Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is spectra REALLY this small?!?

EZSnow

I just received my spectra mainline from wakecord. It's *about* half the thickness of a standard pencil. The nice gentleman I spoke with at wakecord before ordering opined that I was more likely to bend the pylon before the break point of the rope was reached. While this may have been a bit of salesmanship, I understand the point he was making- it's strong.

But is it always this THIN!?! Just looking at it, I wouldn't use it to tie my boat to the dock, nevermind putting a handle on it and using it to pull my fat butt around the lake. Tell me I'm wrong... please!

Yup that's the stuff. Even mine with the outer plastic jacketing is smaller than a pencil. This is ZERO stretch rope so it's very tightly wound giving it it's small size.

Sounds about right. The yellow jacket I've been using for the last 3 seasons is a little thicker than what you're saying, but not much. No problems at all with it.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I'll be skiing this weekend!

enjoy your weekend. And yes the spectra is very strong.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully I'll be skiing this weekend!

I hope you mean wakeboarding. I don't think you want to be skiing with a spectra line, there's no stretch. If you're skiing you want a line that stretches.

I hope you mean wakeboarding. I don't think you want to be skiing with a spectra line, there's no stretch. If you're skiing you want a line that stretches.

No, I mean skiing. I'm every bit of 265#, and if there's a "failure to launch" on the skinny stick, the handle ends up IN THE BOAT. So I'm getting back in the water hoping that the spectra line will let me practice my deepwater starts. The fact that there is no stretch has been duly noted, and I expect to take it easy in the first few turns to get a feel for things again... I've only been up once or twice in the last 8 years or so.

No, I mean skiing. I'm every bit of 265#, and if there's a "failure to launch" on the skinny stick, the handle ends up IN THE BOAT. So I'm getting back in the water hoping that the spectra line will let me practice my deepwater starts. The fact that there is no stretch has been duly noted, and I expect to take it easy in the first few turns to get a feel for things again... I've only been up once or twice in the last 8 years or so.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif I just spit out my breakfast.

Glad I could provide some comic relief. The other option was for my driver and spotter to wear helmets in the boat...

I think there's a form issue there... Shouldn't take that much force to get you up out of the water... Being anywhere from 235 - 255 over the past years, I've never come too close to putting the handle in the boat. I do think we touched on the deep water start in another thread, so no suggestions in this one.

Doesn't sound like you'll be getting too much slack, but I would be cautious on any slack hits since the rope will not absorb any of it. It will be on you and the pylon.

Yeah, we talked about for in the other thread. I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably quite rusty. I'm sure there will be plenty to work on. However, in the interest of the safety of the folks in the boat, the no stretch line should eliminate one variable from the equation. It's hard to practice your form when all you can think about is "don't pop the handle... don't pop the handle... don't pop the handle"

the only time I've had issues with the spectra is when they aren't tied properly at the tie offs. I had one rope that eventually all tie offs let go and I had to retie them. Otherwise, I've only seen it broken when it gets wrapped around something like a prop, but I haven't done that personally