Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WOOOOHOOO!!!

EZSnow

Well, a little (literally) bit of spectra, a nice smooth pull from my brother, and a little bit of work on my technique, and I got up on the skinny stick last night!!

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

It's been at least 8 years since I've really skied. Only once in the last 8 years have I even gotten up, but I was so beat from the act of getting up, I didn't ski much.

My wife was spotting and had never seen me ski before. Heck, even she's excited. Got up on one pull both times. Took a couple turns to get back in the groove, the onside came almost instantly, the offside STILL feels like the offside. I did two free-ski sets and was totally burned. This morning, I learned that there are muscles on the front of your shins, and they must be used in slalom skiing, but the low back is in good shape, so I'll be out there again on friday! I sure was feeling old when I turned 30 earlier this year, but I felt 16 again on that stick last night!

Thumbup.gifYahoo.gifClap.gifYahoo.gifClap.gifYahoo.gif

Well, a little (literally) bit of spectra, a nice smooth pull from my brother, and a little bit of work on my technique, and I got up on the skinny stick last night!!

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

It's been at least 8 years since I've really skied. Only once in the last 8 years have I even gotten up, but I was so beat from the act of getting up, I didn't ski much.

My wife was spotting and had never seen me ski before. Heck, even she's excited. Got up on one pull both times. Took a couple turns to get back in the groove, the onside came almost instantly, the offside STILL feels like the offside. I did two free-ski sets and was totally burned. This morning, I learned that there are muscles on the front of your shins, and they must be used in slalom skiing, but the low back is in good shape, so I'll be out there again on friday! I sure was feeling old when I turned 30 earlier this year, but I felt 16 again on that stick last night!

Thumbup.gifYahoo.gifClap.gifYahoo.gifClap.gifYahoo.gif

Glad to hear all went well Thumbup.gif

I bet the smooth pull was most of the difference. Once you're used to getting up on one ski, I'd get rid of the spectra and get back to a "stretchy" rope.

Good job and congrats. There is no workout like slalom skiing you seem to used a ton of your musle groups.

Yeah, well, my wife offered a real vote of confidence. As my brother is slacking up the line, she holds up two throwable cushions- one in front of her face and one in behind my brother's head... thanks for that, darling...

The spectra definitely worked. I was a little leary of getting slack while turning in on the offside, which happened a couple times (it's the offside for a reason, right?) and I had to bail on the turn to take up the slack, but I didn't lose any shoulder parts. Couple more weeks on the spectra and I'll switch back to the slalom line.

Good job and congrats.

Plus1.gif

There is no workout like slalom skiing you seem to used a ton of your musle groups.

one of the regular crew brought his 22 year old out on tuesday. he kept saying "i ran 5 miles last night and it sure doesn't compare to a few slalom sets". i have yet to find an off season workout that will prepare me for the start of the season.

nice work EZ snow!

keep it up and you'll be ripped up by autumn Rockon.gif

where in MN do you usually ski?

it sounds like you pull up like my 'little' bro eric

he runs about 235 lbs. and is good for a broken handle/rope (or 2) a summer! Oops.gif he never let's go and won't even look at a phatter ski. it takes $10 in gas to get him out of the water, but its worth it Yahoo.gif !

i agree with the others, slalom is a killer workout...after a few sets, wakeboarding seems like such as easy pull!

Edited by Arctic Slalom
Good job and congrats.

Plus1.gif

There is no workout like slalom skiing you seem to used a ton of your musle groups.

one of the regular crew brought his 22 year old out on tuesday. he kept saying "i ran 5 miles last night and it sure doesn't compare to a few slalom sets". i have yet to find an off season workout that will prepare me for the start of the season.

my other 'little' bro started to do the 'P90X' about a month ago. it is really intense and it shows. Thumbup.gif i don't know much about it, but he claims it'll tumble your rocks.

Um, I'm a different kind of 265 than eric... I'm 6'4", but I tend to carry the extra weight a little lower than your brother does... Notworthy.gif

We normally ski green lake in chisago city. Our place is on the big lake, but between the big lake and the small lake, there's almost always some smooth water to tear up.

nice work EZ snow!

keep it up and you'll be ripped up by autumn Rockon.gif

where in MN do you usually ski?

it sounds like you pull up like my 'little' bro eric

he runs about 235 lbs. and is good for a broken handle/rope (or 2) a summer! Oops.gif he never let's go and won't even look at a phatter ski. it takes $10 in gas to get him out of the water, but its worth it Yahoo.gif !

i agree with the others, slalom is a killer workout...after a few sets, wakeboarding seems like such as easy pull!

There definitely has to be a technique issue there either skier or driver. I go 235 to 240 and have never broken a rope or a handle getting out of the water. I am skiing on a 70" Monza right now but I also skied at this weight on a 68.5" D3X5 and could get up on that without an issue. I ski the course and drop at each end and get up with no issues before each pass.

I thought that the spectra would do the trick. I agree with other postings suggesting to get back to the regular slalom line when you can. Glad that you're back into slalom, it is a great workout if you push yourself a little. Enjoy!

I keep thinking about the whole "no stretch" thing. Wakeboard ropes usually have take-off sections down to about 55', right? How about putting a 5 foot section from a slalom line just in front of the handle to add a little bit of give back into the line? That would put you at 60' which is 15' off of a normal slalom rope.

Either way...congrats on getting up again. Now start working on your form. I may build a PVC frame to hold netting to act as a "backstop" for use with some of my "larger" ski partners.