Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upper Board Rack

Just a quick question.....I was looking at putting a set of upper racks on an '06 Illusion tower for a kneeboard/surfboard, however, the mounting holes on the tower appear to be rather close together. If I were to mount the upper rack, it appears I would be unable to put a wakeboard on the top fork on the lower rack. The boot would hit the upper rack. I currently have the Lightening racks that came with the boat.

Am I missing something? Or are there different racks I need to look at?

Thanks

Just a quick question.....I was looking at putting a set of upper racks on an '06 Illusion tower for a kneeboard/surfboard, however, the mounting holes on the tower appear to be rather close together. If I were to mount the upper rack, it appears I would be unable to put a wakeboard on the top fork on the lower rack. The boot would hit the upper rack. I currently have the Lightening racks that came with the boat.

Am I missing something? Or are there different racks I need to look at?

Thanks

I'm in the same "boat". I have lightening racks and unfortunately they do not make separate upper and lower racks or rack mounts.

One alternative I've considered is buying two drop down brackets from nice racks. The brackets will drop the lower rack down about 5 inches. They do not show them on their web page, but you can call them on the phone to order the bracket.

I have a few pics of the one's your talking about Woody. I'll have to see about posting them up tonight.

Also as a side not, Nice Rack has come out with a 2 surfboard rack. It will hold the landlock and a few other of the thicker boards. 2.25" gap come's to mind but not sure.

What brand racks do you have now? If they are Titan then they come in straight and 30 degree model for the upper and lower position. I can get 8 boards in mine no problem.

I have a few pics of the one's your talking about Woody. I'll have to see about posting them up tonight.

Also as a side not, Nice Rack has come out with a 2 surfboard rack. It will hold the landlock and a few other of the thicker boards. 2.25" gap come's to mind but not sure.

The 2 surf rack is awesome Thumbup.gif I will post some pics tomorrow, just got her back from the dealer.

BB can't wait to see them.

The Titan off set and Nice rack's are the way to go. Both companys are great to work with. If you have just a normal set of racks then I would look at the Titan 30deg off for the uppers.

Is the bottom rack the Nice rack that drops down 5". Can you buy the bracket and use your exsisting rack, or do you have to buy the bracket with the rack?

Is the bottom rack the Nice rack that drops down 5". Can you buy the bracket and use your exsisting rack, or do you have to buy the bracket with the rack?

You can buy the bracket separate.

Does anyone have the drop down bracket from Nice-rack? If so, are you satisfied with them? Or do they position the lower racks too low?

BB can't wait to see them.

The Titan off set and Nice rack's are the way to go. Both companys are great to work with. If you have just a normal set of racks then I would look at the Titan 30deg off for the uppers.

Wish i would have known about these before cutting an old 30 degree set straight to fit in the lower mounts.....dang, oh well mine still works.