Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new vs used

wvidal

I have been saving up to buy a Malibu and reading all of the great info on this site and was looking for some advice. At what price difference does it make more sense to buy a used boat over a new one. Malibu's in general hold their value very well from the shopping I've done. This is an example of what I'm refering to: I found an 06 v-ride for $37k with 200 hrs and standard options and an 08 V-ride for $43k w/ 0 hrs and same options but it has the waranty. Which is the better buy? Is there a dollar figure diffence to look for when comparing new and used? Thanks.

I try to sell my Boats every year or two. I have had good luck selling like new Malibus at a fair price . If you buy used , all of the " bugs" should be worked out , and have a kickin system too. What size ya looking for ? I have a 2007 LSV for sale Whistling.gif

The 06 vRide sounds overpriced. I bought my 07 new with most all of the available options and paid $41k. I would definitely go with the new 08 if you're looking at a price difference of that little. I'd agree with tomfish, anything that you can find that's less than $10k to get new over used, I would go with the new one.

If you are leaning to the 08, I'd also wait and see what the 09 Vride will offer. Since it's based on the 08 vlx hull, it might make the 08 Vride depreciate quicker due to a design change. Or maybe you could push the price down further on the 08 because of this.

If the 06 is just a basic Vride, it's a little high. If loaded (power wedge, 340, all other options) and high end trailer, sounds about right. There have been several sold in my area with hours fewer than 100 for high 30's.

good luck on the search. BU's are the best.

Thanks for the input I was kind of leaning towards the new b/c of the warranty any how, but I wanted to check to make sure I wasn't missing something. I may hold out the see how the 09 prices out before doing anyting my dealer said a 4% increase on the price of the boats for next year but that doesn't sound like enough. If she still has the '08 vride a month or two more it might keep getting cheaper.

No matter what you buy as soon as you put it in the water it becomes a used boat. The only advantage I see to buying new is if you custom order your boat so you get the exact colors, and package etc that you want. It kinda sounds like that is not the route you'll be taking so I say that even just a few grand goes a long way with water toys and gas new big screen TV etc... But then again this is from a guy who as never bought a brand new boat.

Also there is going to be more wiggle room in the price of a used boat vs. new. The 06 that is $37, is that the ad price or price after negotiation?

I try to sell my Boats every year or two. I have had good luck selling like new Malibus at a fair price . If you buy used , all of the " bugs" should be worked out , and have a kickin system too. What size ya looking for ? I have a 2007 LSV for sale Whistling.gif

What do you want for the LSV? and where are you located?

If the 09 V-Ride is only 4% more than an 08 definitely buy the '09. It will have the 08 VLX hull and will be well worth the 4% price increase.

Plus1.gif
If the 09 V-Ride is only 4% more than an 08 definitely buy the '09. It will have the 08 VLX hull and will be well worth the 4% price increase.