Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunk Carpet Replacement

What are the options for replacing the carpet on one of the bunks on my trailer? Does this have to be ordered through the dealer, or can I order it from some other source?

I have a Boatmate trailer and the carpet on one of the bunks ripped right on the edge where the boat rides and it is scratching the hull. Any suggestions for getting scratches out of a black hull?

Dontknow.gif

My hull has some light scratches on it as well from the trailer bunks... That is definitely an area where Boatmate needs to improve is their carpeting on those bunks..

What are the options for replacing the carpet on one of the bunks on my trailer? Does this have to be ordered through the dealer, or can I order it from some other source?

I have a Boatmate trailer and the carpet on one of the bunks ripped right on the edge where the boat rides and it is scratching the hull. Any suggestions for getting scratches out of a black hull?

Dontknow.gif

If they are surface scratches, you can try buffing them out with a good was compound and orbital buffer. Try it on a small area first. My cousin's brand new 2008 which has a black hull and has only been on the trailer twice already, has hull scratches from the carpeting. My overall opinion is that carpeted bunks sucks. One reason is they tend to get sand and grit in the carpet which will cause most of the scratches. Also, make sure the trailer is in deep enough so you don't drag on the bunks when loading/unloading.

I made runners for my lift and used 2x6 plus carpeting(matched the measurements from the trailer). You can get the carpeting at most marinas etc. When I re-do mine, I will be using marine vinyl next time.

Something like this

Marine bunk Vinyl

Edited by areamike

I have had the same issue with my bunks on the extreme trailer. I called my dealer and they sent me some replacement carpet at no charge! Thanks Greg @ Wizard Lake.

Dontknow.gif

If they are surface scratches, you can try buffing them out with a good was compound and orbital buffer. Try it on a small area first. My cousin's brand new 2008 which has a black hull and has only been on the trailer twice already, has hull scratches from the carpeting. My overall opinion is that carpeted bunks sucks. One reason is they tend to get sand and grit in the carpet which will cause most of the scratches. Also, make sure the trailer is in deep enough so you don't drag on the bunks when loading/unloading.

I made runners for my lift and used 2x6 plus carpeting(matched the measurements from the trailer). You can get the carpeting at most marinas etc. When I re-do mine, I will be using marine vinyl next time.

Something like this

Marine bunk Vinyl

How, exactly, can you buff these scratches out? If they are caused by the trailer and the boat is out of the water.... it's on the trailer. Dontknow.gif

Not trying to be a "smart #$@" I'm just wondering. I have some of these scratches myself and I'm wondering how people take care of them.

I have also had to deal with this problem.... I have an SMP (Sweetwater trailer) and my carpet wore through the carpet and the wood scratched my hull.

The scratches were deep enough that I had to have them wet sanded by Calibre Boat repair. They also buffed the bottom and replaced the carpet. Well they put new carpet over the old to add extra padding. Seemed to have worked great. My hull is red and even the slightest scratches show up and I wanted it fixed professionally. They used a hoist and lifted the boat in the shop. I don't think it is possible for a normal guy to do this type of work. I dropped $520.00 on that to boot.

Damn sexy boat I might add!!

Edited by Cougar1
Anyone ever tried using Trex decking to replace the bunks?

My OEM bow V bunks where trex or something like it, everything else was the standard green board. when I was changing everything out and saw that I said to myself "what the Heck" Dontknow.gif

I need to replace the carpet as well.

I can't see Trex having the long-term rigidity to support a boat given its propensity to sag (unless it's made substantial improvements over recent years.)

I got tired of replacing the carpet on my boat lift. I used Tie Down Engineering Bunk Glide Ons from Cabelas. Two year no ware and no scratches on the boat. there made for boat trailers but I used them on the lift. If I am out on the water the lift bunks stay in the water and the carpet just never held up.

Dontknow.gif

Something like this

Marine bunk Vinyl

How, exactly, can you buff these scratches out? If they are caused by the trailer and the boat is out of the water.... it's on the trailer. Dontknow.gif

Not trying to be a "smart #$@" I'm just wondering. I have some of these scratches myself and I'm wondering how people take care of them.

I never said it would be easy. Whistling.gif

Hence the word, "try". If you have the means, you can hoist the boat up. Or you can even "try" turning it in for warranty work.

Has anyone else replaced the carpet on the trailer bunks with something else besides carpeting. We replaced the carpet a week ago and there is quite a bit of wear on the new stuff already. Where we boat we load out at least twice a day so something that would be easier on the boat would be great. And yes we wet the bunks completely before we load/unload.

Has anyone else replaced the carpet on the trailer bunks with something else besides carpeting. We replaced the carpet a week ago and there is quite a bit of wear on the new stuff already. Where we boat we load out at least twice a day so something that would be easier on the boat would be great. And yes we wet the bunks completely before we load/unload.

Anyone ever used a product called Bunkaps? Heavy duty space craft nose cone material that you put right over the wood. Very slick and no scratches.

Isn't that an oxymoron? I talked to a dealer today and mentioned how the carpeting scratches the bunks. His said make sure you wet the bunks before putting boat on/off. I was like, uh...don't they get wet when you put the trailer in? So do you dip the trailer in, pull it out then put it back in again? Crazy.gif

I always back my trailer in enough that the bunks are completely wet and still have hull scratches/scuffs from the carpet.

Thanks for the info AreaMike. I think I will look seriously at the Tie-Down Engineering Bunk Glide-Ons. They seem like they should do the trick. Has anyone else on the crew tried either of these products on their trailer?

Isn't that an oxymoron? I talked to a dealer today and mentioned how the carpeting scratches the bunks. His said make sure you wet the bunks before putting boat on/off. I was like, uh...don't they get wet when you put the trailer in? So do you dip the trailer in, pull it out then put it back in again? Crazy.gif

I always back my trailer in enough that the bunks are completely wet and still have hull scratches/scuffs from the carpet.

We back WAY in to get the bunks completely wet, then pull out a bit

I noticed this week-end that mine are starting to wear as well, i will be changing mine while i'm on holidays in a couple weeks, and yes i also have the scratches you all talk about, i was waxing the under side last night and noticed a few light one that i fear will turn into deeper ones.

I noticed this week-end that mine are starting to wear as well, i will be changing mine while i'm on holidays in a couple weeks, and yes i also have the scratches you all talk about, i was waxing the under side last night and noticed a few light one that i fear will turn into deeper ones.

That's why you get the white hull...

He has the white hull!!! And so do I !!!! Biggrin.gif

He has the white hull!!! And so do I !!!! Biggrin.gif

That was my point.