Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Fault-Service Required

Dear All The problem we face on our New 2008 VLX Monsoon is an engine fault which offcource brings the revs down. When restarting the engine the revs can go to full but every five minutes we have the Service required message on the dash. When diagnosted the codes we had the following message (CAT_B_TEMPSENSOR SPN 65672 CM 0 VOLTAGE SHORT OR ABOVE NORMAL RNG FMI 3 OC 49)

In one previous topic we have noticed something simmilar to our problem and the reason was the exaust elbow or some sensors.

What can you tell us about this? Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Malibu Cyprus
Dear All The problem we face on our New 2008 VLX Monsoon is an engine fault which offcource brings the revs down. When restarting the engine the revs can go to full but every five minutes we have the Service required message on the dash. When diagnosted the codes we had the following message (CAT_B_TEMPSENSOR SPN 65672 CM 0 VOLTAGE SHORT OR ABOVE NORMAL RNG FMI 3 OC 49)

In one previous topic we have noticed something simmilar to our problem and the reason was the exaust elbow or some sensors.

What can you tell us about this? Thanks for your help in advance.

You need a new Temp Sensor in the port side exhaust (B is port on a V-Drive).

It is easy to change and is on top of the exhaust manifold after the catalyst. It looks like a bent straw coming out of the exhaust. Mine went bad this weekend and I pulled it out and part of the ceramic around the thermocouple was broken. It is interesting that you have 49 occurences. I know it registers a fault every time you started the engine. I don't know if it continues to register bad every 5 minutes while operating after that.

I'm not positive but I don't think this fault alone brings the revs down. Usually that is only if the engine isn't warmed up enough or low oil pressure, engine over temp (not catalyst over temp), or other major problem.

We just had the recall performed on the Shift by Wire before the weekend. The first time we gave it throttle after the recall was performed we got an "Engine Fault" and the rpm's were reduced and then "Service Required". I wish this had occurred while the Malibu factory tech was swapping out the shifter. Cry.gif

We just had the recall performed on the Shift by Wire before the weekend. The first time we gave it throttle after the recall was performed we got an "Engine Fault" and the rpm's were reduced and then "Service Required". I wish this had occurred while the Malibu factory tech was swapping out the shifter. Cry.gif

That's interesting. The same thing happened to us after we had our shift lever replace. I don't think that's a coincidence. I'm calling our dealer to see if anyone else has had that happen.

That's interesting. The same thing happened to us after we had our shift lever replace. I don't think that's a coincidence. I'm calling our dealer to see if anyone else has had that happen.

Exact same failure for me. My Catalyst Temp Sensor also failed the first time out (first acceleration) after the shift lever was replaced as well. Since we now have 3 doccumented cases, I am sure it is not coincidence. Please let us know what you find out from your dealer. I don't recall seeing "Engine Fault" but everything else happened as you indicated. After researching, it didn't seem that this particular temp sensor would cut rpm's so I was worried that there might be another problem when the engine dropped rpm. However, no other faults were apparently logged.

Edited by Matt_Alger

Exact same failure for me. My Catalyst Temp Sensor also failed the first time out (first acceleration) after the shift lever was replaced as well. Since we now have 3 doccumented cases, I am sure it is not coincidence. Please let us know what you find out from your dealer. I don't recall seeing "Engine Fault" but everything else happened as you indicated. After researching, it didn't seem that this particular temp sensor would cut rpm's so I was worried that there might be another problem when the engine dropped rpm. However, no other faults were apparently logged.

I called Malibu and talked to Bethany (sp?). She talked to a tech and said to turn the key on to the Run position, but do not start it. Let all the guages sweep, etc. and then turn the key back to Off. Repeat this three times to clear the code.

My boat is an hour away. For those of you who have access to your boats and are having this issue please try it and report back to let us know if it works.

She said I was the first one to speak to her about the "Engine Fault" and "Service Required" messages after the fix, but she heard other people on the phone describing the reset procedure. Sounds like we are not the only ones with problems after the recall.

-Whoa

I called Malibu and talked to Bethany (sp?). She talked to a tech and said to turn the key on to the Run position, but do not start it. Let all the guages sweep, etc. and then turn the key back to Off. Repeat this three times to clear the code.

My boat is an hour away. For those of you who have access to your boats and are having this issue please try it and report back to let us know if it works.

She said I was the first one to speak to her about the "Engine Fault" and "Service Required" messages after the fix, but she heard other people on the phone describing the reset procedure. Sounds like we are not the only ones with problems after the recall.

-Whoa

I'll try it tonight and let you know. My dealer said they've had a few CAT sensors go bad. He told me that three warm up cycles may reset the fault code. We've been surfing a lot and I thought it may need to be run harder to clean it's pipes.

I'll report on your solution tonight.

-Whoa

I'll try it tonight and let you know. My dealer said they've had a few CAT sensors go bad. He told me that three warm up cycles may reset the fault code. We've been surfing a lot and I thought it may need to be run harder to clean it's pipes.

If I remember the Indmar Manual correctly, because this is an emissions problem, you need 3 complete warm up and cool down cycles (Ambient Temp to 160F if I remember correctly) without incident to re-set this particular fault code due to EPA regulations. Also, my sensor went bad so re-setting the fault code won't help. It keeps happening. The ceramic around the thermocouple wire cracked and fell off, thus giving faulty readings.

-Whoa

If I remember the Indmar Manual correctly, because this is an emissions problem, you need 3 complete warm up and cool down cycles (Ambient Temp to 160F if I remember correctly) without incident to re-set this particular fault code due to EPA regulations. Also, my sensor went bad so re-setting the fault code won't help. It keeps happening. The ceramic around the thermocouple wire cracked and fell off, thus giving faulty readings.

Wow! Was that on your new VTX? It seems like you just received that boat. I remember because we got ours earlier in the year.

-Whoa

I tried to reset the code by turning the key on and off 3 times with no luck. I also tried to warm the engine up to normal operating temp three times with no luck clearing the "Service Required" message. As I'm sure you've seen there is a new topic post just recently regarding certain manifolds that may be faulty.

Well same thing happened to me. An hour after my dealer came all the way to the boat, Thanks MLI for great service, I was taking off from the dock and got CAT A temp warning. Just contacted the dealer.

I took my boat in for the 20 hour service and to have them fix my JBL stereo which would not power up. I got the boat back and right after start-up on Saturday morning, I get the Serv Eng message which i had to acknowledge all day long every five minutes.

Took it back to the dealer and talked to the service tech. He had to replace the catalyst temp sensor (about 12" long metal tube with a bend in it). He thought it had something to do with not running enough water through during their service run (plenty of water with a hose to keep the engine cool but not the sensor).... Sounded like Dealership error.... anyway, it works now.

I had no performance issues when i had the fault... just the message on my control panel.

I took my boat in for the 20 hour service and to have them fix my JBL stereo which would not power up. I got the boat back and right after start-up on Saturday morning, I get the Serv Eng message which i had to acknowledge all day long every five minutes.

Took it back to the dealer and talked to the service tech. He had to replace the catalyst temp sensor (about 12" long metal tube with a bend in it). He thought it had something to do with not running enough water through during their service run (plenty of water with a hose to keep the engine cool but not the sensor).... Sounded like Dealership error.... anyway, it works now.

I had no performance issues when i had the fault... just the message on my control panel.

If yours also failed immediately after the new throttle was installed, I don't think it was ther service person's fault. It would be too much of another coincidence to happen right after the throttle "fix". Now we have 4 or 5 documented cases of the throttle "fix" causing a failure in the Catalyst Temp Sensors.

If yours also failed immediately after the new throttle was installed, I don't think it was ther service person's fault. It would be too much of another coincidence to happen right after the throttle "fix". Now we have 4 or 5 documented cases of the throttle "fix" causing a failure in the Catalyst Temp Sensors.

I have a new Cat Temp Sensor coming. It'll be interesting to see if that cures the fault message. It probably won't be here for a few more days. I'll report ASAP

I had my throttle shifter swapped out a week ago (3Jul), and ran the boat all week. I just got the SERVICE REQUIRED message error today -- I did see an ENG FAULT a couple times during the week. My boat wouldn't hold the speed a couple times, but mostly ran okay. I get the same CAT A Temp Sensor error message. Too much to be a coincidence as I had 118 hours on my boat before the throttle change and never had this issue.

2008 VLX with the 340 Monsoon.

Looks like Malibu has some more research to do on the fix!

Well, I finally made it back to the lake and was able to confirm the fault code. It was the CAT TEMP sensor. The dealer came out and replaced both sensors. It ran great afterwards. They again said it had nothing to do with the recall repair, but it is just too coincidental that there are this many CAT sensors that go bad immediately after the repair.

-Whoa

Weeeeee'll see. I think there may be a few more sensor problems in the future. The problem was occurring prior to throttle recall, and now more boats have more hours. . .

Might be nice to have a thread or poll with type of fault and HOURS ON MOTOR. My ski partner w/HH got the fault PRIOR to the throttle replacement. Neither of us has had the fault following the replacement of the throttle over a week ago. His boat is an early production 08 w/roughly 80 hours.

I spoke with my dealer today too, and he also said this has nothing to do with the throttle replacement. But he did say a lot of those sensors are going bad.

I had 118 hours on my boat prior to the throttle replacement, and about 5 more after replacement before getting the CAT_TEMP_SENSOR error. It seems too frequent (failure after throttle replacement) to be coincidental, but I can't figure out how there could be any relationship. But, it does appear that these sensors are failing frequently.

I had 70 hours when the Service Required fault came on. I replaced the sensor last night with no change. My service department said it take three full temp cycles (engine cold to hot) to reset.

I'll let you know.

I installed a new B temp sensor on the port side of our V-drive (The A side is the same side as the 1-3-5-7 cylinders and the B sensor goes on the 2-4-6-8 side) and the fault code is still there. Apparently, they have to be run from cold to hot three times for the code to clear. The service bulletin that addresses the CAT TEMP sensors states that the system tests the senors when the engine is run over 3600 rmps for at least 90 seconds and then idle for 2 minutes. The next time the engine is run in the same manner, it checks the sensor on the other side.

I'll let you know if the codes disappear.