Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

750's Draining on Their Own

jtrovato

So I noticed yesterday while out and doing some surfing that the 750 sac in the rear locker was draining on its own. I filled it up completely and then did a run on the surfboard and re-checked the locker after my run because it seemed as if the wave got smaller as we went and sure enough, it looked like about 1/8th-1/4 of the bag had drained on its own. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? I have it connected up with all the stock pumps and lines, fill line on the front top, drain line on the rear bottom, vent line on the rear top. Is it just going out the vent line? The thru hulls are under water when we're under way so I can't tell if it's coming out of there or not.

I also have a problem where when I'm filling this sac, the water starts to come out the vent line before it's full. I reach in and pull the vent hose up high to get it to stop but it still trickles out a little bit. Do I have a problem with the vent line not being high enough? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Jay

Mine leak back thru the fill line, so I added a one way, inline valve: http://www.simmonsmfg.com/online_catalog/v...s/valves13.html

I am having the same problem on my bow ballast. Going to do the same up there.

As for the vent, dunno...I would certainly make sure it is as HIGH as possible and obviously toward the FRONT of the boat. Mine currently vents from the back ( :Doh: ) so I need to swap it around as I am not sure it is getting completely FULL.

Hope this helps,

I've had the same issue with my emptying. I believe it's siphoning out the fill line. I've closed off the fill line with the valve and it stays up just fine. I would highly doubt it's going out the vent. I've never seen water go out the vent or the empty hole without the switch turned on. It has to be siphoning out the fill.

I have the end of the bag with two holes towards the back of the boat. I believe I have the vent coming from the front of the bag, the fill in the rear on top, and the empty of course on the rear bottom.

Assuming your fill line is on the top, be sure to not fill it up all the way, leaving just a little air in the sack, then tug up on the fill hose, to break the seal with the rest of the water (get the bubble into the hose)

This will also break the siphon - and you should be good

Assuming your fill line is on the top, be sure to not fill it up all the way, leaving just a little air in the sack, then tug up on the fill hose, to break the seal with the rest of the water (get the bubble into the hose)

This will also break the siphon - and you should be good

Yup, this is what we're doing now :)

I have the same problem. We also have the vent line that will siphon out the water in the sac. I have the front of the sac with the two fittings for fill on top and drain on bottom. The vent is on the back top side with the hose running up under the gunnel as high as possible by running it over the fuel fill tubes. When the sac is full, the water will run out of the vent hose/thru hull fitting so I disconnect the vent line at the sac (ProX Quick Connects) and drain the water out of the line creating an air lock. When the vent line is reconnected it doesn't leak anymore. To keep the water from draining out the fill pump, I just close the ball valve at the fill pump when the sac is full.

You really don't need a vent line - if you overfill, it will push past the drain pump, and go out your drain hose.

Hard to push air out the bottom of the bag when it's full of water...

Some good suggestions here with breaking the siphon in the fill and vent lines. I'll have to try this trick out next time and see how it works. Thanks for all the input!