Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

calibrate new stargazer

Hello,

Just installed my new stargazer upgrade. I wondering how I go about calibrating it for slalom rpm baselines?

The manual that came with it only shows how to calibrate it with a ski course.

I don't have magnets or a timer.

The perfectpass has the GPS and RPM connected to it, thats all. I do have a paddle wheel but its not

connected to the master module. (The paddlewheel came stock with boat but don't know how to connect it,

besides, I shouldnt' need it now that I have GPS)

The online manual says you *can* calibrate it without a ski course, and that you can create a "virtual course".

But this doesn't work for me. Bascially, it says goto calibrate mode in slalom, select speed, drive boat up to speed

and let it lock in, then hit the up arrow to start a timer, then after about 17 seconds its supposed to stop.

Then you stop the boat and goto the save calibration menu. But for me, pressing the up key after locking

in the boat speed doesn't start a timer. It does nothing, so no virtual course is created.

There were baselines already set when I look at them for each speed. Is this done automatically for my boat?

It appears I can change them, but should I?

Perfect pass will be closed tomorrow for a holiday, so I can't contact them until the end of the week so I thought I

would try here.

I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Did you have the system set to One Magnet Timing. I know I set mine up at first without our course being set up, but I think I used my hand timer to start the timer. You should also be able to use the Wakeboard mode without any calibration.

Edited by onamission

What version do you have? I have 7.0.0.4 and the 'Up Arrow' virtual course didn't work for me either. I did have the system set to 'One Magnet'.

I ended up having to manually drive each speed without engaging & then modifying the baseline for each speed to match. The baselines that it came with were off by quite a bit for my boat/prop.

The other thing is that Stargazer will run about .4 MPH fast if the timer isn't activated. It approaches the course a little over speed to compensate for the first pull for the gates. You can fix that for open water skiing by going to GPS PRACTICE mode and setting the offset to .4 (Down Arrow when 'SLALOM' is highlighted on the pick event list).

What version do you have? I have 7.0.0.4 and the 'Up Arrow' virtual course didn't work for me either. I did have the system set to 'One Magnet'.

I ended up having to manually drive each speed without engaging & then modifying the baseline for each speed to match. The baselines that it came with were off by quite a bit for my boat/prop.

The other thing is that Stargazer will run about .4 MPH fast if the timer isn't activated. It approaches the course a little over speed to compensate for the first pull for the gates. You can fix that for open water skiing by going to GPS PRACTICE mode and setting the offset to .4 (Down Arrow when 'SLALOM' is highlighted on the pick event list).

My version is 7.0.0.5, and had the one magnet set too.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try that too.

I guess I'll hunt down a hand timer, and run through our ski course and see how accurate the times are with the default

baselines. If its within normal times, that will be good enough for me.

There was another post here on how to do this, I will search later, and post the link, but there is a jpg file with the instructions for 7.0.4

BB

http://www.thewaterskiforum.com/cgi-bin/bb...ames;read=44664

and the text so you don't need to look somewhere else:

Phil,

Just installed my new StarGAZER. The calibrating without a course method that you mention is now obsolete and did not work. The new method without a course is to use the CAPTURE mode (was not documented in the manual I received). I just got this information from PerfectPass today:

1. Go to the Slalom calibrate mode and choose your set point.

2. Press the "Menu" key until you highlight SLALOM on the top of your screen, press the "^" key and you will see a menu pop up. The word TIMED will be highlighted, press the "^" key and it will change to the word CAPTURED, now press the "Menu" key until you go back to the main Slalom mode.

2. Now throttle up, engage the system and let it settle into your set point (34.2 Mph).

3. Now press the "Menu" key until you highlight "Capture RPM" and press the "^" key you will hear two beeps. You have now calibrated this set point and can calibrate the other set points.

One other important point that was reiterated to me for using the system without a course: do not have the Smart Timer connected as it may false trigger and think you are calibrating with a course. I had that connected and it was really confusing me and made me think the on-the-fly virtual course was working, but not correctly.

I also learned a lot about something call "rollback" that causes some surging when accelerating slowly and cruising at about 20 mph with the system on (but not engaged). There is also sort of a "reverse rollback" where you disengage the system slowly to 20 mph, but get some acceleration surge. Basically, it works better if you accelerate fully, firmly and smoothly to the setpoint and decelerate fully and firmly to a near stop or very low mph. Any partial or slow throttle adjustments are subject to those rollback or surging behaviors, especially around the 20 mph range. Basically it expects you to nail it and pull it back down rather quickly for a pass. Some driving practice is required. Many of you probably already know this, especially if you're pulling wakeboarders with lots of ballast. It's more of an issue there.

Edited by bb01760
That's for 7.0.05. The 7.0.04 does not have the capture mode - that would make it much easier.

from : http://www.thewaterskiforum.com/cgi-bin/bb...ames;read=43693

GPS must be doing something in Cal mode as it says "A Virtual Course was created."

From Page 6 of the manual:-

Calibrating Slalom Speeds Without a Course

You can calibrate the System without a course by following the following steps:

1. Set Timing Method as “One Magnet” (Highlight slalom & press up key. Change Multi Magnet to One Magnet)

2. Set desired speed and throttle up until system engages.

3. After boat speed settles, press the Up Key on the fly to start Timer. (You will see timer activated on screen)

4. After about 17 seconds, you will see Timer stop and the full course time will be on screen. (A virtual course was

created). Stop boat and follow the Calibrate Procedure in manual. (Highlight Menu Arrow in upper right hand

corner and press down key. Then press Up Key to perform Calibration).

The timer never would start for me - I did follow the steps above. I also called PP while on the lake & they walked me through setting baselines manually. I truly wish either of the calibration methods above worked for me.

They have been great to work with for tech support, but I really wish the documentation for installation & calibration matched the specific system they sent me & the parts for the Monsoon throttle.

1. Go to the Slalom calibrate mode and choose your set point.

2. Press the "Menu" key until you highlight SLALOM on the top of your screen, press the "^" key and you will see a menu pop up. The word TIMED will be highlighted, press the "^" key and it will change to the word CAPTURED, now press the "Menu" key until you go back to the main Slalom mode.

2. Now throttle up, engage the system and let it settle into your set point (34.2 Mph).

3. Now press the "Menu" key until you highlight "Capture RPM" and press the "^" key you will hear two beeps. You have now calibrated this set point and can calibrate the other set points.

Excellent, I will try this the next time I head out to the lake.

Thanks!

Is it true that during CAL slalom mode, the GPS isn't used?

I wonder because, I don't have my paddlewheel hooked up. So, if I'm trying to calibrate the speed at say, 34.2 mph, and

I drive the boat up to that speed, but it never quite gets to that speed, what do I do?

I'm guessing the paddlewheel or gps is used to let the boat settle into the 34.2 mph, and then hitting the calibrate mode

should capture the rpm.

But if I can't get the boat to settle in at 34.2, then what?

Can I knock down the rpms's on the fly while I'm trying to get it settle before I capture it?

Thanks

It's a question best asked of the PP Tech Support.

My understanding is that CAL SLALOM will hold the baseline RPM - looking for the timer & times to set the baselines correctly.

Perhaps when you change to 'capture mode' from 'timed mode' calibration, it will allow it to settle & get the baseline correctly.

Not sure how you'd knock down the RPMS on the fly in cal mode.

I do know that it will run about .4 MPH fast until the timer is started (and the pull from the skier slows the boat to target speed). The baseline RPM is really just the first target for SG to shoot for. It will quickly adjust away from the baseline to reflect the input the GPS is giving it. SG is really geared towards course skiing (with magnets) only. You can use GPS Practice mode to compensate for the extra .4 MPH if you want to use it for free skiing.

You can use the Light setting to lower the pre gate speed or it can also be adjusted by pressing the on/off and up button together. I set mine a little lower then what it can set with and I'm running about +.2mph before the gates and now my times are almost dead on.

I do know that it will run about .4 MPH fast until the timer is started (and the pull from the skier slows the boat to target speed). The baseline RPM is really just the first target for SG to shoot for. It will quickly adjust away from the baseline to reflect the input the GPS is giving it. SG is really geared towards course skiing (with magnets) only. You can use GPS Practice mode to compensate for the extra .4 MPH if you want to use it for free skiing.

So, are you saying that if I run in normal gps Slalom mode, and dont' have magnets or timer, I'll always be about .4 mph fast through

the entire course? (Becasue SG is waiting for the first entrance gate to trigger the timer, since none exists, it stays at .4 mph above set speed)

So, are you saying that if I run in normal gps Slalom mode, and dont' have magnets or timer, I'll always be about .4 mph fast through

the entire course? (Becasue SG is waiting for the first entrance gate to trigger the timer, since none exists, it stays at .4 mph above set speed)

Just heard from Perfect Pass. Just like weirndog said.

Hi,

You are right if you don't initiate the timing the system will hold what is

called the "PreGate" speed, which is a little over the set speed. This is

in preparation for the pull through the gate to Ball 1. To eliminate this

you can press the ON/OFF and UP keys at the same time at set the PreGate to

0, or go to GPS Practice mode and set a -0.4 or -0.5 (depending on the set

speed and the type of system you have).

This should work for me and I'll adjust the pregate speed down to 0, since I dont' have magnets.

Thanks again to all.

• 2 years later...

I realize this thread is very old, but I have a related question. I just purchased and installed StarGazer (version 7.0.62, I think). If I use Wakeboard mode or RPM mode, the system holds my speed very accurately. However, I have been trying to use the Slalom Calibration mode without a course ("capture" setting), and haven't been having any success. Basically, the system engages, but never settles on the chosen speed. Instead, it overcompensates in both directions, so I am usually running about .5 MPH above or below the set speed. Does anyone have experience using the Cal Slalom using the capture setting? Maybe that's just how it is, or maybe I need to change some other setting to get it to work properly.

The more accurately you can hand drive to the target speed, the easier it will be for the servo to lock. I'd need to check my version, but I didn't have a problem capturing, though it did take a while to settle.

It was a catch-22 a bit in that it settled much faster a second time thru once I set the baselines 'close' by watching the RPMs/tach when driving at the desired speed.