Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a 04 wakesetter

I have a couple questions

1) the engine covers on the DD can someone sit on them or are they not made for that type of weight.

2)This boat has the MLS in the ski locker how do I know when the ballast is full seems like there is water coming out the side when its filling and when its draining?

3) When I open the center storage there is a little water in there is that normal?

4)When i pull someone up it sounds like I have a turbo charger. Its like a whistling for a sec I have the monsoon engine is this a normal sound?

5) when going into reverse at first the boat seems to vibrate for a sec I am not sure if this is normal since the boat is going in one direction and you are throwing it in reverse and going in a different direction.

This is my first inboard that i have been on or owned. All I/O boats before this. What a difference in quality and wake. The only downside is the gas that thing blows through some gas. Anyone know how many gallons per hour that engine burns while pulling people wakeboarding at about 25rpm ?

1. I stand on mine all the time... the kids run and jump into the water from the locker covers with no problems.

2. When the water is flowing out the ports its full or you are draining it. There are no gauges on the 04

3. I always have a little water in the bottom, unless I have winterized it when all the water is totally removed.

4. Mine has a nice purr to it, not like what you discribe.

5. If you jam it in to fast or going to fast forward I feel some vibrations. I try to put it in reverse in slow speeds.

1. I stand on mine all the time... the kids run and jump into the water from the locker covers with no problems.

2. When the water is flowing out the ports its full or you are draining it. There are no gauges on the 04

3. I always have a little water in the bottom, unless I have winterized it when all the water is totally removed.

4. Mine has a nice purr to it, not like what you discribe.

5. If you jam it in to fast or going to fast forward I feel some vibrations. I try to put it in reverse in slow speeds.

Thanks for the quick reply I will have to take a look and see what that noise may be. It almost sounds like a turbo charger or maybe air intake sucking in air. Does not seem to effect the performance but being new to inboard wasn't sure if this was normal.

1) the engine covers on the DD can someone sit on them or are they not made for that type of weight.

2)This boat has the MLS in the ski locker how do I know when the ballast is full seems like there is water coming out the side when its filling and when its draining?

3) When I open the center storage there is a little water in there is that normal?

4)When i pull someone up it sounds like I have a turbo charger. Its like a whistling for a sec I have the monsoon engine is this a normal sound?

5) when going into reverse at first the boat seems to vibrate for a sec I am not sure if this is normal since the boat is going in one direction and you are throwing it in reverse and going in a different direction.

This is my first inboard that i have been on or owned. All I/O boats before this. What a difference in quality and wake. The only downside is the gas that thing blows through some gas. Anyone know how many gallons per hour that engine burns while pulling people wakeboarding at about 25rpm ?

1. 2 or 3 people sit on mine. we jump around on it, it can take some abuse.

2. when you are filling and the tank is full, it will drain out the side.

3. perfectly normal, if it worries you turn the bilge on.

4. mine sounds like this also, i love the noise

5. be sure not to go from forward to reverse to fast, or else that will occur.

Would this be cavitation, from changing the prop direction to quickly or going at to high of a rate of speed?

Would this be cavitation, from changing the prop direction to quickly or going at to high of a rate of speed?

That is what I was thinking it was. I am going to use it very lightly from now on and see if it happens. Yeah that whistling noise makes it sounds mean.

My engine cover has never had a problem. Be careful about driving the boat with people sitting on them, even at slow speeds. Because they are the same height as the sides of the boat, it is illeagal in some states to be driving with passangers sitting on them. Even if you just put the boat in gear to get away from the beach or something, you can be sited.

There was/is a throttle bug in early 2000+ malibu boats where the engine would slightly rev up

after going into neutral. So, if you jam it into reverse to quickly, your rpms haven't had time to settle down

yet. I believe there is a fix, but its probably just easier to be careful when changing gears.

By the way, Congrats on the new Bu' !

Yahoo.gif

Welcome.gif to the "CREW"!!

1. We sit stand and crawl all over the engine cover on mine. Is the 04 the same as 05 with the 2 lounge configuration in the cockpit or dose it just have the hood over the engine with walk-ways on either side?

2. While filling the MLS water should not spill out the side port until it's full (that's the que that it's full and to turn off the pump)

3. Mine usually has about an inch or two of water in there all the time while on the water (I think I have a slow leak in one of the ballast hoses) I don't worry about it much. There is a drain plug that allows the water in there to migrate back to the main bilge area under the motor and vice versa I removed the plug completely and put in the glove box to allow unrestricted flow. When on the trailer and the hull plug removed all the water drains out completely (or nearly so).

4. Mine doesnt have a whistle sound (I have the 340 Monsoon as well) Might check your air cleaner and air intake just to make sure everything is tight.

5. Going from forward to reverse at any speed above idle will cause cavitation and temporary vibration. Once in reverse and moving backwards I find that I can increase RPMs and speed in reverse with out vibration.

Which length did you get? 21 or 23?

Edited by UteBu

The whistling noise is probably your fuel pump. It is the silver canister on the passengerside and at the rear of the engine on DD. The fuel hose from the tank goes in the bottom of this pump. Some of the Monsoon's have a fuel filter that is connected by metal tubes just before the fuel pump. This filter might need changing. The whistling is because the boat is under heavy load at start and the pump is demanding a large amount of fuel and the filter is restricting some of that needed flow. I think there is also another fuel filter back by the gas tank