Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Circulation pump leak?

I am getting a leak from somewhere on the front of the motor, seems like its the circ pump (350 indmar 310hp carb), but I can't be sure. it did it once or twice before and goes away quickly, so its hard to see where it coming from exactly... also it only seems to happen at cold start up like this morning.

when I open the box after a ride there is no evidence of a leak so its not happening while running and its not overheating at all either....

its not the hoses, but seems like it might be coming from the back of the circ (water) pump? or the tstat area. I'm almost certain its not the RWP...

any ideas of how I can diagnose this problem? TIA

I lost a circulation pump on my Sporty a year or so ago. It won't take long for the leak to leave a faint trail from the leak point down. Get in there with a flashlight and have a good look around. Sediment and calcium from the water will leave a trail on the block. If it is the circ pump...the replacement is available from Ski DIM for about $100 and is an easy job.

Can't fix the problem until you identify it though.

Look at the bottom of the water pump and you will see a hole about 1/4 '' diameter.If the seal in the pump is leaking you will see water dripping from the hole.

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly certain this is the circ pump, but I can't see a drain hole (or can't get at it). could it be the seal on the back of the pump?

is this common and what other symptoms of a bad pump show up?

the boat doesn't seem to overheat at all, but it does spit more water at higher speeds and when it hasn't been used as much.

I'm fairly certain this is the circ pump, but I can't see a drain hole (or can't get at it). could it be the seal on the back of the pump?

Yes.gif Not worth the effort to try to fix it. Just replace it (the whole pump).

I'm going to go ahead and buy Jbuck's circ pump.

I have my clymers manual and it seems pretty straight forward.. drain motor, loosen alternator, remove belt, pulley and then the pump.

I know I should clean the old gasket material off, what should I use and what kind of sealant and gaskets should I use for the new install?

any special tools I'll require?

TIA

Use a razor blade followed up with some mild sandpaper or solvent to get rid of the old gasket.

The new pump (should) come with gaskets, a little "good stuff" or whatever its called doesn't hurt.

No special tools, although an impact wrench makes the pulley easier.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...
I lost a circulation pump on my Sporty a year or so ago. It won't take long for the leak to leave a faint trail from the leak point down. Get in there with a flashlight and have a good look around. Sediment and calcium from the water will leave a trail on the block. If it is the circ pump...the replacement is available from Ski DIM for about $100 and is an easy job.

Can't fix the problem until you identify it though.

I've looked long and hard for a trail, but in a conversation yesterday we came to the conclusion that my lake is virtually non existent of calcium or sediment... you can drink this water its so clean, so its not leaving much of a trail, but I'm still pretty confident its the water pump leaking and not the RWP..

Thumbup.gif