Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Unable to go more than 30 mph

Ok, so yesterday we took our just-purchased 2003 23 LSV for its first ride. You all would have been rolling in laughter watching us get her back on the trailer. Worst combo - steep and uneven, so I was in and out about 8 times trying to get her properly aligned on the trailer. While I consider myself a somewhat experienced boater, these babies are a lot heavier than a 17ft runabout. I took console in the fact that it appears lots of others have struggled with this; at least according to other posts on the 'Crew. Next time we'll apply some liquid roller to the bunks, not put the trailer in so deep, and power the boat on. I feel like going to the lake now and just practicing!

But, the reason for the post is this. Boat started right up and we trolled at low speed out to the main lake. Engine warmed up quickly to 160F and stayed there all day. We got this boat from FL, so it has closed cooling, but I'm glad to be running it clean WI lake water now. First time we got the tubes out, engine responded well and I only took her up to 15-22mph. But then, mid run, the boat throttled itself back. Temp is fine, oil pressure fine, what gives? I called the previous owner from my cell and he said he had just put on a new throttle cable, and to take up the play in the cable. Oh, and PP was off. Best I can describe this box in the engine compartment is it has a black, turnable knob - looked like a reostat or something, and turning it clockwise would wind a little play out of the throttle. That seemed to make the throttle respond sooner from neutral, but as I applied power, it felt like the engine ran rougher / rich, and the power was not there. With no tubers, I could barely plane out! I was able to rev the engine from the back of the boat while in neutral, and it sounds beautiful, just like a car. But under load, no way can I even get the rpms up! After a couple tries adjusting the throttle cable, boom, I'm able to tow again and get her to plane, but then after their ride, I can't get above 15mph again! As we ended the day, I had another spurt of good running and with no tubers, got her up to about 34mph, but this thing should easily go 40pmph+, right? Checked prop, fine. Ensured ballast empty - fine. Wedge - up. My only other guess is fuel filter? It was like it just couldn't get enough gas. Filled her up with 93 octane on the way out. Any thoughts? This morning I took her to the Malibu dealer, also a marina, and they are going to run it through its paces. Hook up the computer and run a compression test, etc., but I'm a little bummed my new baby which was purchased in "like new" condition, is already at the shop! Welcome to boat ownership I guess. Otherwise, the boat is in fantastic shape. Gel coat shines, vinyl is perfect, etc.

Appreciate any advice on things I can check.

Dan

the boats' brains limit rpm until the temp. sending unit says things are warmed up.

you said it was showing 160 but i believe there are two temp. sending units.

if the sending unit that is hooked to the electronics doesn't indicate it's up to temperature it will limit revs.

Thanks tvano. Hopefully the dealer will be able to pinpoint if that sending unit is messed up and replace it.

the boats' brains limit rpm until the temp. sending unit says things are warmed up.

you said it was showing 160 but i believe there are two temp. sending units.

if the sending unit that is hooked to the electronics doesn't indicate it's up to temperature it will limit revs.

But if the sensor was incorrectly telling your computer the engine is still cold, you would of had trouble starting the engine when warm.

Problem solved! Turned out to be corroded contacts in the distributor cap (that nasty Florida air!) and semi-clogged fuel filter. Had her out on the 9th and she ran perfect!