Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Invest or Upgrade?

Flying Fikes

We have a 2003 Wakesetter with a floating wedge, stock center ballast and it actually throws a good wake. It is a direct drive, so not quite as good as a vdrive, but also does not have perfect pass or tower speakers etc. Family of 6 (four kids 6-11), and now 5 of us are competing in INT wakeboarding....son won US Champ last yr in Junior entro (proud dad plug), but now the whole family is really enjoying the sport. We absolutely need perfect pass (now my wife and I both understand all the complaining he has been doing about boat speed), and also need some tunes up top...stargazer and a decent system will cost $4k. Boat has 375 hrs (25 when we got it 3 summers ago)...I was a skier, so got dd for dual uses. Now all wakeboarding. Our boat is in absolutely fantastic condition, we love it, has a wake hull...so we are at a crossroads on whether to spend the $4K, OR upgrade and look for a 23lsv....?? Could use the room, but the cost is so high.....I want to spend the $4k and add a fatsac in the back ski compartment, the rest of the Fikes want a LSV...keep hearing how much better it would be (wake) but having a hard time w the decision? Help.....I am outnumbered!

keep what you have, and start saving for the kids education...

Overrated Crazy.gif Actually he's got a great idea. I retract my original upgrade statement.

Keep the boat as used boat sales are very hard to sell at this time. Spend the $$ on the boat (especially if it's paid off) and save the rest for gas money and other boat items. PP will help w/ the driving and the complaints. If they want a bigger wake tell them to work on their technique.... :)

Do what will keep the family happy together. There is only a short window of time where the kids are all together with you. If they are all seriously involved with wakeboarding, then I would get the boat that they will all enjoy with you, and that sounds like it is a wakeboard specific boat. My first love is probably still slalom skiing, but I have a boat that is not so good for that, but is awesome for wakeboarding. That's what I do for now, because that is what the kids want to do. They are all just about gone now, and these years we've had with the boats has been priceless. I only regret that I didn't spring for a Malibu sooner than I did. It didn't make sense from a financial standpoint then, and it still doesn't now, but that isn't what it's all about.

Do what will keep the family happy together. There is only a short window of time where the kids are all together with you. If they are all seriously involved with wakeboarding, then I would get the boat that they will all enjoy with you, and that sounds like it is a wakeboard specific boat. My first love is probably still slalom skiing, but I have a boat that is not so good for that, but is awesome for wakeboarding. That's what I do for now, because that is what the kids want to do. They are all just about gone now, and these years we've had with the boats has been priceless. I only regret that I didn't spring for a Malibu sooner than I did. It didn't make sense from a financial standpoint then, and it still doesn't now, but that isn't what it's all about.

Also a good point, I switch my vote back to get the new boat. Rockon.gif

If it will fit on the budget do it, if it is going to possibly reduce the boat usage being your loan is crunching the wallet don't do it.

Jason

I say if the wallet can handle it, go for a V-drive. Time with family is a precious commodity. Especially with kids getting older and finding other interests. (cars, girls/boys, going off to college....)

It IS STILL family time if your kids invite friends to go out with you. (part of my own parenting plan-not so sneekily keeping tabs on who her friends are... )

BTW I had a SSLXI (direct drive) that I put a tower, perfect pass, and plenty of other creature comforts onto that I sold for our current '04 VLX. I have never looked back.

Good luck.

Patrick

(if you were looking for us to help you save money.... well, we have a reputation for spending others' money....) :blush:

If it will fit on the budget do it, if it is going to possibly reduce the boat usage being your loan is crunching the wallet don't do it.

Jason

Great comments....think my only question is will a vdrive make that big a difference in the wake? Mine has a v23 wake hull, the 23lsv's have a v25wake hull.

Can anyone attest to the difference?

Thanks

What will the difference be in the wake between a 21wakesetter dd and a 23lsv?

Why the 23? The 21.5 VLX is a big boat and will have plenty of room for your family of 6. The first time you have your family out in a v-drive you will be amazed at how much more room you have. Even the 21ft VTX will seem much larger and roomier then your 21 DD. Not saying there is anything wrong with the 23, just that any v-drive will be able to offer you more room and a larger wake.

I don't know how you are sacking out your DD but if you are just doing stock (500lb front + wedge) and you go to a v-drive boat with 1250 in ballast, + wedge, + engine in the back, you are going to get a much larger wake!

vdrive will ultimately put out a bigger wake, but your dd will take you pretty far. A good friend of mine competed and won in INT advanced and he regularly rides behind a lightly weighted Moomba dd.

What will the difference be in the wake between a 21wakesetter dd and a 23lsv?

Huge.

And I have to vote with those above. Do everything you can to enjoy the family time today. I'm trying to learn to do that as I speak.

Peter

Jason

I agree, if your going to be spending a ton of time in the boat with 6+ people (and the kids are growing) your going to need the room of a VD. Also if your on a budget start looking for a lightly used 06-07 VLX also try to find one with the front ballast and power wedge.

If you do decide to just upgrade drop me a PM with your wish list and I'll let you know how to save some $$

need some tunes up top...stargazer and a decent system will cost $4k. Boat has 375 hrs (25 when we got it 3 summers ago)...I was a skier, so got dd for dual uses. Now all wakeboarding. Our boat is in absolutely fantastic condition, we love it, has a wake hull...so we are at a crossroads on whether to spend the $4K, OR upgrade and look for a 23lsv....??

Adding a speed control system to your boat will only increase its value plus Perfect Pass or Stargazer are better than Malibu Cruise. Rather than annoy everyone on the lake, just get a couple waterproof MP3 players for the kids. With the added weight of either boat you are considering you have to think about the additional gas you will be burning in the boat and in your tow vehicle. Does your current tow vehicle have the capacity to tow a bigger boat? I'll also bet you are spending a fortune on boards, vests, helmets and other gear non-stop. Add it all up because it could turn on you and get too expensive quickly. "A bird in hand is better than two in bush."

keep what you have, and start saving for the kids education...

Plus1.gif

It would be interesting to know the value of add on's vs. buying another boat with all the items already included. Which depreciates quicker?

I know around here there have been some really good deals on used vdrives in the '04-'05 range. Not knowing your boat's total options or condition, I would think you could find something to fit the bill 5-6k more than your current boat if you stay with 21'.

An '05 Vride (04 VLX hull) might be an option which I've seen in the low to mid 30's in a few places.

Or if the budget can swing it, a '09 23 lsv would be mighty nice as well! Thumbup.gif

I couldn't agree more - time is too short so if the budget allows, do it now!

As to the wake difference - it will be huge! People talk about this guy or that doing amazing things off a mediocre wake but from my experience that's not the ideal. For example, learning an invert can be punishing with a great wake. A mediocre wake leaves little room for error. My VLX with full ballast gives me a bit of extra time so mistakes aren't as punishing. We have a place at the lake, so for us the 21 foot v-drive makes sense for my family of six. If I were trailering, I'd look at the 23 because the extra room makes sense when you're out there all day.

I'd say if the fam needs a V-drive, then go for it. But, that doesn't mean they need an '09. I agree with Wakeup, you can probably net out ok by selling yours and upping to a nice used '04 / '05 for maybe a bit more than the cost of the upgrades. Bling aside, I have to think you'd be getting more than 90% of the performance / wake advantage compared to a new one, but at a more reasonable price.

...Soap box on: Definitely not saying this is your situation, but any kids that would require the new one in order to have family time may not have been tought to appreciate the value of money and the hard work and sacrifices that go into providing a nice lifestyle. Soap box off...

Good luck and congrats on having raised such a great family of competitors! I would be thrilled to be in that situation a few years down the line.

I say throw the boat up for sale, see if it sells, and in the mean time buy some V drive bags for your current boat. When you do find your V drive, trade them over to your new boat.