Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

throttle cable -Morse vs. teleflex?

had a great weekend on the malibu with family and friends Rockon.gif !

we put about 18 hours on the motor in 4 days Thumbup.gif !

watched fireworks on two different lakes both friday and saturday....skied very early friday and sunday. my head was still a little numb from the night before, but all was good!

saturday morning we woke up and took out the boat to discover the throttle cable was broken....really weird as it didn't happen when it was driving and the boat ran perfectly friday night. my daughter and neice were in the boat (in the garage) early saturday morning, so maybe they messed with and it it broke?!...still not sure.

anyway, luckily the dealer in new london-spicer had a 16' teleflex cable which we picked up and installed ($35).

we pulled out the old morse cable and replaced with the teleflex. we adjusted for idle and all seemed well. (all while catching up with an old lake friend in his garage.....lemonade + jack daniels!)

my question is....it there much of a quality difference between morse and teleflex? i'm always a little hesitant to replace worn/broke parts with non OEM stuff so I'm just curious.

i'm grateful the local shop even had the correct part as inboard stuff is really hard to find outside of minneapolis/st. paul (namely the malibu, mastercraft and nautique dealerships) Biggrin.gif .

i plan to keep the teleflex in unless otherwise instructed....it works fine. the throttle action seems the same as the morse...maybe a little stiffer (which is kinda nice because it hold RPM very well now).

:unsure: Unless I'm mistaken...I believe Morse Controls, Inc. is out of business. They were actually purchased...by Teleflex. :)

You're good...Teleflex puts out a good quality product. Thumbup.gif

:unsure: Unless I'm mistaken...I believe Morse Controls, Inc. is out of business. They were actually purchased...by Teleflex. :)

You're good...Teleflex puts out a good quality product. Thumbup.gif

I agree. I researched it a year ago and Teleflex bought Morse Controls. I am used to the older Morse throttles, but I'm sure Telflex are pretty smooth and operate easily/well.

took the kids to the MN science museum this weekend. we checked out the traveling Star Wars exhibit; cool stuff.

anyway, they have an old towboat (from the 60's) ontop the museum, overlooking the mighty mississippi. i was surprised to find an old morse, dual-bronze throttle control lever in the cab!

the towboat's odometer had nearly 6,000 hours! wonder if those hours were just for the last engine?! Rockon.gif