Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drive Train

On our 2005 malibu VLX we are having drive train problem and are looking for advice. Just after plaining out and going between 15-20 mph you could hear the motor over rev and the boat started to slowdown. It was like it slipped into neutral or the prop fell off. The first thing we checked was the V Drive and found the external temperature to be good but the oil level was barely on the dipstick. The transmission fluid level was good. We also turned the prop to prove the drive line from the V Drive to the prop and it was good. There was not any evidince of damage and when it happened there was not a grinding or braking noises. Even afterwards with the oil level topped up, when you start the boat and put it in gear there is no evidince of damage or grinding, but the engine will still not turnthe prop.

I was wondering if someone would be able to help us with our problem.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Hoarmd
You say you checked the V-Drive...did you check the transmission for fluid level?

Yes the transmision fluid was good. Sorry I forgot to indicate this.

Thanks

You say you checked the V-Drive...did you check the transmission for fluid level?
Yes the transmision fluid was good. Sorry I forgot to indicate this.

Thanks

If the fluid is good then the tranny probably isn't.

Hey...I just realized something...here's a member that is fairly new and yet he figured out how to use the quote function. :unsure: Why is it so hard for others? Whistling.gif

Hoarmd - At this point, unless you are one, I would suggest taking it to a professional. Good luck and Welcome.gif

On our 2005 malibu VLX we are having drive train problem and are looking for advice. Just after plaining out and going between 15-20 mph you could hear the motor over rev and the boat started to slowdown. It was like it slipped into neutral or the prop fell off. The first thing we checked was the V Drive and found the external temperature to be good but the oil level was barely on the dipstick. The transmission fluid level was good. We also turned the prop to prove the drive line from the V Drive to the prop and it was good. There was not any evidince of damage and when it happened there was not a grinding or braking noises. Even afterwards with the oil level topped up, when you start the boat and put it in gear there is no evidince of damage or grinding, but the engine will still not turnthe prop.

Thanks

Mike

Long shot,check the cable linkage from the shifter to the tranny especially at the lever on the tranny. Make sure when you move the throttle forward and reverse the lever on the tranny is doing likewise. Check simple things first.
Just ran out in the spring. 7 hour on the boat since. Justt couldn't have happened last year.

Have you checked to make sure the linkage is tight or that the lever bracket is not loose on the transfer case? First I think you would want to make sure that it's fully engaging into gear, if you have then your choices are going to be very limited in what you can figure out.

Edited by 68Slalom
Have you checked to make sure the linkage is tight or that the lever bracket is not loose on the transfer case? ...

Transfer case? He has the four wheel drive model? Crazy.gif

I know I'm not good with math but that just don't add up. Crazy.gif

Thanks

Mike

Long shot,check the cable linkage from the shifter to the tranny especially at the lever on the tranny. Make sure when you move the throttle forward and reverse the lever on the tranny is doing likewise. Check simple things first.

One last thing I believe there is a key on the other end of the tapered shaft at the Vdrive side it might have been sheared off.

Thanks

Mike

Mike, are you checking the V-drive fluid immediately after shutting the engine off? That's the way it should be done....before the oil has a chance to drain back into the tranny from the cooler/lines.