Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VLX Front Ballast Tank Issue

Pmott

Has anyone had a problem with keeping their front ballast tank filled? I am constantly refilling mine after every couple of sets because the water is draining/leaking somewhere. It doesn't appear to be leaking into the bilge. Any ideas?

this happens to me as well... i think when taking off from idle it drains through the drain pump out of the drain hole. i thought i had found the solution and kept them all running, but then my pump went out so i dont do it anymore... just keep refilling every 15 minutes.

same problem on our '06 VLX. It doesn't get more than half empty but I've noticed it and fill it every now and again.

this happens to me as well... i think when taking off from idle it drains through the drain pump out of the drain hole. i thought i had found the solution and kept them all running, but then my pump went out so i dont do it anymore... just keep refilling every 15 minutes.

The only real solution is an electronic check valve between the drain pump and the drain that only opens when the drain pump is on.

The only real solution is an electronic check valve between the drain pump and the drain that only opens when the drain pump is on.

It is due to syphoning. The water in your tank is draining back through where your water pickup is. Your pump is an areator pump so wheel spins either direction. When you take off and you get bow rise the water flows back through the fill hose and out the fill pump. My 2005 Vride came with a shut off valve attached to the thru hull fittng then came the areator pump. I can't remember what the name of the valve is, but mine had a yellow handle and when it was in line with the hose water flowed thru it,when it was turned 90 degrees it shut off water flow. After I fill up the mid ballast I then shut the valve, just remember to open it when you go to fill up the tank again. This same valve is on the raw water pickup line, so if a hose breaks on the engine you can close the valve, so no more raw water enters the boat and you can change out the hose. I thought Malibu made these valves standard on their boats in 2006. Someone on this forum will know the name of these valves I think ball valve but not sure. First take a look in your engine compartment and find where your water intakes are located and see if you have a valve before any of your pumps. On my boat when the valve is open it is right along side the areator pump, so it looks like part of the pump. If yours was on the backside of the pump you might not even know it was there because the pump is blocking your view. Take a look and a feel to see if its there. If not there easy to install.

I also forgot take a look in the hatch beside the driver seat. There is a pump attached to the mid ballast tank for draining that tank, and another thru hull fitting next to it. There might be a second pump there for your bow ballast. My Vride did not come with bow ballast, but the thru hull fitting is still there.

I was thinking of actually installing a little loop between the pump and the tank to prevent this. My rear tanks were filling on their own and I had to add a little extra push for the water to have to auto fill when I wasn't intending to. I'd think the same thing would work with the front, you could just extend the hose as high up as you can (not that there's a lot of room) to make it harder to draw out when the bow rises. After I think about it, I don't really mind looking at the ballast gauge every now and then to see if it needs to be topped off.