Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'08 23' Wakesetter Rack Squeaks

My new '08 23' Wakesetter VLX rack squeaks (very bad) in slightly choppy water when travelling above 20 mph. I noticed the fit up on the rack to rack-base is "off" by about a 1/4".... poor fit-up. The Dealer lowered the rack and put in additional washer where the quick-release pin is. That didn't work. I took it back to the dealer and they spent several hours trying to tighten it up. It improved but still squeaks. The squeak seems to be coming from one of the support pins (one's an all-thread and the other is the quick release) and is clearly coming from the starboard side.

The owner of the dealership looked at it the second time they worked on it and suggested that we take the rack off, remove the rack base, re-glass and prep the top of the boat where the base is attached and re-install the rack base so that it lines up correctly.

As a new boat owner, I'm not real excited about having to do this kind of work on my brand new boat.

1) Has anyone else had a squeaking rack?

2) Is the described fix above not that big of a deal?

3) Any suggestions?

4) Are there "Malibu Reps" who visit dealers to look at these kinds of problems or is it totally up to the dealer to figure this out?

When I say it squeaks, I mean that anyone riding in the boat thinks they're riding in an old 1970's piece of crap boat...that how it "squeaks".

Thank you.

Do you have a VLX or a 23' If you have a 23' (LSV), do you have the Illusion XS tower, or the Illusion X tower?

Is your tower black or a custom color?

Do you have a VLX or a 23' If you have a 23' (LSV), do you have the Illusion XS tower, or the Illusion X tower?

Oops...long 5 days on the water ... it's a 23' LSV, tower is black and i'm not sure which tower I have (can't remember).

Thanks

Oops...long 5 days on the water ... it's a 23' LSV, tower is black and i'm not sure which tower I have (can't remember).

Thanks

I've got the Illusion XS

There is a bushing kit from Metcraft the manufacturer of the tower. They have bushings for the front screws and rear quick pins that should solve the squeak.