Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A great way to wreck a weekend...

My wife and I went to the Taste of MN on the boat on the third with another couple and three others in another boat. we were heading back downstream to the landing, traveling about 15mph. Not sure exactly on the speed, as I was standing to get away from the dash lights so I could see better with the spotlight, but the boat was not quite planed yet, so 15 is pretty close. We were following the other boat, about 75 feet back. When I say following, I mean right down the middle of their wake. All of a sudden, two big bangs. I cut the throttle immediately when I heard the first hit, and was getting to neutral about the time of the second hit, but I felt the vibration before the prop coasted down. The guys in front of me were in a deep-v with a longer-shaft outboard. (a walleye boat, if that means anything to you) They didn't hit anything.

I figured we were into this for a wrecked prop, but I've got a spare in the shop, no problem- we'll be on the lake for the 4th.

Wrong.

Upon trailered inspection, the front fin is GONE, the prop has one blade that is pushed back about 0.20", the gelcoat is cracked on the left side of the strut, which now has about .020" of movement in it (by hand), and the shaft is 0.050" out at the taper.

How much cake are we going to have to lay down on this one? Straight to insurance?

...off to pull the kids on tubes behind the sea-doo... Cry.gifCry.gif

Straight to insurance.

I did almost the same exact thing once, minus the tracking fin. It was a little over 3K for the prop shaft, strut and prop.

Hope your weekend wasn't totally ruined though.

Maybe they did and it just went tha-thunk under the side of the hull, then got moved by wake and went ba-bump, ka-chunk, ka-bam under EZ's boat.

Sorry to hear this, EZ. Hope your days get better.

The only theory I can come up with is that it was submerged far enough that they passed over it and the turbulence from their boat brought it closer to the surface. That, or if it was in the river the long way, they narrowly passed alongside it, and the wake somehow sucked it in front of us? I don't know how it happened. I do know that it stinks. I'll be sure to get some pics before it goes to the dealer.

The part that really stinks is that my brother just got married and is living at the cabin, boarding and skiing almost every day, and I took away his fun time until this gets fixed... :(

Straight to insurance.

Yes.gif

Sorry to hear that. Odd that the other boat didn't even clip it. Dontknow.gif

i seem to hit a lot of stuff with my fishing hull, and have had very little damage. seems that the outboard just handles it a lot better. i also don't really worry about all the little scratches and knicks on that hull anyway. i have also hit a 4 X 4 at barefoot speed with my bu, and was lucky enough to come away with a dime size knick in the hull, and an uninjured footer...

Bummer.

Sorry to hear.

It's a constant worry where we run the boat. I'm going to jinx myself, but I haven't had to change the prop in 2 years, which is quite unusual.

that suchs

i went through 3 props last year on Tapps hitting logs

Been luck I guess that all the impacts have just bend the props and nothing else

Cry.gif

And the first boat probably past right by it and the log got sucked into the wake and into you

I happen to be President of the Log Haters Club. Welcome, new member!

Here's the scoop: I have hit logs 3 times this year, and currently have my strut, rudder and prop at a machine shop for straightening; cost = $230 total. I'm in Houston and we have a great shop here that does it all: They also straighten shafts -

http://www.baumannprops.com/

Others told me to buy new parts, but that's crazy if you have a similarly good shop around. If not, call Baumans and ship your stuff there.

That's assuming you're a DIY guy. If you have hull damage, insurance claim this time around probably wise. Save the hardware-only job for a future log fight. Good luck!

The 'bu went to MN Inboard this morning, after a quick look by the service manager, he noticed right away that the strut was bent- I looked, and it was obviously bent. For all the dial indicators on the prop shaft and height gauges on the prop, we never really just looked at the strut. I guess sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees...

After a quick survey he guessed that it would probably be about a $4,000 fix. Gelcoat around the fin, gelcoat around the strut, and replace the fin, strut, shaft and prop. I think I'll have him get a 515, then I can get my 525 re-worked and have both.

On the plus side, he estimated that we should be able to get the boat next week- probably on friday... not bad. I was expecting at least a few weeks of boatlessness.

Wow. I thank my lucky stars that we boat on a river which the biggest thing you have to look out for is a large sagebrush! Some times the Yakima can bring some crap down, of which I did hit last week, but it's nothing like the logs you guys talk about hitting.

That thud of a large log is unmistakeable. It brings a funny feeling to your stomach in that instant you wait for the vibrations to start...

Hope your insurance is paying this time around. Be sure to save all your bent parts for future restraightening and use. Believe me, this is not your last log fight! Surprised your rudder didn't take a hit as well. By the way, my bent strut, prop and rudder were reconditioned by Baumans Props in Houston in one day! Seriously, call those guys if you ever want to do it yourself....they are fast, cheap, and good.

Those of you who boat in nice, deep, debris-free waters, you are blessed. Here in the gulfcoast, "deep" means anything over about 8 feet.

That thud of a large log is unmistakeable. It brings a funny feeling to your stomach in that instant you wait for the vibrations to start...

And I didn't have to wait long. Like I said in the first post, I felt the vibe as the prop coasted down when I shifted to neutral. Ugly.

I had that feeling in the pit of my stomach, until I reminded myself that there was a spare prop waiting for me at home. I didn't really get that dizzy, stomach-in-knots feeling until I dove under the trailer... Cry.gif at which point I came up with a band-aid solution for the fin, ( a piece of aluminum plate in place of the fin) But when it was realized that the shaft was taco'd... at 9:00am on the 4th of July, with company coming and the whole weekend ahead... ugh. Cry.gifCry.gifVomit.gifVomit.gif