Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

clean boat

I have a Question about cleaning your boat. My wife thanks i over do it a bit, After every use i wipe it down, vac the entire boat , and wax with a quick spray wax. spend maybe two hours each time. Now this is my first boat and I did spend alot of $, And i do take the boat out of the water ever time, even though i live on the lake with my own dock. maybe a little excessive huh

depends on how good you want the boat to look 3 years from now. I did the same thing and my 04 looks better than some of the new boats that come back at the dealer for service or whatever..

I used to tell my teenage kids they take better care of the boat than to do there girl friends. They replied the boats gives them more pleasure.

Everyone is different. And it really depends on what the conditions are at your dock / lake.

I keep mine at the dock & don't spend 2 hrs cleaning it everytime I use it. We clean all the garbage out of it & wipe the interior most everytime we use it, use Babes on the upholstery maybe every 2nd or 3rd time we use it, and pull the boat out of the lake to clean the hull & vacuum it all out like every 2 or 3 weeks.

Two hrs every time you use it? I'd be spending 8 or 10 hrs a week on it. Crazy.gif

I think you can keep the boat looking great without spending as much time as you have been. That's time that I could be out on the water using the boat for what I bought it for! I'm on my 3rd summer with the boat and it still looks great. I have no specific schedule but we do scrub the seats and carpet throughout the summer. Clean up the messes regularly and wipe it down as needed. One thing that I am a stickler about is not wearing shoes in the boat. I also live on a lake but the boat probably does not come out of the water for 3 months or more. I do have a boat lift and cover the boat quite faithfully.

That all being said, everyone does have different standards.

having had boats that were not in great shape, and a new one that is 9 years old and looks near new, I plan on maintaining it religiously so it stays in MINT shape.

I'm a weekend warrior and leave the boat at our cottage 3hrs away from home, so I dont get time mid week to maintain it.

after every ride I spend 5-10min with a terry cloth wiping the top deck and seats down. I think that will go a long way and its only a few minutes...

I also will cover it as much as possible when its in the lake and always when its out.

I plan on waxing it a few times a year at least, and will be treating the seats a few times as well.

2 hrs is very excessive. if you wax it a few times a year, you should be able to wipe it down in a few minutes.

water leaves a residue or film and will ruin the seats in short time.. you gelcoat is very resilient, wash, wax and wipe a few times a year and make sure its not exposed to the sun for long periods of time.

so basically sun and water are the killers. limit them and the boat will look mint.

I have a Question about cleaning your boat. My wife thanks i over do it a bit, After every use i wipe it down, vac the entire boat , and wax with a quick spray wax. spend maybe two hours each time. Now this is my first boat and I did spend alot of $, And i do take the boat out of the water ever time, even though i live on the lake with my own dock. maybe a little excessive huh

Do you have a boat lift? If not, that's the next investment.

Are you enjoying this 2 hrs. of maintenance? If so, then have fun. Otherwise, you can scale it back a notch or two (or several) and the boat will still look new in several years.

OMG! You didn't mention the vinyl. The seats man, the seats! You don't 303 them after each person removes their derriere??? Whistling.gif

I take about 30 min after each time cleaning up the boat and wiping her down. Then about 2-3 time's a yr I will give her a full wax and detail inside/out along with the trailer. Maybe back off to 45min and spent the rest with the family or a longer riding.

MalibuNation

I keep my boat on a lift and wipe it down when done ... otherwise I get it professionally detailed in the spring and it looks brand new. Best 200 bucks I've ever spend.

Sounds about the same as I do.

I do the same, don't worry you'll get top dollar for it when you get rid of it.

Wonder if your getting all your money back after spending 2 hours everytime you ride for however many years you own the boat?

I have a buddy who had a Sportster. He was OCD about cleaning it. Bought it brand new, cleaned it constantly, was super proud that it had some crazy low number of hours on it, cleaned it all the time, even used a toothbrush to clean the piping & threads on the upholstery..... did I mention he cleaned it a LOT?!

The ironic thing about it..... when the boat was a few years old, he somehow managed to sink the boat. He doesn't talk about it but I suspect he took a wave over the bow when he had more than a few people in the boat.

I'm not sure 2 hours per use is going to get you more on the resale than a more moderate amount of care. The market is what it is at the time. The best you could expect is it would sell more easily and perhaps for a bit more than a less cared for boat. My last two boats were mint and I didn't get what I thought I would from either of them.

I'm not sure 2 hours per use is going to get you more on the resale than a more moderate amount of care. The market is what it is at the time. The best you could expect is it would sell more easily and perhaps for a bit more than a less cared for boat. My last two boats were mint and I didn't get what I thought I would from either of them.

That's because you owned them. I am sure the prospective buyers after speaking with you even briefly had doubts about your mental capacity to complete scheduled maintenance in a timely manner thereby driving down the value of said vessel. Yes.gif

That's because you owned them. I am sure the prospective buyers after speaking with you even briefly had doubts about your mental capacity to complete scheduled maintenance in a timely manner thereby driving down the value of said vessel. Yes.gif

I'm not going to bother explaining to the likes of you. :biteme:

Shouldn't you be out cleaning your boat so a prospective customer might even consider buying it??? :lol:

Shouldn't you be out cleaning your boat so a prospective customer might even consider buying it??? :lol:

Yes.gif - - - - - - > :(

I'm really feeling bi-polar about selling it. I think I have just about convinced myself to not sell. :lol:

:Doh:

Hmmmm, a beer or two and some tunes....cleaning the boat...sounds relaxing to me.

I wipe down after I load with absorber chamois. I also wipe interior out with wet towels or absorbers. If I take water over the bow like this weekend, due to being a rookie in learning how to pick up a fallen rider, lol, I take out the bissell and suck all the water and crud out of the carpet.

For me, I dont live on the lake, so my boat may sit for a week, and if so, I hate the thought of sand and crap in it, so i will wipe it with babes or mequires on the gelcoat, clean the glass, wipe the seats with babes seat soap, every so often 303 the vinyl. I also pull everything out of the boat after use to dry, pain in the rear, and got my wife to ask for a bigger garage in the next house!! Clap.gif

MalibuNation
Hmmmm, a beer or two and some tunes....cleaning the boat...sounds relaxing to me.

I wipe down after I load with absorber chamois. I also wipe interior out with wet towels or absorbers. If I take water over the bow like this weekend, due to being a rookie in learning how to pick up a fallen rider, lol, I take out the bissell and suck all the water and crud out of the carpet.

For me, I dont live on the lake, so my boat may sit for a week, and if so, I hate the thought of sand and crap in it, so i will wipe it with babes or mequires on the gelcoat, clean the glass, wipe the seats with babes seat soap, every so often 303 the vinyl. I also pull everything out of the boat after use to dry, pain in the rear, and got my wife to ask for a bigger garage in the next house!! Clap.gif

Sounds like me and mowing w/o the beer... I call it mower's high ... like jogger's high. I have a good ole time mowing, talking to myself, singing ... I see my neighbors doing it to. Therapy (sp).