Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another NEW Malibu Owner

Killer

Thanks to all on this site that have put up with me for the last few years.. I've been DYING for a 'bu!!! honestly I posted up that I wanted a sportster a few years ago, and now I have one...

your basic 99 Malibu Sportster - 310hp carb w/ 201hrs:

DSC08635-sml.jpg

100_0915.jpg

Also, love to hear your thoughts, comments and any more info you can tell me about this model, motor, and "tricks/quirks" it has..

thanks, and hope to post more on this site,

H20 aka MD

Edited by H20ski Dude

Is that a CVP SS prop?

If so, you will want to research that, too.

Congrats on the new rocketship. Your friends with other inboards will be extremely jealous of the raw strength this boat possesses. After you get some time in the seat, take a GPS out with you and watch it pass 50mph with no problem.

I loved my 99 Sporty.

Edited by martho

It is identical to the one I owned for 4 years! The worst move that I have made in my life was selling it... Cry.gif I remember you being on a budget, is it too personal to ask how much you paid for it? I sold mine 29K$ in 2006 without the trailer.

Congrats and enjoy!

14k usd.. almost exactly 16k CAD after tax and import. I feel I over paid by $500-$1000 based on what they've been selling for, options, and nada value, but it is so clean and he was asking 17k a month ago...

I love it, its the perfect boat for me. a little louder for the back seat passengers, but not an issue for the skier. other than that I'd like to put a prop on it, perfect pass and a skylon.

did you replace the stainless prop?

DSC08653s.jpg

Edited by H20ski Dude

Those CVP stainless props are ticking timebombs. They've been known to throw blades. Go to an Acme or OJ CNC and don't look back.

Have you skied behind it yet? Those things are total muscleboats. I go 235 lbs and when I ski behind my bud's Sporty, I feel like I'm being pulled up by a big Case tractor or something. Amazing power those things have.

My buddy put an ACME 13x13 and is very satisfied (barefooter). Call ACME and they will suggets you.

You think you overpaid!! :Doh: Trust me you didn't! I happen to see one exacly the same boat colors and all, but LX at a tournament this weekend. It had NO option, No trailer and was in OK condition, nothing more and it was just sold for 20 500$CDN.

You live in Canada in case you forgot, so 16K$CDN with trailer is SUPER GOOD deal! Yes.gif

It is identical to the one I owned for 4 years!...sold mine 29K$ in 2006 without the trailer.

Shocking.gif Seriously? You sold a four year old Sportster for $29K? That's gotta be a typo. I bought a one year old open bow w/ 26 hours on it for $20K.

$14K seems like a fair price. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $17K for mine. It's an open bow, has a bimini, skylon pole, 4 board rack, and is a year newer (though it does have more hours on it).

Congrats. That's a good looking boat. Thumbup.gif Go with a 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge CNC'd 3 blade from Skier-To-Skier. Great service and prices. I got mine with a prop puller kit for $400 delivered to my door.

It is identical to the one I owned for 4 years!...sold mine 29K$ in 2006 without the trailer.

Shocking.gif Seriously? You sold a four year old Sportster for $29K? That's gotta be a typo. I bought a one year old open bow w/ 26 hours on it for $20K.

$14K seems like a fair price. I'm hoping to get somewhere around $17K for mine. It's an open bow, has a bimini, skylon pole, 4 board rack, and is a year newer (though it does have more hours on it).

Congrats. That's a good looking boat. Thumbup.gif Go with a 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge CNC'd 3 blade from Skier-To-Skier. Great service and prices. I got mine with a prop puller kit for $400 delivered to my door.

that sounds perfect

what size shaft and any other specifics I need to know before I place an order?

also, what is the rotation? LH?

what size shaft and any other specifics I need to know before I place an order?

also, what is the rotation? LH?

1 1/8" tapered shaft, L/H

When you order you'll give them the specifics of your boat and they'll double check the specifics for you. What you might want to do is run the prop that is on there to get an idea of what you want to change (ie more holeshot, better speed holding,...) then e-mail Max at Skier To Skier with the specifics of what you have and what you want to accomplish and he'll make recommendations. You'll want to know diameter and pitch of existing prop, RPM's at your skiing speed, speed at WOT and RPM's at WOT.

Enjoy your Sporty, they're fun boats.

He's not Joking.. Not a typo either... Sporty 1 Sporty 2 Heres a couple for sale in the Calgary Area.. I don't think you over paid...

both those boats have been for sale for a while though.... mind you I'm not travelling to Calgary for a boat, but they are way over priced and will NOT sell them for those prices IMO... I've been looking for months and have watched sportster sell or not sell during this time...

also the used boat market in Canada has taken a huge hit because of the dollar and abundance of boats south of the border. good luck to them, but they are way over market prices... unless they find a buyer who has no idea they sell for much less south of the border, and has no idea how easy it is to import...

I would have paid more too, and I already have 3+ hrs on it in 1 day :)

You have to remember that just a few years ago, 1 CDN$ was worth only around 0,70 US$. Plus Canadian dealers sell the boats at a higher price because the pay surplus in shipping and make a bigger profit in order to compensate for the low volume. A Sportster with trailer sold for over 40K$ in 2005 as an example. Also, in Canada we do not put as much ours on our boats because of the wheater. So basically, when you buy a Canadian boat that has 4 seasons, it will probably have the same wear and tear as a 2 season boat from California. Therefore keeping a better re-sale value.

However, now that the US and CDN$ is practically at par, the used market has gone way down. I spoke with my ex-dealer regarding a part replacement on waranty and he told me that he has pratcically not sold any used boats this year. People are now going to the US now where their CDN$ is now worth something.

Thats my .02 CDN$...

Also, in Quebec, because most of the population speaks French, some are not comfortable doing business in the US... this helps in keeping the used market prices up.

Our local dealer does not have a single VLX left... He has sold a ton of Used Boats this year with the dolloar being where it is at.. Just have to be competetive....

Works both ways though, I have heard of some people actually getting what they paid in return a few years later when trading it in for a new one.

My 99 Sportster was bought for 31k$ in 1998, was sold to the second owner for 31k$ in 1999, I bought it for 28 900K$ in 2002 and sold it 29 400$ in 2006. It was still showroom clean, but still! This was due to the fact that these boats were rare and the prices for new ones were going higher and higher. Plus the CDN$ was worth practically nothing then...

I had a similar story with my Echelon.. I paid 26K in 2003 for it and sold it last year for 25K.. I added a few things like the tower, racks and shower and I also upgraded the stereo (had the factory Malibu Tape player and speakers) But I did well in my opinion but I kept it very clean as well...

I knoe I would happily pay more for a boat knowing it was taken care of..