Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Having some fun with an X2

DC-STRO

Since you guys have identical boats (power wedge & all), you could probably throw the ideal spine that would be identical on each side.

Thats what we thought but turns out that a DD and a V-Drive together make the best. We've tried several combos.

Interesting, care to comment on what type of direct drive that you used with your boat (assuming that it was yours)?

The wake on the Malibu far exceeds the X2. They only have three in the malibu too.

Without knowing the ballast setups it is hard to make a comparison.

We had similar ballast setups. I am not positive he was running everything. I can tell you for sure that The guy who regularly surfs behind the X2 prefers the wake behind our boat. The X2 seems to have a deep pocket and ours has more of a large wall. I have to thank Ronnie for helping us set up our boat. We were good to go our first time out.

We are going to try it again when he gets back. We only tried it a few times one night. We didn't have a lot of time to try out different setups and speed. I would really like to try it with another Bu like mine.

Edited by DC-STRO
What a waste of glass, I just don't get the surfin thing.

What part of boating isn't a "waste of gas"? I doubt many here have to go boating to get to their job every day. It's all about the fun no matter what you're doing in or behind your boat. You know that... Thumbup.gif

Not gas...glass

Look at the water around the two boats, I see flat water everywhere.

Awww crap. Mah bad! Too many posts about the gas prices in my head! Yah gotta admit though... slinging around 60 mph in tube being whipped around by a boat is kinda fun on glass :)

No worries...just ain't lucky enough to get glass like that around here.

Since you guys have identical boats (power wedge & all), you could probably throw the ideal spine that would be identical on each side.
Just so you know, it won't throw identical wakes with identical boats because one is on port and the other is on starboard. With prop rotation being the same, one side will throw a better wake than the other. Our best combo was a MC Maristar 230VRS throwing the Port wake and a Malibu Vride throwing the Starboard. The side the rider likes to surf should be the lead boat on cruise control the chase boat should be manual so he can make adjustments. The lead boat should go as straight as possible and the chaser makes all the adjustments to shape the spline. The driver in the chase should be roughly in line with the lead boats stern then move in closer until spline shapes up. Most of the drive power is just in front of the big ball of white water. It will launch you forward and then you can shoot to either wake then drift back to spline and shoot to other side. A real shortboard will let you cross from wake to wake without drifting back to the spline, but most wakesurfers do not have enouhg float to cross very easily from side to side. Lastly, most people try to get the two boats to close, if you watch the ball of white water in the middle when it gets the biggest that is the optimum distance for the two boats. The boats have to go faster than when you single surf, but don't worry the drive from that huge ball of water in the middle will shoot you forward in a hurry.
Just so you know, it won't throw identical wakes with identical boats because one is on port and the other is on starboard. With prop rotation being the same, one side will throw a better wake than the other. Our best combo was a MC Maristar 230VRS throwing the Port wake and a Malibu Vride throwing the Starboard. The side the rider likes to surf should be the lead boat on cruise control the chase boat should be manual so he can make adjustments. The lead boat should go as straight as possible and the chaser makes all the adjustments to shape the spline. The driver in the chase should be roughly in line with the lead boats stern then move in closer until spline shapes up. Most of the drive power is just in front of the big ball of white water. It will launch you forward and then you can shoot to either wake then drift back to spline and shoot to other side. A real shortboard will let you cross from wake to wake without drifting back to the spline, but most wakesurfers do not have enouhg float to cross very easily from side to side. Lastly, most people try to get the two boats to close, if you watch the ball of white water in the middle when it gets the biggest that is the optimum distance for the two boats. The boats have to go faster than when you single surf, but don't worry the drive from that huge ball of water in the middle will shoot you forward in a hurry.

You did a much better job describing this than I did above. Rockon.gif

Go here for pixs and videoSplineWakesurfing

Thats what we thought but turns out that a DD and a V-Drive together make the best. We've tried several combos.

Interesting, care to comment on what type of direct drive that you used with your boat (assuming that it was yours)?

No the ice barge took the day off, it was an Echelon w/ the wedge two hot babes and one certain Abba fan....lol

Now that was chill. Surfin is fun and nice way to add breaks in among wakeboarding. We do it all the time, but never tried two boats. Great job!

DD is a Sunsetter (Mr. Chrissy)

along with either my WS23LSV

or butler's 247.

Gotta get really close - like 10-15 feet apart for opitimum.

The VD boat drives straight and the DD does the up close manuevering.