Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Neutral Safety Switch - '00 RLX

Looking at the clymers Indmar book, it says that some Indmar models have 1, some have 2 switches, one at the transmission, and then one at the throttle. Anyone know if mine has the one at the throttle too? I have cleaned and retighted the wires at the transmission, but I am still getting intermittent problems (nothing when turning the key). I have kept my old remote starter on the boat so that I can jump the starter when it happens. I plan on ordering a new neutral safety switch today, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something at the throttle first.

thanks,

John

The lock out in the throttle is just the button thats allows you to move the throttle without the boat being in gear. If the gauges are working and the motor not starting try backing out the trans safety out about a 1/4 turn. If the gauges are not working take a look at the emergency stop switch, mine has been a problem on the last 3 boats.

Agree with above. Check your tether from the backside. That's the most frequent cause of a dead ignition. The wires on the older boats can come loose rather easily.

Edited by UWSkier

You can do a continuity check on the trans mounted nuetral safety switch to be sure if that is whats causing your problem. I pull my kill switch at the end of the season to give the engine a quick crank after fogging it and leave it out till spring. A couple of years ago, a spider layed her eggs in the switch, and it would not make contact after putting the lanyard back in. Went nuts troubleshooting that one.

The lock out in the throttle is just the button thats allows you to move the throttle without the boat being in gear. If the gauges are working and the motor not starting try backing out the trans safety out about a 1/4 turn. If the gauges are not working take a look at the emergency stop switch, mine has been a problem on the last 3 boats.

actually, i was not talking about the lockout on the throttle, but some boats actually have an electronic safety switch in the Morse MV2 control (if you have clymers indmar manual, read page 42 for an explanation and how to test that. also page 439 has a diagram, and the part (#35) is referred to there as neutral start switch).

After doing some testing this afternoon, I am 99% sure my problem is the switch on the transmission itself. If i attach those 2 wires together, the boat started every time. I suspect that if I pull the switch off, there is some type of corrosion in the switch itself, damn salt water/air...