Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is my boat???

mrtweeter

I purchased a wrecked 21' 99 wakesetter (hit by a car) and it is a direct drive . Is it a LS LSi or some other letters, I have a salvaged title for it and all it says is wakesetter. I have had it 2 years now rebuilt front end and it works great! but I see everone posting there models and I can't post mine.

Thanks

It is a Wakesetter FBT. (stands for Frankenboat. That damage is horrific)

Well I have it floating now! Took it out yesterday my steering cable went bad... seems to be an easy fix from reading all the info on this great site!

How in the world did you fix that, and maybe why? Hopefully you got a smoking deal. And where are the picks of it after the repair? I definitely want to see those. Sorry I don't have a clue about WS but way curious about your boat.

It took alot of itching and scratching (fibreglass work). I will post some pics I have to dig them up. The motor is a Monsoon 325. Only had 275 hrs on it, Seems to run solid no problems yet, I have to take it in the get a real paint job on it. Not brave enought to attemp that. I have over 150 hours myself on the motor now, NO LEAKS! tracks great in the water

, Kicks my old bayliners arse with the wake it throws! paid $5000.00 for boat another $600 for fibreglass and resin. So I am into it $5600.00 (almost the cost of my last tank of gas). here is a little bigger pic of the damage Cry.gif

boat1.jpg

boat4.jpg

Almost complete pics

100_7311.jpg

100_7310.jpg

Edited by mrtweeter

I edited my post with new pics. And thanks for the info, the trailer did say sunsetter on it... Helps me out... thanks

That is a Sunsetter w/ the Wakesetter package.

$5600 isn't too bad for a bu' I want some after pictures though! I edited my post with new pics.

-Chris

Edited by mrtweeter

So you're pretty good with fiberglass!!! Nice work, highly doubt I would've taken on a project like that. Congrats.

Impressed with the fix on that boat. Just curious, did you use the bow off of a donor boat and mate it to your boat? If not, do tell how you fixed that? Also, do you do fiberglass work for a living?

Great job at fixing her up and sure you will get way more out of it then you put in. I think its great that you had the time to finish this kind of project, I for one wouldn't have taken this on. You have mad FG skills for sure.

That's actually just a 1999 Malibu Wakesetter LX. That year they offered the Wakesetter LX and the Wakesetter VLX. The LX was a direct drive, the VLX was a vdrive, and they were based off of the Sunsetter LX and Sunsetter VLX, respectively (which is why the trailer says Sunsetter on it).

Great job on the repair! I'm assuming the car took the nose clean off in the accident?

Impressed with the fix on that boat. Just curious, did you use the bow off of a donor boat and mate it to your boat? If not, do tell how you fixed that? Also, do you do fiberglass work for a living?

I used the pieces of the original bow and mad a mold of it, was a little hard because most of the bow was crushed, after I got the mold I started doing all of the dirty work. I found if you use a hazmat suit you don't itch as bad. I read up on how to fibreglass and asked alot of questions from a local fibreglass man and he kept me going in the right direction. I own a flooring business Anyone want to buy carpet! I know I will never tackle a project like this again. But it was a fun project with a hell of a award at then end of the project. Nothing like floating around in the water on a warm summer day, watching the kids do some face slaps laughing at them then go out and do what..... a face slap. steering cable will be in on wednesday, be on the water thursday! Clap.gif

I used the pieces of the original bow and mad a mold of it, was a little hard because most of the bow was crushed, after I got the mold I started doing all of the dirty work. I found if you use a hazmat suit you don't itch as bad. I read up on how to fibreglass and asked alot of questions from a local fibreglass man and he kept me going in the right direction. I own a flooring business Anyone want to buy carpet! I know I will never tackle a project like this again. But it was a fun project with a hell of a award at then end of the project. Nothing like floating around in the water on a warm summer day, watching the kids do some face slaps laughing at them then go out and do what..... a face slap. steering cable will be in on wednesday, be on the water thursday! Clap.gif

That's awesome. Great job!

That's much to be proud of.

After seeing the work you did on this, I will be buying carpet from you if I ever move to Salt Lake City. Even if I don't need it I will be buying.