Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Sportster - Fuel System Trouble

I'm having trouble keeping my boat running. We were out at the lake on the weekend and it seemed to be working okay, then died suddenly. Wouldn't start again (though it fired a couple times).

Next day we tried running it again (poured some fuel into the carb to get it going) and idled it for a bit and it kept going no problem (though running a little rough). Ran for a couple of hours and then did the same thing, just died while we were going. Tried to re-start this time and got nothing.

Thought Maybe the fuel filter was the problem and so I pulled it off. There was a little water in it and some particles (which seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, since that's what the filter's for. Changed it out, but still can't get the boat to run. It will still start if there is fuel directly into the carburator, but not otherwise. Fuel is coming into the new filter and the pump is working, so I'm not sure what the trouble might be.

Any ideas?

time for a carbeurator rebuild.

I'll see if I can get it in to the shop, since I don't have a clue how to rebuild it myself. Thanks for the tip, I think I've tried all of the simple things that I'm capable of and it's not working, time to hand it over to the pros.

There is another carb filter in the inlet to the carb itself. Check that for debris. Also, sounds a bit like a vapor lock problem. Fuel quality or engine bay temperature is the culprit there.

You're sure the pump is priming and working, right? The oil pressure safety switch is often a culprit, not allowing the fuel pump to run.

Peter

You're sure the pump is priming and working, right? The oil pressure safety switch is often a culprit, not allowing the fuel pump to run.

Peter

I'm fairly certain. I can hear the pump running when I turn the key to start the engine, I checked yesterday and there was some fuel running to the carb (at least to the inlet), but seemed like there was only fuel at the back-end, not the front. I've called a shop close by and they are taking it in today, not sure when they'll get to it, but I figure better someone that knows what to look for.

I've ordered the shop manual for future help as well.

Peter

I'm fairly certain. I can hear the pump running when I turn the key to start the engine, I checked yesterday and there was some fuel running to the carb (at least to the inlet), but seemed like there was only fuel at the back-end, not the front. I've called a shop close by and they are taking it in today, not sure when they'll get to it, but I figure better someone that knows what to look for.

I've ordered the shop manual for future help as well.

Years ago I had a Holly carb on a i/o boat. I had it rebuilt. After that, It would do the same thing as yours. You had to pour fuel down the throat to get it started. Sometimes that would work and it would run. Other times it would starve for fuel when you tried to accelerate. The problem was that when they rebuilt the carb, they used a inlet filter piece that when you tightened down the the fitting, it would restrict the fuel flow. If you left it loose to allow the fuel to flow, it would leak. If you tightened it, it reduced the fuel flow and it would starve for fuel. The fix was to get a larger fuel filter cavity from the rebuilder and exchange it for the smaller one. that solved my problem.