Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cherry Picker

How hard is it to yank the Monsoon engine in a VLX. Seems like a cherry picker wouldn't be tall enough, nor would it slide under far enough to center over the engine to pull it. I'm sure it's common sense on what to disconnect before you pull the engine, but anyone know the basic steps and how long it takes?

I just pulled an engine out of an old Correct Craft I bought. I used my kids swing set, (a 2x10 bolted into two trees), and a come along. I was all set up and had an engine stand built prior to starting. It only took about 1 hour to get the engine from the boat to the garage.

That's how I've done it in the past as well - come-along and a tree. Winch it up, and drive the boat out from under it. You should be able to pull a V-drive motor in 5 hrs tops.

We've used a front-end loader and lift it out...but then i guess not everyone has one of those. guess my 2 cents is worth only about 1...sorry

interesting since I have harbor freight right down the road.... I was thinking of some sort of contraption that I can mount in my garage. I'm sure it has to be a heck of a lot cheaper if I pull the motor myself.

Do you just fabricate your own engine mount some how and then stick it in the back of a truck and haul it to the machine shop?

We had borrowed a regular steel engine stand from a buddy. Once we had the engine up in the air, pulled the boat out from under it, lowered & put it on the stand, we dismantled it right there. The heads were in good shape & it turned out to be a broken rod & piston. Once we had the block & crank & everything apart, we cleaned it all up & took it all into a machine shop where they did all the machining & assembled the short block for us (block, crank, pistons & rods). They had it on a pallet so it was easy to load in the truck, back it under our chain hoist, lift it & put it back on the engine stand for final assembly.

The bare block is not so bad to move & get in your truck, maybe 150 or 200 lbs. Not easy, but not impossible for a couple guys & a furniture dolly. Or just use your hoist.... gotta get your $42 out of that baby!

Good luck. It was an interesting learning experience for us.

Be careful just hanging a hoist from the rafters in the garage. Airjunky must have some pretty hefty beams in his garage.

Could be.... as I recall they were pretty basic 2"x12" roof joists in a pole building. Not your average garage, but not reinforced either.

I've swapped motors in my vlx in my garage with a typical rental cherry picker, so it CAN be done. You may have to get creative. I think all I did was either completely deflate the tires or removed them altogether and lowered the axle on blocks to within an inch or so of the floor. Regardless, drop the trailer as low as you can and it should clear. Mine did anyway.

How hard is it to yank the Monsoon engine in a VLX. Seems like a cherry picker wouldn't be tall enough, nor would it slide under far enough to center over the engine to pull it. I'm sure it's common sense on what to disconnect before you pull the engine, but anyone know the basic steps and how long it takes?

You are correct, a regular engine hoist will not work. I used an engine hoist (cherry picker) that is built for a lifted trucks or 4X4's. The one I rented was a one piece unit that you towed. Even then I had to use the slope of my driveway to get enough clearance to clear the hull. The lift may have gone a bit higher, but I felt uncomfortable with the engine dangling that high up and trying to roll the lift back. Anyway, it worked perfectly.

I pulled my engine out, swapped all of the necessary parts over to the new long block, and had it sitting back in the boat in 3 days (including time to pick up the new engine), ready to start in one week.

Good luck