Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine overheated

On Saturday my impeller went out and my engine got hot. I noticed a smell like burning rubber and looked down to see my temp gauge was 220+. So I immediately shut of the engine a got a tow in. Today I bypassed the impeller with a garden hose to make sure that was my only problem, and I cannot get my engine to start. It will barely turn over. As in the only sound it makes is the hum from the starter, and the pullys in the front of the engine barely move. Its like the cylinders are seized or something. The engine is a 5.7 mercruser. The head are cast iron so I didn't think that it got hot enough to warp or crack them. The boat is going to the shop tomorrow. I was just hoping for someone to tell me how bad this could actually be.

Sorry Abe, but it doesn't look good for your engine. Get it checked out, but you may be needing to look into a rebuild or dropping in a new engine.

You might take the plugs out and turn over the engine at the crank pulley. If it won't go easy, you've got a major problem. Otherwise the starter is the first component that needs to be replaced. Good luck.

Does your oil on the dipstick seem really high or look milky? Have you pulled the plugs to see if there is water in the cylinders? Those would be the first place I would start.

You may have burned a head gasket and have H2O in the cylinders. Kiley and t2wintip have told you your next steps. Good luck my friend.

Ok I just took out a spark plug and and it caused a water fall. So what are the best case and worst case scenarios here? Could it just be a head gasket? what is next step?

Ok I just took out a spark plug and and it caused a water fall. So what are the best case and worst case scenarios here? Could it just be a head gasket? what is next step?

Best case scenario is a head gasket. Pull the heads, clean, and reassemble with a new head gasket. Easy.

Worst case scenario? :( Warped or cracked head let the water in and once in it destroyed pistons or rods or...

Next step is pull it apart to take a look.

Best case scenario is a head gasket. Pull the heads, clean, and reassemble with a new head gasket. Easy.

Worst case scenario? :( Warped or cracked head let the water in and once in it destroyed pistons or rods or...

Next step is pull it apart to take a look.

...if you've got the heads off anyway, you may want to take them to a machine shop and have them mic'd for cracks/warps. Not sure if you have to pull the valves and springs (i always have)...but if not, it's worth your time/$. You'll be upset if you assume only head gasket; reassemble; and it ends up being a head too. Twice the work.

Best wishes man...been there.

...if you've got the heads off anyway, you may want to take them to a machine shop and have them mic'd for cracks/warps...

Definitely have them checked...Yes.gif I was assuming everyone would know that but you know what happens when you assume. :Doh: Good catch.

Edited by NorCaliBu

The engine is done. Completely seized. Anyone want to buy a really nice 88 skier, with a blown motor? I just had all the wood (floor & stringers) redone 2 years ago, so that has 8 more years of warranty on it. I can't afford a $4500 motor job.

The engine is done. Completely seized. Anyone want to buy a really nice 88 skier, with a blown motor? I just had all the wood (floor & stringers) redone 2 years ago, so that has 8 more years of warranty on it. I can't afford a $4500 motor job.

Where are you located and are you really going to sell?

:( Man, sorry to hear that. $4500 sounds a little steep though.

No kidding. $4500 is very steep. Seems to me you can get a long block for much less than that...but I could be wrong. I know I saw a thread on here recently that discussed prices and locations for long blocks vs. new indmar. But with an '88, you should be looking at either a basic 350 chevy or 351 ford. It's gotta be cheaper than $4500.

Don't give up, keep checking. Do you think the block is bad or can you get it rebuilt?

Good luck!

One idea...when I needed a Chevy 350 to do an engine swap on my Toyota LandCruiser (FJ-40) I bought a mid-80's Chevy P/U that had been rear-ended for $750. Got everything I needed off of it then sold what was left for $300. I got a complete Chevy 350 for $400. Biggrin.gif

Hmmm, if I loved my boat this much and didn't have the money, I would have to use some home equity or something. Can't you claim this on insurance or something? :blush:

If your not very hands on with a wrench $4500 sounds about right, but if you can do it yourself or have some friends that can help you and know what they are doing you can easily save about $1500-2000.

Edited by 68Slalom
One idea...when I needed a Chevy 350 to do an engine swap on my Toyota LandCruiser (FJ-40) I bought a mid-80's Chevy P/U that had been rear-ended for $750. Got everything I needed off of it then sold what was left for $300. I got a complete Chevy 350 for $400. Biggrin.gif

Ok well you may be the grammar police, but who is the math police....

If your not very hands on with a wrench $4500 sounds about right, but if you can do it yourself or have some friends that can help you and know what they are doing you can easily save about $1500-2000.

ahso...good point.

ahso...good point.

I just bought a rebuilt marine engine from www.rebuiltmarineengines.com. Free shipping to the door, total was $2020.00. My neighbor put it in for $300.00. You may check the site out and see if they have what you are looking for. They have a list of engines....... Hope this helps.

AF1

Edited by Air Force 1

Mike, you where just had Whistling.gif I'm adding $700 total

:lol: Typing too fast...make that $450. :Doh:

Well I'm going to be driving it to Silverton (from madras) next week to take it to my dads shop to pull the heads, and maybe the engine. My dads neighbor rebuilds engines for $800. I'm sure it would take all winter, but.... Anyway I would sell it to get out from under it. It is a fantastic boat. Like I said Pacific Powerboats redid the wood. It has a nice stereo, ipod adapter, good upholstery nice carpet (couple light stains). Gel coat is perfect (pic is my aviator). Sampson tower one wake rack one ski rack wired for speakers but none currently on the tower. Awesome ski wake. Ok wakeboarding wake. I'd let the 3 fat sacs (2 red on yellow up to 1400lbs with all three) and pump go with it. The problem is I still owe like 8,500 hundred on it, but if a person was engine savy and could get it back in the water for a couple grand they would have a rad boat for a good price. Other than the fact the engine is blown the boat is in better condition than most boats that are 5 years old. I was hoping to upgrade this winter, but if I have to put a ton of time and or money into the engine I won't be able to. So yeah I would sell it but I don't know if $8500 is to much for an 88 skier without an engine regardless of how nice it is....

Where are you located and are you really going to sell?

I won't know till next week when I pull the heads off. $4,500 was what I was quoted for a new marine crate engine installed. I've been told a "marine" block is unnecessary, as long as a high performance cam is used. So yeah, a guy who new what he was doing could do this for much much less, but this is knowledge and more importantly time that I do not have. Gotta love boating!

:( Man, sorry to hear that. $4500 sounds a little steep though.

No kidding. $4500 is very steep. Seems to me you can get a long block for much less than that...but I could be wrong. I know I saw a thread on here recently that discussed prices and locations for long blocks vs. new indmar. But with an '88, you should be looking at either a basic 350 chevy or 351 ford. It's gotta be cheaper than $4500.

Don't give up, keep checking. Do you think the block is bad or can you get it rebuilt?

Good luck!

I am wondering what people think this boat could sell for with a blown engine. I am thinking that if the engine was still in solid working order that the boat would be around 10k. Thoughts?

I am wondering what people think this boat could sell for with a blown engine. I am thinking that if the engine was still in solid working order that the boat would be around 10k. Thoughts?

Personally I think that's a little optimistic.

Also, a marine engine has different cylinder clearances than an automotive engine, so that does matter. It's more than just a cam that makes the difference.