Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

lookin at a 98 malibu response lx

i might be gettin a 98 malibu response lx with 1000 hrs looks clean 1 owner says never had a problem other then putting new steerin cables on it

my question is what is the maintance on this ??

i mean does it need new timing chain water pump etc.

i kno im in the dark over here but what would you replace to be safe

and whats the life on those 350 motors??

any info is good info thanks!!

:)

Sounds like it's been used & well cared for - which is a good combination in a boat. Which engine in the boat?

No set schedule for changing any major components on the engine. Check the manual on Indmar's site to see the maintenance schedule.

The only things I'd change are the typical maintenance/tune-up items - if the current owner hasn't replaced them this year...

Check compression to see that gaskets/rings are OK right now.

Listen carefully to see if there are any other unusual noises.

Replace Oil, filter, trans oil, impeller, plugs, cap, rotor, belts - check hoses.

Typical life span between rebuilds is 2000+ hours. There are others here who have experienced failures well before that and some who have gone well beyond that.

I would agree with wienrdog, when I bought my 97 response lx last summer it only had 300 hours on it and I did everything he mentioned, I basically replaced everything I could. It was kind of expensive but in the big scheme of things I thought the invest was minimal not knowing the type of care the previous owner had done. I looked at it like you better off doing all of those things on the front end then getting it on the water and experiencing some sort of failure, your place serivicing your BU should have plenty of other suggestions also.

expect to replace parts with that many hours, but you could with an older boat just the same.

as mentioned if its been maintained the motor can run 2000+ easily.

only hold back is resale IMO.

you would want to get a good price on it, he'll have a hard time selling with so many hours... and so will you down the road with more on it...

as for the engine he just said a chevy 350 thats all i really kno

i might be gettin a 98 malibu response lx with 1000 hrs looks clean 1 owner says never had a problem other then putting new steerin cables on it

my question is what is the maintance on this ??

i mean does it need new timing chain water pump etc.

i kno im in the dark over here but what would you replace to be safe

and whats the life on those 350 motors??

any info is good info thanks!!

:)

From the pix, let's look at a couple quick things

1. The vinyl on the locker and top of the rear seat looks to be stained or worn. Bad staining on the observer's seat.

2. The carpet around the engine box is stained and well worn. I know the boat is 11 model years old, but these are things

people will look at when you go to sell it.

3. I see the PP servo, but don't see the PP gauge on the dash. The photos are not very close on the dash, so as you post more pix it might

show up. I might see a gray display on top of the steering wheel, but it's hard to tell.

4. I can't tell if that is dirt or if the gel on the transom is faded a bunch. Might just be lotsa waterspots.

5. Is that the correct trailer? The boat is several inches off the bow roller and the bow strap looks to be severely frayed. It is probably the

correct trailer and the boat is just not loaded all the way.

6. Unless someone replaced the plug wires with OEM, they are the originals. 10 years might be time to think about doing that

7. SS prop...probably a CVP which will need to go. The prop has some good dings in it...probably won't vibrate, tho.

8. The rusting/color of the rudder is odd.

Call the dealer and get the service history.

IMO, the boat does not meet your original statement of "looks clean." This boat is very dirty and based on the marks, scuffs, stains, and overall appearance, it was not wiped with a diaper by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by martho

The guide poles on the trailer also look rusted at the bottom. Is the prop guard rusty? The drivers side exhaust manifold appears pretty rusty too. Many of the bolts, fasteners, pulleys, starter ect. on the engine look rusty also. Fresh water will not pit a bronze rudder. Look the trailer over very good. They rust from the inside out, especially if used in salt/brackish water.

Just cause he 'said' it was not used in salt water does not make it true....

Edited by BillFooter

thanks for your post but i never figured if you thought it was a ok deal or not?

im thinkin a little more bout lookin around for somethin a little better condition now lol but thats why i posted it up its good to get other peoples views cause i can talk myself into about buying about anything :unsure:

The only person that it matters to if it's a good deal or not is you. What may be a good deal to me might not be a good deal to you. You are the one that needs to be happy with the deal. Where are you located and how many boats have you looked at so far?

im in nc and there isnt much to choose from used that is and all the used boats i found i can get a new one for just a little more idk i guess i need to just slow down and keep lookin Cry.gif

thanks for your post but i never figured if you thought it was a ok deal or not?

im thinkin a little more bout lookin around for somethin a little better condition now lol but thats why i posted it up its good to get other peoples views cause i can talk myself into about buying about anything :unsure:

For a 1000 hour boat that is 10+ years old it doesn't look to bad, I doubt the boat was run in saltwater because the motor is so rust free. The rudders can take on a funny color if the boat is acid washed at the end of the season. I see interior cosmetic issues, but the exterior doesn't have any huge gouges or scratches in the side.

I would see what you negotiate on the deal, after all money talks.

-Chris

i am not going to say whether its a good deal or not, but my opinion as far is salt/brakish is that it has NOT been used in it (not all the time, anyway). I have a 2000 RLX that is used in salt water, and if that is the original trailer and it was used in salt, it would have been destroyed about...8 years ago. my bu trailer lasted 3 seasons (and it was only used twice a year, to and from the ramp).

I think the engine has just been used hard for 1000 hrs. i have fresh water cooling, flush regularly and after 7 seasons still needed to replace exhaust manifolds and risers. I think this boat was probably just left in a fresh water lake that had some high mineral content (i don't know what, i am a programmer, not a chemist, although i did stay at a holiday inn a few weeks ago). seeing how it is stored in a barn, with that big old tractor behind it, is it used at a private pond that he drags it up and down some dirt road back and forth?

You did mention NC, is it close to the coast or intracoastal? then maybe it has had the occasional splash in salt/brackish (yeah, ok, so I just contradicted everything i typed about). I just don't think it has "enough" salt water abuse look to it (for example, on my ride, anything that is not stainless within the engine compartment is heavily rusted, the engine cover shocks are rusted away, the motot mounts, etc).

Also it does look the PP gauge is the old rectangular guage, mounted on the dash above the wheel. My '99 promo RLX had that guage, mounted to right hand side a bit more.

JMHO.

The interior is THRASHED. That right there, would have me looking elsewhere. The hull looks in good shape. I mean no deep gouges or scratches, needs alot of TLC. It amazes me that people try to sell boats & don't even wash/polish/wax them. Just that would tell me it may have been neglected on other things, like maintenance.

Other things to consider...

-Does it have a bimini top?

-A cover?

-You'll want to replace the prop, if you hit something with a stainless prop you most likely will take out the shaft & strut. New prop $350-$450

Edited by beast

ARe you dealing with Eric In Shrevport? that building looks familiar like where the pictures of my Echelon were taken that I bought from him.

when i took the pics he had just got it out of the lake it was in there for like a week and a half he told me it was still dirty atleast

and the seats some of it cleans off but not much i think