Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake VTX surfing

Wkerat

Hey everyone. I was wondering how you are weighing your vtx to surf? I am mainly interested on the drivers side, but both would help. I can't seem to get the wake long enough. I can ride it , but need a longer sweet spot for spins and with the bow being low to the water already do not want to put more weight in the bow.

Thanks

Hey everyone. I was wondering how you are weighing your vtx to surf? I am mainly interested on the drivers side, but both would help. I can't seem to get the wake long enough. I can ride it , but need a longer sweet spot for spins and with the bow being low to the water already do not want to put more weight in the bow.

Thanks

From the way I see it, You are gonna have to weight the bow if you are looking to get a longer wave. Practice and learn how to drive it loaded. I run a 750 in the back locker, tube sack ,400lber under the seat , 400 on the surf side seat, and another 400 in the bow sometimes with 6-8 peeps on board also. All this is with the stock ballast full except for oposite side. Are you using The wedge? What style and what position?

Also, what board are you riding? How much do you weigh? How fast are you going? All that needs o be factored in also. You can build a killer wave with the VTX, just takes some time to figure YOUR configuration.

I've never surfed the driver side, but guess it would be weighted the same except on the opposite side. My usual set up is port ballast full, v drive sac in port locker full, center ballast half full, wedge at 12:00. Speed anywhere from 9.6-10.6. My board is the longer hyperlite broadcast and I'm a beginner, but can go ropeless for several minutes. Good luck

Thanks,

I am fine driving with the weight in, but it is my drivers who aren't. I have the power wedge. So far the best stock set-up I have found is 11.2 mph, stbd rear full, front and center tanks full, wedge all the way down.

I ride a phase 5 prop and weigh 175. I went out on my 23 from last year with the new owner yesterday and can easily complete my 3's so I know it is just getting the wake right. Thanks for your help. I plan on trying some sacs, but do worry about my drivers as the guys I used to ride with all moved so I have been spending time teaching new drivers and my girlfriend, who, so far is the best of them all, but gets worried when i start adding more weight.

Just take her out a bunch of times without anyone surfing to let her practice driving.

I think if you buy a pair of V drive sacks and put one in the locker and one in the bow, you'll find a lot better wake characteristics and won't see a considerable drop in the level of the bow at rest.