Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another issue with the throttle fix?

Seems I found some additional issues with the throttle fix today. Between about 13-25 mph the boat will not hold its speed. At about 17 mph the boat will creep up to about 25 mph over about two minutes without touching the throttle. Once you get below 17 mph the speed will slowly creep down to about 13 mph. So I set the cruise to see if there were any issues with that. Prior to the fix it would fluctuate no more than .2 mph above or below the set speed. Today I set the speed at 17 mph and the speed ranged from 16.1 to 17.7 a range of 1.6 mph. Obviously this didn't happen before the new throttle assembly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Seems I found some additional issues with the throttle fix today. Between about 13-25 mph the boat will not hold its speed. At about 17 mph the boat will creep up to about 25 mph over about two minutes without touching the throttle. Once you get below 17 mph the speed will slowly creep down to about 13 mph. So I set the cruise to see if there were any issues with that. Prior to the fix it would fluctuate no more than .2 mph above or below the set speed. Today I set the speed at 17 mph and the speed ranged from 16.1 to 17.7 a range of 1.6 mph. Obviously this didn't happen before the new throttle assembly.

Do you really hand drive enough for this to be an issue? Most throttle by cable setups creep way more than that over 2 minutes.

Most throttle by cable setups creep way more than that over 2 minutes.

:unsure: Whatchu talkin bout Willis? :unsure:

My Sporty has a very consistent throttle, almost no throttle creep at all. Thumbup.gif

My Sporty has a very consistent throttle, almost no throttle creep at all. Thumbup.gif

same with my response...

same with my response...

Same with our '01 VLX.

Well I am happy for all of you, but I had very little if any before and cruise wroked better.

Yeah, that definitely shouldn't happen. The position sensor in the throttle assembly should directly map to a set throttle body opening and injector flow rate. It's conceivable however that the boat was coming off plane at those speeds if you weren't adjusting the throttle by hand and were running loaded. With cruise though, you shouldn't see that type of fluctuation.

I also noticed that my cruise is not holding as well in turns with the new throttle. It slows down a lot more then overshoots. I didn't hardly ever have to do anything in the turns before but now have to adjust the throttle manually. The engage beeber is constantly going on and off even on straight runs but the speed is holding ok when straight.

Prior to the throttle change my speed varried by +1 mph / - 2 mph when set at wakeboarding speeds 18 - 22 mph. Hard cuts by the boarder would drop it 2 mph and it would overshoot on the return by 1 mph (more variance in turns). I haven't checked with the new throttle but in my opinion it is was so bad that the cruise is about worthless. I figured that I would have no choice but to add Perfect Pass this winter to get a tighter range. However, if the new throttle changes the Malibu Cruise's ability to hold speed then this may be a bigger issue. With any luck my new throttle will hold tighter speed than the old one. If not, at least I know +/- 0.2 mph is seen by other owners so I should expect that for mine as well.

I didn't want to add another "Throttle Fix" - Issues string so I am adding this here. Has anyone else had a Catalyst Temp Sensor fail since the Throttle Fix? We have 3 documented cases the first time out after the "fix" under the following topic:

Engine Fault-Service Required

Monsoon 340 (2008) Problem

So far we have 4 issues with the new throttle:

- No ability to rev the engine while not in gear - Definite Issue

- The speed drifts with the new throttle - At least 2 docummented cases

- Less ability for Malibu Cruise to hold precise speed - At least 2 docummente cases

- Likely connection with failed Catalyst Temp Sensors after Throttle Replacement - At least 3 documented cases

QUOTE (2wayskier @ Jul 7 2008, 10:44 AM)

QUOTE (WhoaNellie @ Jul 7 2008, 07:20 AM)

We just had the recall performed on the Shift by Wire before the weekend. The first time we gave it throttle after the recall was performed we got an "Engine Fault" and the rpm's were reduced and then "Service Required". I wish this had occurred while the Malibu factory tech was swapping out the shifter.

That's interesting. The same thing happened to us after we had our shift lever replace. I don't think that's a coincidence. I'm calling our dealer to see if anyone else has had that happen.

Exact same failure for me. My Catalyst Temp Sensor also failed the first time out (first acceleration) after the shift lever was replaced as well. Since we now have 3 doccumented cases, I am sure it is not coincidence. Please let us know what you find out from your dealer. I don't recall seeing "Engine Fault" but everything else happened as you indicated. After researching, it didn't seem that this particular temp sensor would cut rpm's so I was worried that there might be another problem when the engine dropped rpm. However, no other faults were apparently logged.