Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Oroville vs. New Melones water levels.

ahightower

We have our annual family vacation scheduled at Oroville on July 27. I heard that small boats would not be able to launch after July 15. I called the people at the Oroville Spillway and they said most of the ramps are still open. As of today, the water level is 728ft. Once the level drops to 700ft, only one ramp will be open and they recommend you have a 4x4 vehicle (I don't). The woman I spoke with at the Spillway said there is no way of knowing when the lake will hit 700ft. She is hoping they can make it to the end of July. I'm not sure I want to take a chance at Oroville if I can't launch my boat. My plan "B" is New Melones. I've only been once and that was many years ago. Per the Department of Water Resources website, the reservoir elevation at New Melones is 977ft. Is that good or bad?

Has anyone camped at the Fiddleneck Group Campsites (Tuttletown Recreation Area)? What amenities does the campsite have? Sink with running water? Flush toilets and showers? Close access to launch ramp?

What about Don Pedro? We have a group of 25-30 people going. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I LOVE Don Pedro.... I like to camp at the Fleming Medows camp ground... Can't go wrong... Call them and see what they have open...

Edited by KSilva
We have our annual family vacation scheduled at Oroville on July 27. I heard that small boats would not be able to launch after July 15. I called the people at the Oroville Spillway and they said most of the ramps are still open. As of today, the water level is 728ft. Once the level drops to 700ft, only one ramp will be open and they recommend you have a 4x4 vehicle (I don't). The woman I spoke with at the Spillway said there is no way of knowing when the lake will hit 700ft. She is hoping they can make it to the end of July. I'm not sure I want to take a chance at Oroville if I can't launch my boat. My plan "B" is New Melones. I've only been once and that was many years ago. Per the Department of Water Resources website, the reservoir elevation at New Melones is 977ft. Is that good or bad?

Has anyone camped at the Fiddleneck Group Campsites (Tuttletown Recreation Area)? What amenities does the campsite have? Sink with running water? Flush toilets and showers? Close access to launch ramp?

What about Don Pedro? We have a group of 25-30 people going. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I Was at Melones this past weekend, and there is plenty of water left, Although I wouldnt try ot go near a cove for the fact that there could be an old tree or rock that you cant see, we stayed in the middle of the lake and between bridge one and two we had a great time, water was 78 Dg's. now if you plan to group camp. the group sites have running water and showers and REAL toilets are walking distance but limited shade but a far drive to the launch ramp, lots of parking and room for RV's.

Hope this information helps.

G

Thanks!

Hey you made your way back to the Crew. :) IIRC Pedro has the best water level of all the lakes mentioned above.

Thanks!

Hey you made your way back to the Crew. :) IIRC Pedro has the best water level of all the lakes mentioned above.

would you please stop telling everybody that. Cry.gif

Thanks!

Not only is Pedro water level great, the ramps are the best in the state along w/ the scenery. There is a killer 247 that offers free pulls to Crew members as well...... Tongue.gif

Pedro has the best water level of all the lakes mentioned above.

The lake is full, glass all day every day, and free beer too. Everyone go to Don Pedro. Thumbup.gif

The lake is full, glass all day every day, and free beer too. Everyone go to Don Pedro. Thumbup.gif

It is great except for that nasty rash I get everytime I go in the water.

Than stop peeing in your shorts....

Shorts?.....Pedro is a Speedo only lake.......

I knew there was a reason I didn't like that lake

I knew there was a reason I didn't like that lake

It could be worse.....Malibudude's private pond is a blue thong only lake.....or so I hear

That's only when a crowd is around, otherwise it's very nice. He's known to be an exhibitionist after all.

Glad I wasn't able to view such a horrific event, let's just pretend it didn't happen... Biggrin.gif

That's only when a crowd is around, otherwise it's very nice. He's known to be an exhibitionist after all.

Glad I wasn't able to view such a horrific event, let's just pretend it didn't happen... Biggrin.gif

I can't....my son has had nightmares nearly every night since that ill-fated trip.

I can't....my son has had nightmares nearly every night since that ill-fated trip.

I'm so sorry, just know that I had nothing to do with what transpired. Vomit.gif

...Malibudude's private pond is a blue thong only lake...

That would be the Wrong Thong®. Yuk.gif

Rest assured Ken, your son ain't the only one still having nightmares. :lol: Thanks Joe. Fingerwag.gif