Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing 247

Chappy

Crew,

A friend of mine just got a 2007 Wakesetter 247 and we were wondering what is the best way to weight it down for surfing. How much ballast and where? Wedge position? And any other helpful tidbits. Also please post some pics of a monster 247 wake if you have any?

Thanks,

Heath

Everyone have a safe and happy 4th Thumbup.gif

Edited by hdchapman

750 in the back locker, 400 on the surf-side seat in front of the locker, 400 up front on the surf side. Wedge 2 bumps up from all the way down. 10.4 goofy, 10.8 regular.

750 in the back locker, 400 on the surf-side seat in front of the locker, 400 up front on the surf side. Wedge 2 bumps up from all the way down. 10.4 goofy, 10.8 regular.
Don't forget mid ballast tank MLS(500 lbs) full and factory bow tank if you have one. 247 should be able to get 2 400lb bags on the surfside seats. The port sidewill hold 2 400 sacks easily. The starboard might need to have the one most forward strapped to tower so it won't roll off. Would'nt hurt to have at least a 400 on the floor surfside ,750 better. If you do that you'll need more bow weight. Just remember weight distribution 60% back of driver to stern 40% driver to bow. And get the boat to list to the surfside.
Don't forget mid ballast tank MLS(500 lbs) full and factory bow tank if you have one. 247 should be able to get 2 400lb bags on the surfside seats. The port sidewill hold 2 400 sacks easily. The starboard might need to have the one most forward strapped to tower so it won't roll off. Would'nt hurt to have at least a 400 on the floor surfside ,750 better. If you do that you'll need more bow weight. Just remember weight distribution 60% back of driver to stern 40% driver to bow. And get the boat to list to the surfside.

Yes, I meant to say fill all the factory MLS except the non-surf side back.

I also forgot to mention the typical crew of 6-8. If less, we sometimes use a couple of 150#'s.

i want to see a macked out 247 surf wake.. oh man

Had to hunt for this pic, it's several years old. One sac in the rear locker, MLS full except non-surf side and probably 14 people on the surf side, wedge half way down...

post-5-1215664234_thumb.jpg

i want to see a macked out 247 surf wake.. oh man

Had to hunt for this pic, it's several years old. One sac in the rear locker, MLS full except non-surf side and probably 14 people on the surf side, wedge half way down...

I love this pic, that wave is unreal Rockon.gif

I have the same boat and have had problems surfing. I have stock ballast filled except for non-surf side, a 400lbs sac in the rear compartment and anywhere for 4-10 peeps in the boat. The wedge is right around the 9 o'clock position, speed is anywhere from 10-12.6. I have been able to surf without the rope but only for a short amount of time on a hyperlite broadcast and it had to be right up behind the boat. Do i really need to add that much weight or am I doing something wrong? I've been told I shouldn't need to extra weight but I can't figure it out.

I have the same boat and have had problems surfing. I have stock ballast filled except for non-surf side, a 400lbs sac in the rear compartment and anywhere for 4-10 peeps in the boat. The wedge is right around the 9 o'clock position, speed is anywhere from 10-12.6. I have been able to surf without the rope but only for a short amount of time on a hyperlite broadcast and it had to be right up behind the boat. Do i really need to add that much weight or am I doing something wrong? I've been told I shouldn't need to extra weight but I can't figure it out.
How deep is the water, wakes are small and have very little push if your in water under 12-15 feet. Also, how big are you, thebroadcast is for 165Lbs or less. If your a good surfer it is manageable , but tough for a big beginner. Most have said wedge al the way down then two bumps up. Don't have one so not first hand knowlege.

Water depth has varied everywhere from 6ft-40ft depending, I know some depths are better than others but gotta take what I can get. It is the 5'6" (I think) board so I thought it was for over the 165lbs, I am about 205lbs.

Water depth has varied everywhere from 6ft-40ft depending, I know some depths are better than others but gotta take what I can get. It is the 5'6" (I think) board so I thought it was for over the 165lbs, I am about 205lbs.

The 5'6" is fine for you, we have both the 5'6" and the 4'8" and i can ride them both at 6'2" 250#.

• 2 weeks later...

What brand of ballast are you using?

I have an '07 247 as well and have been playing around with surfing for the past month. I have all stock ballast filled but left side (i am goofy) and with 6 or so ppl on surf side of boat. We have the manual wedge so I just drop it. I also have the broadcast and am 6'2" and about 200. I can surf for a long time without the rope, but you must be pretty close to the boat- probably have your board about a foot away from the deck and you must stay as close to the whitewash as you can. Its fun but I am looking to add more ballast so the wave is just huge and easier to ride.

I have an '07 247 as well and have been playing around with surfing for the past month. I have all stock ballast filled but left side (i am goofy) and with 6 or so ppl on surf side of boat. We have the manual wedge so I just drop it. I also have the broadcast and am 6'2" and about 200. I can surf for a long time without the rope, but you must be pretty close to the boat- probably have your board about a foot away from the deck and you must stay as close to the whitewash as you can. Its fun but I am looking to add more ballast so the wave is just huge and easier to ride.

You need more weight in a bad way if you're 1' behind the boat. Especially in the bow.

This sounds just like my surf wake with stock ballast and the power wedge. My boat did not come with the bow ballast tank, but I have it laying on the floor of my shop to install. I also have purchased two 750# bags to add to the stock ballast. After surfing behind a fully sacked-out VLX last week (thanks Tracie!) I now no what a real surf wake should look like.