Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going to Coble's in August drive or fly?

Chef23

I am taking my 9 year old to Cobles in August the week of 8/17. I am debating driving down there. I live in MA and it is 750 miles which should take about 12 hours. I can get flights for $400 RT for the two of us but would need a rental car also because I have friends in the area I want to visit plus I hate being stranded without a car.

The other big issue with flying is how to get our stuff there. I will have two slaloms, two trick skis and my sons wakeboard plus ropes, vests, clothes, towels, sheets etc.

What do you think. I have never driven 12 hours anywhere. Here in the Northeast nobody drives 12 hours anywhere.

Check with your airline often you are allowed a sports bag without affecting your luggage load. If you remove binding you might be able to get the three sets in the same bag and no one will complain. You might be able to get a sports bag for each of you with not cost...

Drive. That way you can bring all your gear and that drive through the mountains in Virginia is beautiful. Coble's is in the middle of nowhere. They take you out in a van on a couple of the nights but I'd hate to be stuck without a car. As much as I love the place, I must say that the accommodations are a bit sparse so getting off campus now and then is a nice treat.

Plus, FWIW it is a completely dry campus so if you're someone who doesn't mind a cold one or a glass of wine at the end of the day you'll be missing your car. There's not much in town but they have a couple of little restaurants that aren't too bad. We drove from Chicago last spring and I wouldn't do it any other way. You'll have a blast.

I "commuted" from Southern RI to Raleigh for 1 1/2 years. it is a tough drive, because you hit just about every major city on the east coast.

I would do the drive too, just so you have your own gear and don't need the rental car. Word of caution, do NOT leave on a Sunday afternoon heading south. the traffic from Newport, the cape, etc all converge, and the trip through CT will take HOURS...leave as early as possible that Sunday, if you are skiing monday - friday.

With 2 of you and all that gear - drive... However I'm from the Mid-West & routinely drive 6-8 hours to visit family. I've done a few 15-16 hour drives before too - SE PA to AL.

The upside is less expensive, you have your car & gear, don't have to worry about your gear getting abused by the airlines.

The down side to driving is the extra day off needed on Friday (and the likely extra hotel on Thursday night somewhere part way home) or missing some sets on Thurs.

Take a few breaks for meals/stretches & it will be over before you know it. We like to get books on tape or CD for longer trips & a portable DVD player/video game should help keep your son occupied.

Coble's is a fantastic place to ski/board & learn.

I am leaning toward driving. My thought is to leave on either Saturday night or first thing Sunday morning. I want to get there early enough to be rested and be able to ski on Monday morning. On Thursday at the end of the day we will take off and drive for 4 hours or so then find a hotel somewhere to break up the drive.

The company I work for is headquartered in Raleigh and I drove out to Coble's 2 years ago so I know it is in the middle of nowhere. I have a bunch of friends in the area so we will probably hook up with some of them for dinner so I definitely need wheels.

I have been to Coble's 3 times so far. I live in central Maine, so it is another 3 - 4 hours more than what you would do. We have flown twice and driven once. Under your situation, with all of the equipment that you would like to bring, I would drive. It's not that bad and it is very nice to bring the equipment that you want.

When flying we pack the skis in a Sport Tube. Helps the skis travel safely on the plane.

We like the little Mexican restaurant in town if you happen to go out. Have fun!