Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom ski boot on a trick ski

jetskipro550

I have been using a single trick ski more and more and I would like to upgrade the front boot to something more supportive. There really isn't much out there as far as trick ski boots go so I was wondering if I could mount a slalom ski boot and if it would work the same way?

I am looking for a boot that would be comparable to a wakeboard binding with either wraps, laces, etc...

TIA

You sure you want your front foot securely attached to the stick when your back foot isn't? Sounds like a recipe for a blown ACL to me. Voice of experience...that hurts!! A lot!!

You sure you want your front foot securely attached to the stick when your back foot isn't? Sounds like a recipe for a blown ACL to me. Voice of experience...that hurts!! A lot!!

I think so, but not totally sure. From what I have seen, lots of the tricks involve your rear foot being out.

I have a D3 Driver binding on my trick ski. Has reasonable support. If you're really getting serious, a hardshell is always an option (expensive though).

I just got a Ski Tec hardshell for mine. It was highly recommended for helping kids get started and while I was ordering one for my son I picked up one for me.

Here it is:

http://www.reflexworld.com/2006/SKITEC/product.htm

So far I like it a lot it gives great support, releases from the ski and is very comfortable. I am thinking about ordering a different plate and trying it out on my slalom.

I ordered it through Bennett's and they had good pricing for it.

That said almost any binding will work for a trick ski. I skied for years on a binding that looks a lot like a Wileys and Wileys does make a trick wrap. A Venom would work as well. I haven't skied in an Animal so I can't comment on those.

You don't get the torque on the ski in general that you do with a slalom ski but the binding will still come off. Your back foot definitely will come out of the ski as well.

It is good to see some trick ski conversation here. I am enjoying getting back into the trick and my 9 year old is having a blast with his.

Edited by Chef23

I use an Animal binding on my trick ski. Provides good support, though I'm a recreational tricker. I will likely upgrade (my opinion only) to a Wiley's trick wrap. I love their bindings in terms of comfort and support.

I've seen Anaimals on trick skis. Consdiered it for my sons tricker but ended up getting a Probuild from Wileys

I've seen Anaimals on trick skis. Consdiered it for my sons tricker but ended up getting a Probuild from Wileys

I just got a Ski Tec hardshell for mine. It was highly recommended for helping kids get started and while I was ordering one for my son I picked up one for me.

Here it is:

http://www.reflexworld.com/2006/SKITEC/product.htm

So far I like it a lot it gives great support, releases from the ski and is very comfortable. I am thinking about ordering a different plate and trying it out on my slalom.

That said almost any binding will work for a trick ski. I skied for years on a binding that looks a lot like a Wileys and Wileys does make a trick wrap. A Venom would work as well. I haven't skied in an Animal so I can't comment on those.

You don't get the torque on the ski in general that you do with a slalom ski but the binding will still come off. Your back foot definitely will come out of the ski as well.

It is good to see some trick ski conversation here. I am enjoying getting back into the trick and my 9 year old is having a blast with his.

Chef-

I'm skiing on a Reflex on my slalom. Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to answer any if they would help.

SF

Here it is:

<a href="http://"http://www.reflexworld.com/2006/SKITEC/product.htm"" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.reflexworld.com/2006/SKITEC/product.htm" target="_blank">http://www.reflexworld.com/2006/SKITEC/product.htm</a></a>

Chef-

I'm skiing on a Reflex on my slalom. Let me know if you have any questions, be glad to answer any if they would help.

SF

Did you have any issues going to the hardshell on the slalom. I have always skied on Wileys type of bindings but I am intrigued by the comfort and convenience of the hardshell.

I am definitely going to get a plate for my kids ski. Their biggest complaint is the comfort of the binding and this will eliminate that complaint.

Thanks

any mid range slalom boot would work for sure. wouldnt want to use an approach or anything like that though. but there is a reason why 8 out of 10 trickers who use rubber bindings have wileys on their skis... cause they are the best.

i know 6000+ point trickers who use wiley pro (double wrap jump bindings) and consider them stiffer and more supportive than hardshells. (but putting your foot in double wraps is almost self torture)

i have a single wrap on my trick. its that stiff and tight i have to put lube in it to get out of the damn thing. its a large and my foot is a skinny size 11.

Edited by Toby

So short answer is YES, you can use pretty much any binding on a slalom trick. The speeds are so low that you are not very likely to blow out a knee while tricking. The animal has such a tall footbed I'm not sure how I'd like it on a trick. I have a few in the shed I may try.

jetskipro, what size binding are you looking for?

Chef-

SF

Did you have any issues going to the hardshell on the slalom. I have always skied on Wileys type of bindings but I am intrigued by the comfort and convenience of the hardshell.

I am definitely going to get a plate for my kids ski. Their biggest complaint is the comfort of the binding and this will eliminate that complaint.

Thanks

JSP - Sorry for the minor hijack, please let me know if you would prefer a new thread for some of this slightly off topic stuff on the hardshells.

Chef-

I have been on hardshells for 3 summers now. I have skied Powershells, Fluid Motion and now I am on Reflex. I like the Reflex the most so far. There was a little adjustment to the hardshells but not much. Mostly I find them to initiate an edge a little quicker, with less foot movement. I have not had any bad crashes yet in the Reflex so I can't comment on the release yet. I can say that they have stayed on when they should stay on. Remi at Reflex has been very good do deal with.

SF

P.S. - Another minor hijack, what is the correct way to edit out some of the previously dialogue? I obviously am doing it incorrectly.

Edited by Slalom Frog
HO Venom would work well if you don't like the Wiley's wrap. My buddy has one of those on his Goodman trick.

Weird, I think I saw my ski in the garage this am!

So short answer is YES, you can use pretty much any binding on a slalom trick. The speeds are so low that you are not very likely to blow out a knee while tricking. The animal has such a tall footbed I'm not sure how I'd like it on a trick. I have a few in the shed I may try.

jetskipro, what size binding are you looking for?

I wear a 10.5-11 but I like my bindings tight.