Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sudden stop at sand Bar!

Hey all,

I was out with the family at Lake Wisconsin today pulling a wake boarder when we hit a sand bar Mad.gif . It stopped the boat dead in our tracks. We picked up the boarder and pushed it off the sand and were going to give it another go. When we pulled up the boarder, we had a vibration. We stopped right away and upon inspection of things, they looked fine under water. We pulled the boat on to the trailer on the ramp and the prop still looks like it is new, no visual damage to a CNC 4 blade. I could freely spin the prop and shaft and it didn't seem to bind.

Where do I start?

I guess it could be the shaft, strut and or prop, any tricks as to how to isolate the problem, to know how to proceed.

I have an ok three blade in the garage, that I might throw on it and take it for a test run if no one has any better ideas.

Thanks for the help!

Brad

I'd suspect the prop is a little out of wack. Doesn't take a lot. Put the 3 blade on & see how it goes. If the 3 blade isn't in the best of shape, try borrowing someone elses for the test.

If you hit a sandbar that stopped your boat from 18-20 mph, and all you bent was the prop, you'd better go buy a lottery ticket ASAP. I'm betting on the propshaft, too.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help, all is well that ends well!

I put on the old three blade today and did some closer inspecting of my CNC 4 blade, it had stress cracks on the one fin. I put on the old three blade and took the kids out for a little tubing on a windy night.

It worked great, no bent shaft or strut. I will have to get my 4 blade rebuilt this week.

God Bless!

Brad

Edited by twinbrad
I put on the old three blade today and did some closer inspecting of my CNC 4 blade, it had stress cracks on the one fin.

I will have to get my 4 blade rebuilt this week.

?

Not sure how you can rebuild a cracked blade.

I put on the old three blade today and did some closer inspecting of my CNC 4 blade, it had stress cracks on the one fin.

I will have to get my 4 blade rebuilt this week.

?

Not sure how you can rebuild a cracked blade.

Weld, fill and grind :)