Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids and helmets

Greg_S

Just curious about the ages you make your kids wear helmets and the age where you let them make their own decision about it.

I have a 12 year old boy who thinks he doesn't need to anymore but I know he needs to. Anybody else run into this problem?

I know the rule is - my boat, my rules - just wanted others thoughts.

Thanks.

I was having the same battle with my son (same age) until his buddy was out boarding, and took what appeared to be a minor spill, (no helmet) and ruptured his ear drum. He will be out the rest of the summer, and everytime he stands he Vomit.gif .When they took him to the hospital, the Doc explained it is a injury that happens all the time. As people wipe out thet have a natural reaction to turn their head to the side prior to impact(to protect the face). This forces water into the ear and can quite easily rupture the drum. He explained a helmet with the ear pieces would almost always prevent injury. He also explained if you are not exceeding speeds of 12-14 mph, then the risk is minimal.... So IMO, helmet's with the ear piece....probably not a bad idea

Just curious about the ages you make your kids wear helmets and the age where you let them make their own decision about it.

I have a 12 year old boy who thinks he doesn't need to anymore but I know he needs to. Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks.

Greg:

Thanks for asking that question. My 14 yr.old daughter (who's sitting next to me) has been complaining like crazy because we make her wear her helmet. The fashion princess says it doesn't look "cool", but since she is now going wake to wake, we made it a must.

JDW:

Thanks for your reply. Made a good point we have been trying to get through to her. I quote the fashion princess, "EWWWW!"

Greg, call us when you get here.

-Dan

Thanks.

n'

Im 40 and I wear a helmet. I know that doesn't make it cool but I can still hear. To many crashes. Don't bend your rules cause you will regret it if your kids or friends get hurt. Maybe let them pick out there own helmet and put some cool graphics on it.

Both the adults and the kids wear helmets when we wakeboard. A friend of mine wears one all of the time. I couldn't imagine losing a whole season to a blown eardrum. Some of the worst wipeouts I've had are from wakeboarding, I fully support wearing a helmet when boarding.