Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Pylon

BigStig

Being a new Malibu owner and new to wakeboarding I am already obsessed with becoming better at my new hobby. I have a 97 Response LX and have been evaluating the addition of a tower or wakeboard pylon, my attraction of the pylon is obviously price, any thoughts out there in terms of performance for wakeboarding, is a tower that much better then a pylon extension or is it a wash. Any recomendations for a wakeboarding pylon.

Thanks

I ran an extended pylon on my Supra comp for a few (4-5) years before upgrading to the Bu. It works as far as raising the attachment point for a better pull. Adding a sack helped as much by enhancing the wake characteristics. It was a small boat with a slalom wake, so with both the pylon and sack I learned to get air. I thought about adding a tower but decided on a bigger wake specific boat for the family on a big lake. I had no complaints about the effectiveness of the pylon, but the support cable is a decapitator if you're not paying attention. Not to mention a PITA when covering the boat.

Others will chime in with opinions too. Pylon = short money. Tower = more robust, more options for accessories, etc.

How long do you plan to keep the Response? Will the tower enhance resale in your area?

And welcome aboard. Welcome.gif

IMO invest in a tower...they are not very expensive these days and will work a lot better. the pylon will cause the boat to lean a good bit when a rider cuts out hard (this is a b**** because you have to compensate in steering and throttle b/c the paddle wheel gets lifted a bit). also either one you get you should invest in a rack to keep the boards out of the boat. with a tower you also have the option to keep adding accessories...with a pylon you are limited in what you can add. so my vote goes for the tower. BUT if you are thinkin a pylon I your route let me know...I am selling one with a rack and a bimini that's custom made for the pylon to go through.

I ran an extended pylon on my MC 205 for the first year & had it, then bought an Ichor tower. A tower really adds a whole new dimension to your boat. The high tow point, place to mount speakers, racks, lights, etc. Plus you can stand up while under way, hold on to the tower while it's at a dock, or getting in & out of the boat, using it as a jungle gym, etc.

We do a lot of tricks out in the flats, and a pylon has almost no support for that so it would make the pylon seriously lean over.

Also, get one of the pylons that have the cable to the bow. The ones with the strap have a lot of flex in them. We just had a guy here on Liberty, he's using an AirBoom extended pylon with the bow strap. He was complaining about the handle flying up into the boat occasionally, and thinking about using a shock tube. We looked at the pylon while he was riding & saw maybe an inch or two of movement. So we replaced it with a cable, hey, no more flex, no more handle flying up in the boat.

When you do get a tower, study up on how it's best installed, sturdiest models, etc. I prefer the tower feet mounted to the top deck (if their on the side, they have a tendancy to hit docks or other boats as waves go by). Titan builds just about the sturdiest tower under the sun.