Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slingshot Recoil

obski

I thought I would share my recent demos of some new boards. After I was at The Boarding School for a week, they recommended that I get a new board as mine was getting dated. It was a 2005 Clutch, but I guess there is all kinds of new technology being incorporated into the boards. I used an 08 Murray at the camp, but never felt comfortable on it. When we got back I tried a Lyman and a Slingshot Recoil, both with some skepticism as I wasn't completely convinced that I needed a new board.

I found the Lyman to be a lot of fun. It is a really fast board with some serious pop off of the wake. It is really loose and is great for surface tricks. While I really liked it, I also felt like I never could 'tame' it. I was inconsistent off of the wake. One time I'd get a good clean pop and landing and the next I would get a huge out of control pop and land on my back out in the flats. The landing were softer than my old board, but not nearly as soft as the Recoil.

The Recoil was also fun, but under much more control than the Lyman. I found it to be very consistent for me. It's not the rocket ship that the Lyman is, but that is just fine with me. The landings are way softer than any board I have ever been on. The combination of the consistency and very soft landings are what convinced me to buy the board, which I did this weekend. As I am getting older and I have seen those around me mess up their knees of backs on hard landings, I decided I needed to do what I can to prevent an injury. One of my regular crew hurt her knee just casing the wake on a simple heelside wake jump. She landed with her legs extended, but her unforgiving board I feel contributed to the injury. We had just been talking about her trying out one of the Slingshot boards like the Pink Pearl to get softer landings. She has an MRI scheduled for Thursday.

The real key is to demo different boards to find what best fits you and your style of riding. I am now a believer in the Slingshot boards though.

I thought I would share my recent demos of some new boards. After I was at The Boarding School for a week, they recommended that I get a new board as mine was getting dated. It was a 2005 Clutch, but I guess there is all kinds of new technology being incorporated into the boards. I used an 08 Murray at the camp, but never felt comfortable on it. When we got back I tried a Lyman and a Slingshot Recoil, both with some skepticism as I wasn't completely convinced that I needed a new board.

I found the Lyman to be a lot of fun. It is a really fast board with some serious pop off of the wake. It is really loose and is great for surface tricks. While I really liked it, I also felt like I never could 'tame' it. I was inconsistent off of the wake. One time I'd get a good clean pop and landing and the next I would get a huge out of control pop and land on my back out in the flats. The landing were softer than my old board, but not nearly as soft as the Recoil.

The Recoil was also fun, but under much more control than the Lyman. I found it to be very consistent for me. It's not the rocket ship that the Lyman is, but that is just fine with me. The landings are way softer than any board I have ever been on. The combination of the consistency and very soft landings are what convinced me to buy the board, which I did this weekend. As I am getting older and I have seen those around me mess up their knees of backs on hard landings, I decided I needed to do what I can to prevent an injury. One of my regular crew hurt her knee just casing the wake on a simple heelside wake jump. She landed with her legs extended, but her unforgiving board I feel contributed to the injury. We had just been talking about her trying out one of the Slingshot boards like the Pink Pearl to get softer landings. She has an MRI scheduled for Thursday.

The real key is to demo different boards to find what best fits you and your style of riding. I am now a believer in the Slingshot boards though.

Excellent write up, it is nice to see some of these board reviews!

Enjoy your recoil... I enjoyed the one I rode for a while.

I also tried out some different boards this last weekend, stewart had some old boards laying around that he let me take out and try.

I also tried out some different boards this last weekend, stewart had some old boards laying around that he let me take out and try.

You should try out some new boards. I was skeptical that a new board would make a difference, but I am a believer now. I would liken it to snow skis. I had some skis that I had had for a few years (OK, so quite a few years) and they still worked and were in decent shape so I couldn't justify new skis. Well I finally demoed some after hearing about these 'shaped skis', and darn if I couldn't ski a whole lot better on them. My ski buddy had to go out and get some after I was skiing better than he was - and he is a better skier. I bought another set of skis a few years ago and they are even better and more fun. It's probably time for some new skis as well. The point is that the new shapes and technology do make a difference, so try them out.

You should try out some new boards. I was skeptical that a new board would make a difference, but I am a believer now. I would liken it to snow skis. I had some skis that I had had for a few years (OK, so quite a few years) and they still worked and were in decent shape so I couldn't justify new skis. Well I finally demoed some after hearing about these 'shaped skis', and darn if I couldn't ski a whole lot better on them. My ski buddy had to go out and get some after I was skiing better than he was - and he is a better skier. I bought another set of skis a few years ago and they are even better and more fun. It's probably time for some new skis as well. The point is that the new shapes and technology do make a difference, so try them out.

I'm also a long time snow skier, I totally agree with what your saying. I was riding on a 136 Factor (CWB) which has a 170lbs limit, I didn't think I was going to get into boarding so much and enjoying it the way I have. I'm going to keep testing newer boards but I needed something bigger for now.

Edited by 68Slalom