Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Annoying jet-skiers!

crom

Need to vent! My wife had backed the trailer into the lake tonight, and I was just coming up to load up the Bu, was about 50-75 feet from the trailer when a friggin idiot on a jet-ski roars right through in front of me, causing wake all over hell! Then saw my real dirty look and takes off! Made me just want to chase after the twit and swamp his little toy with a real watercraft! Whistling.gif Anyone else have this problem?

i hate when theres only ONE smooth part of the lake... and it is ruined by jet skiers and tubers... ruins my day...

Do a search on the word "jetski" or "lake lice" and you'll see that most here don't like the little homo-chariots all that much.

MalibuNation
Do a search on the word "jetski" or "lake lice" and you'll see that most here don't like the little homo-chariots all that much.

Vermin.

This year I haven't seen one jet skier on my lake, weird, but I'm not complaining - maybe it's the price of gas ... that didn't stop me from putting in $180.00 worth of gas in my Bu on Sunday.

I hate them also, but I would own one. Even thou I would be more reponsible and repect others on the water. Oh yea I think there great for wake skating and sliders.

I think next time I have the problem of a Jetskier following my boat with a rider. I will get their attention and show them the back of my Shirt which says "US Coast Guard Federal Law Enforement." Biggrin.gif But most of the time I will get their attention and ask them not to ride my wake with a rider up. If they repect my request later on the day I will throw them a wave for them to jump.

Edited by CumminsBu

We call them Wave Rats down here in arkansas. There is one great cove by my house and they love to collect in there and ride 20 feet behind my rider. I thought about bringing a bb gun, but didn't think it was worth what might happen if the lake patrol caught me shooting wave rats.

A paintball gun might be a reasonable alternative if they're that close. Though still not much better in the eyes of the lake patrol.

I have no problems with Jet-Ski's themselves - I owned one for 10 years. They are just as much fun on glass as skiing and on a public lake have just as much right to the water as we do.

Put an irresponsible/inconsiderate rider on one & that's another story. Sounds like you found one of them. Would he have been the same 'friggin-idiot' if he were on a pontoon or I/O?

Rule enforcement/education is the best defense. I've seen plenty of jet-skier's getting $100 tickets written on the lakes we used to use in N. Miss, but hardly anywhere else.

Here is a jet ski incident I have not heard of. A driverless jet ski came out of nowhere and came VERY close to taking out my rider and my boat. The driver was in the water a good distance away yelling "My bracelet broke" in the gheyest voice I have ever heard. Apparently he was talking about the wrist band connected to his kill switch. That sounded like a good excuse, so I immediately considered pointing the boat right at him at full throttle while yelling "Kill switch dude, Sorry!" Fortunately, berating him for not maintaining his safety gear proved to be almost as much fun.

A driverless jet ski came out of nowhere and came VERY close to taking out my rider and my boat.

Did it eventually run aground? Clap.gif I'd pay to see that. Clap.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Sunday the wife and I was at our favorite spot on the lake enjoying the calm when a couple of kids showed up on one. Around and around they went. Mad.gif I had hoped they'd just pass on by, but they didn't. Within a few minutes another boat and pontoon showed up with more people.

I figured the day would be ruined by them taking turns on the jetski around and around the island we were setting at.

We pulled up our anchor and went to cove. Sometimes it is just better to move on.

Funny how when we talk about idiots, we keep the comments to jet-skis, pontoon boats, and I/O's... They come in all watercraft... last sunday there was an A-hole in a Malibu surfing in the glass, ~200' from the dock where my boat was tied up.

This was about a 1/4 mile stretch with homes... go beyond that and he could have the river to himself.

...last sunday there was an A-hole in a Malibu surfing in the glass, ~200' from the dock where my boat was tied up.

Stewart... Fingerwag.gif...stop surfing in front of Troy's house. Fingerwag.gif

:lol: j/k Biggrin.gif

We were getting ready to leave the lake last week. I had gone to get the truck and trailer while my wife waited in the boat well outside the launch area. I backed the trailer in and watched as she started heading in. Just a short distance away, there was a girl who could not have been more than 11 or 12 alone on a jetski idling around pulling two other girls on a tube in the launch area. They cut my wife off and forced her to circle around once. As she comes around to try again, the girl goes in front of her again and this time the two girls both fall off the tube. How do you fall off a tube at idle speed? I can tell the teacher in my wife is about to come out as she stands up and lets these kids have it. After she informs them of the proper ettiquette around the launch area, I am wondering to myself, where is the parent here? Just then I look to my left and see a minivan coming down the ramp with a jetski trailer and watch as the mother jackknifes the trailer right into the concrete barrier. Luckily for me, she didn't go the other way into my tow vehicle. We loaded up and left, but it just left us shaking our heads.

Funny how when we talk about idiots, we keep the comments to jet-skis, pontoon boats, and I/O's... They come in all watercraft... last sunday there was an A-hole in a Malibu surfing in the glass, ~200' from the dock where my boat was tied up.

This was about a 1/4 mile stretch with homes... go beyond that and he could have the river to himself.

He's got a point here, I notice a lot of the surfers on our lake like to get into the coves and still spots when they could have the whole lake. Does anyone surf any better on glass? I know I can't tell a difference but I'm a beginner.

...last sunday there was an A-hole in a Malibu surfing in the glass, ~200' from the dock where my boat was tied up.

Stewart... Fingerwag.gif...stop surfing in front of Troy's house. Fingerwag.gif

:lol: j/k Biggrin.gif

It had a blue powder coated swoop tower - and if you're out there Mr. Retard surfer, stopping the boat mid pull is not generally the way to keep the surfer up, and plowing the water in front of a tiny stretch of homes over & over again for 3 days is not the way to make friends. :Doh:

I have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of people on the water don't even realize that skiers and boarders like calm water (hence when we are the only boat on the water they come charging right towards us and do donuts with their PWC). My neighbor thought that we liked skiing over waves until I had a chat with him. I have learned to just go with the flow and not get worked up. It is another reason why we ski early in the morning and get off the water before the "gnats" come out.

A few weeks ago I had a boarder in the water and here come two jet skis at idle speed. one of the guys had obviously never been on a jet ski before, was busy smoking, and did not have a life jacket on (very illegal). they start to get close to my rider (still in the watter but with the rope in hand), I am waiting for them to get out of the way because I have no idea what they will do... as they get closer the first guy (one with a life jacket) starts yelling at the other that we have a rope in the water (go figure). so the second decides to come over and help my boarder (why no one will ever know). then proceeds to hit my riders board with the jet ski! my rider politely told him that we had the rope under control and he finally made it away. for the most part we just waited it out dumbfounded that someone could be so incompetent.

ROFL.gif

I have no problems with jet skiis. The drivers just need to have some common sense, following a skier 20 feet away is not a good idea. Neither is doing doughnuts in front of a boat, cutting people off or any of that stuff. It's really just not jet skies either, you have people who don't know what they are doing and just do whatever they feel like. I have no problems with them and actually have one. Usually if we are out cruising when the waters a mess and the jet skiers aren't being stupid, I'll slow down to 18 to throw them a wake and crank up the tunes. It's a time and a place issue along with common sense.

Edited by malibubts
I have no problems with jet skiis. The drivers just need to have some common sense, following a skier 20 feet away is not a good idea. Neither is doing doughnuts in front of a boat, cutting people off or any of that stuff. It's really just not jet skies either, you have people who don't know what they are doing and just do whatever they feel like. I have no problems with them and actually have one. Usually if we are out cruising when the waters a mess and the jet skiers are being stupid, I'll slow down to 18 to throw them a wake and crank up the tunes. It's a time and a place issue along with common sense.

I would do that for someone I know a while back but not any more!! Seen to many close calls and one jetski to boat collision that resulted in lots of repiar to the boat and very little damage to the ski.

I have no problems with jet skiis. The drivers just need to have some common sense, following a skier 20 feet away is not a good idea. Neither is doing doughnuts in front of a boat, cutting people off or any of that stuff. It's really just not jet skies either, you have people who don't know what they are doing and just do whatever they feel like. I have no problems with them and actually have one. Usually if we are out cruising when the waters a mess and the jet skiers are being stupid, I'll slow down to 18 to throw them a wake and crank up the tunes. It's a time and a place issue along with common sense.

I would do that for someone I know a while back but not any more!! Seen to many close calls and one jetski to boat collision that resulted in lots of repiar to the boat and very little damage to the ski.

I see what your saying. As I said as long as they are being safe and are using common sense I'll throw a wake. But as soon as the start cutting other people off or getting to close to my boat I cut it off.

As an owner of both jet ski and boat I'm always deferring to a boat pulling a skiier or wakeboarder. There are known smooth spots of our lake and you always see jetskis or a boater pulling a tube or kneeboard. This drives me nuts. I'm teaching my kids the proper way to drive the jetski, if you see a boat with someone in tow just get out of the way.

This just happened to me last week, we were coming back to the launch to pick up another rider when these two guy's were stunting on Kawi jet ski's right by the boat launch, he was sitting on the nose driving it backwards not watching where he was going, i was coming in slow honking the horn to alert him that he was too close for comfort when he heard us last minute he spun around then proceeded to jump right behind us. Stupid F***ers'. i should mention i'm German so i have a very short temper but if i knew they wouldn't vandalize my truck and trailer in the parking lot i would beat the piss out of these little punks!!!

Someone I know has a yellow flashing light in his boat. After one close call with a jet ski, he put the light on the dash and went over to them for a little chat. Several questions later, with points being made, he told the kid to ride safely. The FOUR jet skis from that camp were more sedate for the remainder of the day.