Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bouncing tachometer

Hey guys,

I have a 98 Response and the problem is the tach bounces from 0 to 6,000 rpm's constantly. None of the other guages have the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

try an 8 gauge wire from the Bus Bar to the battery for a better ground.

Thanks for the reply! Someone else told me the same thing. Where is the bus bar?

Should be under the dash on the starboard side. Should have a whole bunch of black wires attached. Also make sure all the wires currently there are secured well.

on my '00 response is is actually on the starboard side itself, not under the dash. its right in front of the throttle control.

Hey everybody,

Thank you very much for the info. I found the bus bar. It was right under the dash adjacent to the steering wheel on the right. I attached the 8 gauge wire to the battery, unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I guess the next task is to remove the dash to get to the tach itself and check for a bad ground on the back of the gauge. Any other suggestions.

I have a 97 Response with the same problem. Sometimes it works sometimes it dosen't. My perfect pass RPM is right on and I have checked the ground wires but still have the problem. I have just ignored it but I think the problem is in the gauge itself.

my '97 Echelon had this issue once. I pulled the tach and rotated the 4/6/8 cylinder switch several times. re-installed and it worked great. That tach has a tendency to corrode that connection. You may be able to do this with the tach in the cluster.

Thanks for all the responses! I have tried everything everyone has suggested. My latest was to pull the dash and check the connection at the gauge. Everything looked good. My tach doesn't have a 4/6/8 switch. The tach still bounces. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement tach for a 1998 Response LX/Fuel Injected 350/330 h.p.

My tach on my 2000 Sunsetter bounces too. I have put a dedicated ground to the buss bar, and have tried a spare tach. I have also made sure all my connections are clean. I still get the bounce. My boat has two batteries. One for the engine and gauges and a second for the stereo system. I am suspecting the device that keeps the batteries charged. I think it is spiking the power when it switches between batteries when charging.

I am just offering another place to look.

• 9 years later...

Wow, I was searching for a place to buy the MDC replacemnt for a 98 Response because after all these years I still have the same bouncing problem.  I am looking to sell my boat and feel the bouncing tach should be fixed before I sell it.  Any ideas on where to buy one for a 98 Response.