Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Alternator

I was recently in a storm with my bu and took on a bit of water. I have an 06 vlx with the 340hp monsoon engine, what is the stock alternator on the boat. My marine says my boat will be down for a couple days cause they have to tear down the engine and wait for the new part. does anyone know what should be stock? i dont want down time during the 4th of july weekend. My alternator is working now but i need the need it for the estimate for my insurance company.

I was recently in a storm with my bu and took on a bit of water. I have an 06 vlx with the 340hp monsoon engine, what is the stock alternator on the boat. My marine says my boat will be down for a couple days cause they have to tear down the engine and wait for the new part. does anyone know what should be stock? i dont want down time during the 4th of july weekend. My alternator is working now but i need the need it for the estimate for my insurance company.

Not too sure about the newer Bu's, but mine has a 90 amp alternator (Delco). You can not use one for a car either for two reasons: 1, no one can find one and 2, marine engines use spark protected alternators to avoid fires from the gas fumes under the engine cover. However, this is all really a mute point b/c I have changed my alternator out in about 20 minutes, not a couple of days Dontknow.gif

tare down the engine? Should pretty much be a bolt on\bolt off procedure.

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't it 2 bolts and three wires? It must be more than an alt problem if thay have to do that much work and take that long to do it.

If taking on a bit of water includes enough water to get up to the alternator on that engine, then yes, tearing down the engine may be involved, but it wouldn't be just for the alternator, that's a lot of water.