anything)

NO rail involved and didn't hit anything (Board, log, etc) So did the helmet hender or help, I don't know between the two incidents its been about two years and I have had a helmet on ever since the first concussion. I don't know what to think, was the second one worst because of the helmet or just the way I hit, does the helmet really help in most cases, who knows?????? This is why I want this Myth tested. In a basic Wake to Wake jump does a helmet help or hinder?

Your second situation could have been worse because it was the second occurance. Once you have a concussion, I believe you are more likely to continue getting them with similar or even less impact than the original occurance. At least that is what I have heard from hockey players and athletic trainers.

<a href="http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5261919888" target="_blank">http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5261919888</a>

Your second situation could have been worse because it was the second occurance. Once you have a concussion, I believe you are more likely to continue getting them with similar or even less impact than the original occurance. At least that is what I have heard from hockey players and athletic trainers.

That's what I was going to say too.

I absolutely hate wearing a helmet. It constantly drips water on your face and throws off my balance. The ear covers make me feel like I'm in a tunnel and any head initiated tricks seem funny with extra weight on your head.

each time, it will take less and the effects will last longer.

Yes.gif At this point, all I have to do is think real hard...

when was the last time you had a Concussion? Whistling.gif

I wear a helmet so I don't blow out a ear drum and for the whiplash. Plus I need to make it to work the next week.

I just started wakeboarding this year. On two falls I hit the side of by face and my eardrums were sore, the second time I felt I was very close to busting it, it was sore for 1 1/2 weeks. I read up on the subject and found that busted eardrums were very common in the sport. I looked into various ear protection and considered neoprene wraps and ear plugs but decided to go with a helmut with ear flaps. I have had many hard falls since and have not had further incidence of water penetrating the ear canal. It seemed to have lessened the impact to my head on several occasions as well. I have had the air knocked out of me but have not had my bell rung, this is important if you want to avoid drowning.

Other than the fact that the helmut looks gay, I am used to riding with the helmut and do not think it effects my wakeboarding other than giving me a little more confidence in the event of a fall.

Edited by Sandbagger
  • 1 month later...

My 10 year old just learning to go outside the wake tried a little jump and 5 staples in the head! I never really thought about a helmet, but after that, probably going to buy one. At least for the little guys. I have been wakeboarding since 1990 and haven't had a head injury to date, but I am only am intermediate.. good air, grabs, no flips, tantroms, etc. I am out for the season this year due to neck injury trying to 360 wake to wake. MRI says three bulging discs in my neck and one is pinching a nerve into my right arm. Holy $hit! Going in on the 19th to get some shots in between the discs. Anyhow, helmet good idea if going big or for small children

JMO

AF1

I think a helmet does help. I have three friends that now wear them after busted ear drums and 2 concussions. I have tried wearing a helmet on a couple of occasions and have noticed my crashes tend to be worse. I think there are two reasons why the crashes are worse 1)my invincibility meter goes up so trick dififculty goes up 2)I truly feel off balance with the darn thing on.

Bottom line, everytime I fall and hit my head on the water, it hurts less with a helmet on. I did not wear it a couple of times on vacation, inevitably slapped onto my back and got a headache. Helmet back on.

I've been knocked out twice over the years, both times not wearing a helmet. Both were wake backroll attempts, over rotated & smacked the wake good & hard. Been wearing the Protec ever since.

Wearing the Protec, I've had numerous crashes where I see stars, never with memory loss. But I'd be tempted to say the lights would have gone out had I not been wearing the helmet.

I heard a pro wakeboarder say he thinks the helmet mass collects the impact over a broad area and pin points it to one spot on your head. Without the helmet, the impact is spread across a broader area. Makes sense, but I still feel safer with a helmet on.

I have also heard riders say they are afraid of the "bucket effect". I can say for sure that does not happen with a Pro Tec Ace...........possibly due to all of the vent holes. I suppose throughout this discussion you should allow that all helmets are not created equal.

If for no other reason, I always wear a helmet for ear protection. I am 100% convinced I would have broken my eardrums on MANY occasions without the ear flaps.

A few weeks ago, my GF got hit in the forehead with the front edge of her wakeboard. The cut went all the way to the skull and required 25 sutures. She even had a small piece of the board stuck in her head. When we returned from the hospital, I put my helmet on her to see if it would have protected her forehead. The helmet covered the entire area. She was riding again within two weeks and happy to be sportin' a new helmet.

Another piece of safety gear I consider to be mandatory is a US Coast Guard approved vest. Can you imagine getting knocked out on a crash with both feet out of the bindings and a non approved vest? I do not think a comp vest would float you face up or float you high enough to be able to breathe. Even if the board stayed on you would be in dire straits, especially if you landed face down.

One time in my 30 years of water sports I left my approved vest at the house and borrowed a non approved vest. I was knocked out cold one minute into my first set. If I had been riding my wakeboard instead of a floaty hydrofoil, the situation could have been much worse. Not a sermon............just a thought. Biggrin.gif

Friend of mine got his first diagnosed concussion last weekend w/o a helmet. ER doc happened to be a boarder and asked if he was wearing his helmet. My friend said no, and the doc told us that the helmets for wake are designed to disperse the impact from say just your forehead to your entire head, thus lessening the blow to one specific area. If you hit your head hard enough, it will still cause a concussion, because it only lessens the blow so much. the biggest argument i have heard is that wearing the helmet increases the "size" of your head, and going in head first while rotating, can cause more stress on the neck, d/t the increased head size. Having said all that, my wife and I both picked up Bern helmets the next day. Next trip out, I "tested" the helmet a couple times, and continued riding when i would have normally needed a break.

Edited by AidansDad
each time, it will take less and the effects will last longer.

Yes.gif At this point, all I have to do is think real hard...

when was the last time you had a Concussion? Whistling.gif

There was the time a couple of years ago at WOW where she faceplanted so hard that she had a black eye from it (at the very least she had a raging headache, I remember that). Then there was the maneuver that garnered her the title of Scorpion Queen. :) I wasn't there to witness that one, but IIRC that was Kill #2 for the Crippla.

I only ever use my Helmet on sliders as I feel it hinders my spacial awarenes when doing inverts, however in competiitons it is compulsory (if there are rails) and only try dailled inverts wearing it. I do however think that it reduces impact on the neck and face lessening the effects of concussion. I have a Kayaking helmet with A HIGH BROW AND DOES NOT LEAK ON THE FACE

............. I feel it hinders my spacial awarenes when doing inverts,

I'd have to agree with this when using the ear flaps. Something about the rush in my ears effects my balance. Or maybe it's all in my head. Anyway, I wear the Protec without the ear flaps.