Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ENGINE FAULT-> Security Mode->Service required

Cat B Temp sensor SPN 65672 CM0 Voltage Low or above Normal RNG  

1. 1. Did you face this before?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. How Did you fix this?

• Changed the sensor!!
    • Changed the elbow!!
    • Changed the Z Shifter!!
    • None of the above
  3. 3. What else might be the reason for this annoying fault?

Sorry to repost this but did not feel to get a solid clear answer of the possibilities on this problem...

The fault code is (Cat B Temp sensor SPN 65672 CM0 Voltage

short or above normal RNG FMI 3 0c 49).

This happened on our new 2008 VLX with monsoon 340 CE-PACKAGE with catalysts & Closed Cooling system.

Did not change the Z shift recall yet.

Did not change any kind of exaust elbow (noticed this recall after a research in previous posts in the forum)

This problem started after the 10 hour service (changed oil, filters)

Machine went into security mode (limited revs)

After restarting the engine the revs were unlimited but the dash showed "SERVICE REQUIRED" every 5 minutes.

DIACOM software shows the same codes as the diagnostic on the dash.

After we deleted the codes we had a small ride without any ENGINE FAULT but still with the message "service required".

During the diagnostic we saw one bended water tube and thought that we found the problem.

It seems that its something from the factory since it happend again. From what i read here i believe its either the sensor or the elbow.

Engine Fault ->limited Revs->ServiceRequired

Please read the following concerning the elbows issued by

Mr.Larry Engelbert Director of Customer Service @ Indmar

Marine Engines.

Here is some important information for owners of 2008 model

Monsoon and Hammerhead engines. Indmar issued a service

bulletin to the Malibu dealers asking them to inspect the

exhaust elbows on a group of 2008 model Monsoon and

Hammerhead engines starting with engine serial number 144156

and ending with serial number 146758. Some of the engines in

this group may have been built with exhaust elbows that have

restricted water passages that will not allow sufficient

water flow to cool the exhaust hoses adequately. This is

issue didn't show up at our end of line test at Indmar or at

Malibu's lake test because the engines are not run long

enough or under the right conditions to have the problem

occur.

Inspection is simple. We have provided a measuring tool to

the dealers to allow them to remove the exhaust hose and

measure the gap between the inner and outer wall of the

exhaust elbow. If the gap is too small, they are to replace

the elbow. The whole process is pretty simple. If you have

an engine in this group and already have some hours on it

without experiencing a problem, your exhaust elbows are

probably just fine. Most of the failures we have seen have

occurred in the first 10 hours of operation.

Indmar is very sorry about this situation. We are dedicated

to provide our our customers with the best products

possible. Unfortunately when you are on the leading edge of

technology, unexpected problems occur.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service

Indmar Marine Engines

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....ic=14654&hl

As i know the technisian named TIM LEIBICH at malibu has solved this problem before.

Thank you for reading all the above and looking forward for your answer.

Hmmm... The poll doesn't seem to be working -- it won't let me vote.

More importantly, I am getting the same error, yet my serial number is lower than 144156 on my 2008 VLX. They didn't switch to a smaller exhaust elbow later, I wouldn't think. Plus, I didn't have any problems for the first 120 hours, but had my throttle shifter replaced at 118 hours. It seems to be related.

My boat had the exhaust recall done and just started that code as well, although it started it just prior to the new throttle being put in...Had a tech look at it and based on what he found he thinks it is a bad temperature sensor in the cat. My new one shipped yesterday so I will see if it fixes the problem. Boat has just over 30 hours on it.

I had the same problem, only on side A of the Cat. It was the first run after the throttle change. The same problem others have had. I contacted my dealer service and they said they did the inspection for the exhaust elbow as it does fall in the window and was told I was OK. Then I asked about the Service Warning on the computer. I was advised that the Cat temp Sensor is a redundant system and that Inmar was having trouble with them. I'm currently unable to clear the "active" fault and was told if I cut the wires between the connection and the metal tube and twist them together it will read OK. The permanent fix will be to solder in a resistor in that line and completely ignore the 2nd sensor. Any group comments on this?

I'm currently unable to clear the "active" fault and was told if I cut the wires between the connection and the metal tube and twist them together it will read OK. The permanent fix will be to solder in a resistor in that line and completely ignore the 2nd sensor. Any group comments on this?

Well, if the second sensor is completely unnecessary, why did they design it that way the first time? I wouldn't feel comfortable with that solution -- if the sensors are going bad, let's get some better sensors -- or at least some spares. It doesn't look hard to replace, though not having done it, maybe it is trickier than it looks.

I'll let the dealer do the repair under warranty, but it sounds like I could have the same trouble again soon. I have been told twice (two sources) that this has nothing to do with the shifter change.

I was also told the sensor is fairly redundant, but that I am best just running with the code and clearing the service required as it pops up.

I was also told the sensor is fairly redundant, but that I am best just running with the code and clearing the service required as it pops up.

But for me, in addition to the error, the boat won't get completely up to speed again. I have to turn it off and restart it. Cry.gif

Now, is there a way to completely clear out the error? I just hit the center button on the right side to temporarily clear it, but the ENG FAULT keeps occuring and bringing it back. It seems to show up most at idle, like when the driver is returning to me after a fall.

But for me, in addition to the error, the boat won't get completely up to speed again. I have to turn it off and restart it. Cry.gif

Now, is there a way to completely clear out the error? I just hit the center button on the right side to temporarily clear it, but the ENG FAULT keeps occuring and bringing it back. It seems to show up most at idle, like when the driver is returning to me after a fall.

According to Malibu, there are different codes regarding the CAT SENSORS that affect the performance.

This happened to my boat with just 3 hours on it! Now the left side controls don't work. I am not sure I am happy with all the electronics. On off switches seem to have been better. The fancier it gets, the more problems. I can't even run the blower motor, horn etc. Taking boat in to dealer, new this year, with a repair list of 13 items....doesn't seem right!

I have a long list of gripes as well Lovetoski.

I agree that is doesn't seem right.

I had a 2006 response LX and I loved it.

The 2008 wakesetter LSV i have now --- I don't love it. I am getting to hate it.

Now my Power wedge doesn't work.

This sucks.

A very poor showing for Malibu. If they don't fix things up I may look elsewhere for a decent boat.

I can't even run the blower motor, horn etc.

Yeah, you can. It is possible to add/delete/change the functions of the buttons on the right panel.

Just out of curiosity, did you try unplugging the harness behind the left LCD panel and then plugging it back in?

Just got the sensor changed and code deleted. I will be running the boat extensively tomorrow so we will see if the code comes back.

Just got the sensor changed and code deleted. I will be running the boat extensively tomorrow so we will see if the code comes back.

All of you having post catalyst temp sender issues need to check with your dealers. Indmar has released a Service Advisory and a new calibration for 2008 Monsoons and Hammerhead 383's that will resolve the issue of the post cat temp sensor setting a code at the dashboard of the boat and putting the engine into power reduction.

Larry Engelbert

Engine Nut

Indmar Marine Engines

All of you having post catalyst temp sender issues need to check with your dealers. Indmar has released a Service Advisory and a new calibration for 2008 Monsoons and Hammerhead 383's that will resolve the issue of the post cat temp sensor setting a code at the dashboard of the boat and putting the engine into power reduction.

Larry Engelbert

Engine Nut

Indmar Marine Engines

Update to earlier post. Dealer came out and jumpered the sensor. Cut and spliced the wires together as a temporary fix. So far it has cleared the fault. When I get it back closer to dealer he has some type of resistor to solder in. Anybody else try this?

Yeah, you can. It is possible to add/delete/change the functions of the buttons on the right panel.

My left panel went out with less than 5 hours on the boat too. Easy swap under warranty.

But, how do you add/delete/change functions on the right panel?

My left panel went out with less than 5 hours on the boat too. Easy swap under warranty.

Simultaneously hold the 'page' button and the two far right buttons. There are detailed instructions on here someplace but I can't find them just now.

My dealer did this for me. So everything is working off the right side. I tried to disconnect left side but couldn't figure out how to pull the wires off (either really tight or I was doing it wrong...didn't want to screw anything up). So now all my controls are working off the right side. Apparently they have had so many problems with these controls that they are BACK ORDERED from the place that makes them!!!