Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DRY ICE

KSilva

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am taking off today to the lake and coming home on Sunday... I was going to buy ice, but a buddy of mine told me to use dry ice. I have never used this stuff before...

He told me to buy some dry ice and place it on the bottom of the ice box and then put my drinks and then add some regular ice on top of the drinks.... Don't know if that makes sense...

Anyone got some advice? I was going to use it for drink in my cooler....

Thanks in advance...

I would be careful if you go to grab something and you end up touching the dry ice, that would be my only concern. They sell in plastic bags so it shouldn't hurt the ice chest.

Yea, just put the dry ice in plastic & you should be fine. If you touch it for any length of time it can burn skin. Also will freeze water & some liquids solid if it's close by. It can damage fruit, veggies & meat pretty easily too.

Lasts a long time though, more than a weekend.

It expands like crazy - you won't be able to keep the plastic closed. The stuff is pretty expensive, and will freeze your drinks. Why do you want to use dry ice?

Just get a block of ice for $3, throw some crushed ice over everything, and call it a day

I had, up to this year, access to free dry ice cubes at work for four years. When the guys and I would go out boating after work, we tried mixing dry and wet ice together, but that froze all our beverages. So then we placed the dry ice on the bottom of the cooler, than regular ice on top of that. The beverages still managed to contact the dry ice and freeze after a while. Finally we put the dry ice in a cardboard box and placed the wet ice on top of that. This worked the best, but the melting wet ice would take out the dry ice pretty quickly. We would only get the day out of the ice, like from 3 to 8 o'clock. Any contact at all to the dry ice will freeze whatever you are trying to keep cold. The best part of dry ice is throwing it in the water when the day is over.

It expands like crazy - you won't be able to keep the plastic closed. The stuff is pretty expensive, and will freeze your drinks. Why do you want to use dry ice?

Just get a block of ice for $3, throw some crushed ice over everything, and call it a day

X2 and blocks are the way to go, last a while on are two week camping trips.

This may sound crazy but I some how make ice when I'm out camping. Crazy.gif

What I will do is put all my water, sports drinks meats in the freezer 24-36 hrs before packing the coolers. Then put them mixed in with the normal stuff, milk, juice, ect and then add ice on top. With the frozen drinks mixed in, it will freeze all the ice into one huge block. I can go for 4-5 days in 100+ temps with out buying ice and have even given some away.

make sure you never put dry ice in an empty 2 litre bottle with a little bit of water and put the cap on tightly and run. Never do this.

I had, up to this year, access to free dry ice cubes at work for four years. When the guys and I would go out boating after work, we tried mixing dry and wet ice together, but that froze all our beverages. So then we placed the dry ice on the bottom of the cooler, than regular ice on top of that. The beverages still managed to contact the dry ice and freeze after a while. Finally we put the dry ice in a cardboard box and placed the wet ice on top of that. This worked the best, but the melting wet ice would take out the dry ice pretty quickly. We would only get the day out of the ice, like from 3 to 8 o'clock. Any contact at all to the dry ice will freeze whatever you are trying to keep cold. The best part of dry ice is throwing it in the water when the day is over.

beer-sicle, yummy Drool.gif

make sure you never put dry ice in an empty 2 litre bottle with a little bit of water and put the cap on tightly and run. Never do this.

How many people are going to try this tomorrow?

Thumbup.gifYahoo.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gifThumbup.gif

Come on, it's the 4th. We gotta blow something up.

MalibuNation

I've used D I in my Bu before and was careful. If you have access to clean 1/2 gallon milk jugs or quarts fill them half full and freeze them. Then add a little more water put back in the freezer, repeat until you have a nice block of ice. Throw that in your cooler.

Edited by MalibuNation

Thumbup.gifYahoo.gifThumbup.gifYahoo.gifThumbup.gif

Come on, it's the 4th. We gotta blow something up.

Love doin' this... Biggrin.gif

If you have access to clean 1/2 gallon milk jugs or quarts fill them half full and freeze them. Then add a little more water put back in the freezer, repeat until you have a nice block of ice. Throw that in your cooler.

We have been doing something like this for years now.

Use the empty 2 liter bottles from soda drinks (we have several of them on a regular basis), fill them with water above the top of the label and then sqeeze them slightly while putting the caps back on tight. (It took doing a few to figure out the max fill and amount of squeeze to put on them for expansion), then in the freezer they go.

Before we fill the cooler, I will cut the plastic off of a couple of them with a safety knife while wearing gloves (don't want stitches before going to the lake) and use them whole or hit them a few times with a large hammer before opening to have smaller chunks.

We keep several in the garage freezer at all times, the block ice effect seems to always last longer and free is the best price that I know of. Thumbup.gif

When I was younger my dad would bring dry ice home from work (they used it to ship the ice cream) and we would ALWAYS blow up 2 liters in the field next to the house. Rockon.gif

MalibuNation
If you have access to clean 1/2 gallon milk jugs or quarts fill them half full and freeze them. Then add a little more water put back in the freezer, repeat until you have a nice block of ice. Throw that in your cooler.

We have been doing something like this for years now.

Use the empty 2 liter bottles from soda drinks (we have several of them on a regular basis), fill them with water above the top of the label and then sqeeze them slightly while putting the caps back on tight. (It took doing a few to figure out the max fill and amount of squeeze to put on them for expansion), then in the freezer they go.

Before we fill the cooler, I will cut the plastic off of a couple of them with a safety knife while wearing gloves (don't want stitches before going to the lake) and use them whole or hit them a few times with a large hammer before opening to have smaller chunks.

We keep several in the garage freezer at all times, the block ice effect seems to always last longer and free is the best price that I know of. Thumbup.gif

We have a bottle law here in MI, this cheap Dutchman isn't going to part with a shinny new dime!