Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon Restarting Problems

Here is the problem we are having with our Malibu Response Lxi with the Monsoon 340 engine. The motor always starts beautifully and if we just stop it for a few minutes (between skiers) then it starts up again no problem, but if we stop the motor for more than 15 minutes, it won't restart (actually it will sometimes start and then run rough and then stop or sometimes won't start at all) then you have to wait another 1/2 hour to 2 hours for it to restart. Then it will start up again no problem.

I'm getting really frustrated. I've talked to other malibu owners that had similar problems but they've all said it's a fuel filter problem but I've had the fuel filter replaced and the mesh screen cleaned.

any suggestions?

took it to a marina and (of course!) problem didn't occur when boat was there.

A few of us posted similar issues a few weeks ago (Search Engine Stall). I have a 2006 Response LXi with a Monsoon and had identical symptoms as you have described. I went the typical route by talking to the dealer and they gave me the same advice about changing the fuel filter. As you have found out, its not the fuel filter at all. I could not see how the fuel filter was a problem since the boat ran so well for long periods of time and would only give trouble once it was warmed up and turned off for a few minutes. I thought it might be a pressure sensor going bad or the kill switch giving problems, but that did not explain the low idle rough running the engine would go through upon restart. I finally called a guy I know in parts at Malibu at the Tenn. plant. He gave me the number to the plant in California and told me to talk to Tim. Within 3 minutes he nailed the problem. Vapor Lock. The fuel boils into a vapor causing the engine to run rough if at all and then wont restart because of a lack of fuel. Once the engine cools, the fuel turns back to a liquid and you can start the engine. As long as the engine is running, fuel is moving through the system and does not heat enough to turn to vapor. This happens only when its sits for several minutes. My motor box was insulated and part of the vent hole in the back had been covered. He recommended trimming it to where the engine could gain maximum ventalation. Other suggestions were to run the blower for longer periods of time and to place a life jacket or similar item under the engine housing to get a little more heat out of the engine compartment. I had noticed mine did it more frequently on really hot days, so I now open the engine cover if I know I am going to stop for more than a few minutes to let the engine cool quicker.

One tip, if you get stuck and cannot get it to start, try placing a wet cool towel or rag around the fuel pump for a few minutes. This should cool the fuel and turn it back to a liquid quicker than if you just let nature take its course.

I am curious to see if your engine cover is insulated and if this fixes your problem.

A few of us posted similar issues a few weeks ago (Search Engine Stall). I have a 2006 Response LXi with a Monsoon and had identical symptoms as you have described. I went the typical route by talking to the dealer and they gave me the same advice about changing the fuel filter. As you have found out, its not the fuel filter at all. I could not see how the fuel filter was a problem since the boat ran so well for long periods of time and would only give trouble once it was warmed up and turned off for a few minutes. I thought it might be a pressure sensor going bad or the kill switch giving problems, but that did not explain the low idle rough running the engine would go through upon restart. I finally called a guy I know in parts at Malibu at the Tenn. plant. He gave me the number to the plant in California and told me to talk to Tim. Within 3 minutes he nailed the problem. Vapor Lock. The fuel boils into a vapor causing the engine to run rough if at all and then wont restart because of a lack of fuel. Once the engine cools, the fuel turns back to a liquid and you can start the engine. As long as the engine is running, fuel is moving through the system and does not heat enough to turn to vapor. This happens only when its sits for several minutes. My motor box was insulated and part of the vent hole in the back had been covered. He recommended trimming it to where the engine could gain maximum ventalation. Other suggestions were to run the blower for longer periods of time and to place a life jacket or similar item under the engine housing to get a little more heat out of the engine compartment. I had noticed mine did it more frequently on really hot days, so I now open the engine cover if I know I am going to stop for more than a few minutes to let the engine cool quicker.

One tip, if you get stuck and cannot get it to start, try placing a wet cool towel or rag around the fuel pump for a few minutes. This should cool the fuel and turn it back to a liquid quicker than if you just let nature take its course.

I am curious to see if your engine cover is insulated and if this fixes your problem.

A trick dirt trackers some time's use if your boat has metal fuel lines put two or three wooden clothes pins on it they will disperse the heat a little better

I had same problem this year after never having trouble in previous 425 hours of operation. I added the warming tray above the engine on my 06 Monsoon this past winter. I think that added to the extra heat in the engine compartment causing the vapor lock. Mine restarted fine after cooling for an hour. I now use the blower more. You can search to find the old thread about this.

• 11 months later...

Just experienced this yesterday for the first time in 5 seasons. Was really surprising, as it wasn't that hot of a day - only 76 degF. Had been pulling the kids tubing for a little while, then floated with some friends for maybe 30 minutes. Went to start, and the engine was really laboring, then would stall. Finally got to the point where it wouldn't start.

Major props to this site and all the great info here. Thumbup.gif I was thinking maybe I had a clogged fuel filter. Got out my Blackberry and pulled up the site, did a search on "fuel filter replace", and found this thread. As I am reading, it occurred to me that the symptoms were very much the same as when I ran out of gas last year. So I took a rag and checked the schrader valve - lots of vapor, not much fuel. So I sat there with the motor box open for a little bit to allow for better cooling. Then I turned on the ignition to energize the fuel pump, and then bled off the vapor in the fuel line. Gave the engine a crank, and she fired right up. Clap.gif

Still not sure why she is doing this now. Was nowhere near the hot conditions we see at the peak of summer. Kind of wondering if I have a bad batch of gas...

Vapor lock. Thanks to ethanol in gas. I talked to Indmar tech last week and he agreed. I know several that are now having trouble including me. Started last year when our fuels all went to 10% ethanol. Best fix is opening motor cover to let hot air out when stopping and heat soak may cause vaporization of fuel. Search vapor lock for more threads.

• 1 month later...

I have the same setup. This has happened to me twice now and the fix is cooling it down. Mine will start for one second and then immediately die. I can do this several times, or just open the hood and let it cool then it starts first time. Usually happens when the air temp is really hot, we are skiing hard and then stop for 15-20 minutes with engine off.

I solved this problem on mine by insulating all of the fuel lines I could access in the engine compartment with the grey foam pipe insulation (for a 1/2" pipe) from Lowes. ~$5 and no more vapor lock. The stuff has a slit down the side so you can easily cut to length and install on the fuel lines, then remove the covering stuff over the sticky seam and you are good to go for at least 4 years.

Okay I have the exact same problem on my 98 Sportster. I read something about releasing the vapor / pressure with the schrade valve. What is that is that? I have never heard that term before.

I had also read on another forum that a bad engine ground connection could be the culprit. I have cleaned that and that did seem to help but not correct the issue entirely as I just had this happen again. After reading this thread this morning I kept the blower on the entire time we were out. He wanted to stop and swap the wakeboard for the ski. Raise the motor cover while stopped for about 10 minutes with engine off and happened again. This is getting very frustrating. Ran for about four hours last weekend and had no problems whatsoever.

I have come to really appreciate this forum and the information provided.

Will drill some holes in the motor cover (there are none right now) get some pipe insulation for the gas lines and hold my breath the next time we head out.

Okay I have the exact same problem on my 98 Sportster. I read something about releasing the vapor / pressure with the schrade valve. What is that is that? I have never heard that term before.

I had also read on another forum that a bad engine ground connection could be the culprit. I have cleaned that and that did seem to help but not correct the issue entirely as I just had this happen again. After reading this thread this morning I kept the blower on the entire time we were out. He wanted to stop and swap the wakeboard for the ski. Raise the motor cover while stopped for about 10 minutes with engine off and happened again. This is getting very frustrating. Ran for about four hours last weekend and had no problems whatsoever.

I have come to really appreciate this forum and the information provided.

Will drill some holes in the motor cover (there are none right now) get some pipe insulation for the gas lines and hold my breath the next time we head out.

The schrader valve is the test port on the fuel rail of a fuel injected engine for checking fuel pressure. An added benefit is that it can be used to clear the fuel line when you do have a vapor lock problem pop up. If you don't have fuel injection (I don't know if you do or don't) you will not have one one these valves. It works exactly the same as the valve stim on our tire. There's a protective cap you unscrew first,... then a small plunger valve that you depress to release pressure.

Ah no wonder I never heard of it. I have a big ole 4 bbl Holley sitting atop mine.

Will try all the other suggestions provided like the insulation, increase air flow etc.

Thanks for the reply

• 5 years later...

This post is from a long time ago, but I wanted to add my thanks for this thread. It saved me literally thousands of dollars. I was about to try and replace my ECM because I thought the heat was causing a problem with it. Turns out my problem was vapor lock! Damn ethanol!!! I put foam pipe insulation on all the metal fuel lines around the motor and BINGO! No more problems starting the engine. I used electrical tape to secure the foam around the lines. I have suffered for several years dealing with this. So glad its fixed!

• 1 year later...