Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help, which motor for wkstr 23 lsv?

drew's joy

:unsure: Hi I'm new to the inboard world as a buyer. I'v ridden behind all of the various kinds of boats from mastercrafts to tige's. We have settle on the 23 lsv (mostly for the creature comforts the boat feels like a lexus on the inside.) My question; is the monsoon more than enough horsepower for the 23 or should I opt for the 400 hp hamerhead. Not just trying to blow a few extra thousand $$. But i am curious If the boat is still quick and nimble loaded down with 8-10 people, ballast full, plus all the gear with just the monsoon engine. (Most of the lakes we go on are busy so getting back quick is somewhat important). Our uses will be wakesurf 40%, wakeboard 40%, and big towables 20%.

I'm not a huge bunch of help, but our motor runs our 23 LSV great with the boat loaded down. No complaints or regrets here.

Welcome to the crew! Welcome.gif (Oh & the fact that you added your %s up correctly makes you #1 in my book! LOL - you'd be surprised......;))

Thanks Shannon for the help. Im pretty sure your saying the monsoon has plenty of power. Our dealer kinda said the same thing but i just want to make sure we get what we need not what he wants to sell ;) All the boats he normally orders have the monsoon.

I recall having a discussion with the malibu dealer 4-5 years ago about monsoon vs. hammerhead. His take was that the hammerheads benefit was on the top end (top speed) and not in the bottom end torque, so that it really wasn't all that much of an improvement for skiing/boarding purposes. Is this an accurate assessment?

Hammerhead. Seriously. I am on my 2nd 23 LSV with a HH and I cannot imagine a 23 with a Monsoon. The high altitude prop is a must as well if you want some snap out of the hole with ballast and wedge. You will think the stock prop does just fine until you switch to the "spinnier" high altitude prop. Even without ballast, I like the snappy prop better. You will lose 3-4 mph on the top end, but I don't care since I don't ride a board or foil at 50 anyway.

Anticipating your next question..............I did not notice a difference in gas mileage after the prop swap.

I recall having a discussion with the malibu dealer 4-5 years ago about monsoon vs. hammerhead. His take was that the hammerheads benefit was on the top end (top speed) and not in the bottom end torque, so that it really wasn't all that much of an improvement for skiing/boarding purposes. Is this an accurate assessment?

Yes that sounds similar to what our dealer was saying. Just looking at the #'s there are 27ft pounds of torque diff between the two and 60 hp diff. So it should get a few more mph on the top end, but we rarely do anything over 30mph in the boat we have now so it makes no difference to me. I just want to make sure I make the right choice. I would totally rather just go with the standard motor than the upgrade, but just wanted to hear it from nonsalesman people that have a good amount of experience in these boats. Also im sure the monsoon will be much easier than the HH on the fuel bill.

Hammerhead. Seriously. I am on my 2nd 23 LSV with a HH and I cannot imagine a 23 with a Monsoon. The high altitude prop is a must as well if you want some snap out of the hole with ballast and wedge. You will think the stock prop does just fine until you switch to the "spinnier" high altitude prop. Even without ballast, I like the snappy prop better. You will lose 3-4 mph on the top end, but I don't care since I don't ride a board or foil at 50 anyway.

Anticipating your next question..............I did not notice a difference in gas mileage after the prop swap.

Skyskier, do you live in a high altitude or is that just the set up you use that works really well??

Hi Drew,

I've put 25hrs now on our '08 23 LSV with the Monsoon. We had a Four Winns with 220hp before, so we were pleasantly surprised the first time we firewalled it. Everybody went flying back into their seats...! Even with ballast and wedge down, It still has tons of power available. Malibu wouldn't sell it with an engine that couldn't do the job.

If money was no object, everyone would get a 450hp, but the Monsoon seems like more than enough power to me, especially for the 23. My neighbor has a '05 25LSV with a 450hp, but I think it's needed on a big hulled boat like that...

Just my humble opinion...

By the way, my neighbor bought a Mastercraft and was extolling the virtues of it whenever I would listen, saying the wake was just as good, blah, blah, blah. I took him and his son in our boat the other day. He was silent, but when his 13 yr old got in, he said: Whoa! This is a NICE boat!" Check...Mate...

Thanks Shannon for the help. Im pretty sure your saying the monsoon has plenty of power. Our dealer kinda said the same thing but i just want to make sure we get what we need not what he wants to sell ;) All the boats he normally orders have the monsoon.

Drew's joy..............no high altitude here. The Acme 1235 is just a prop that works amazingly well. I believe everyone should carry a spare prop, so why not order one and give it a try? That is more versitile than having two of the stock props........or two of any props.

I have never driven a ballasted 23 LSV with a 1235 prop and Monsoon engine. If you really do not anticipate more than 40% wakeboarding, or wakeboarding with a large crew onboard, that combo may get you by. BUT, I'll bet you did not walk into the showroom and say "Hey, which one of these boats will get me by"?

Look at the torque specs on the two motors they are very close. The hammerhead shines in the mid to upper rpm range. Yes if you own a HH you'll say "I can't imagine owning a Monsoon" of course you can't you have to justify the extra $6K you slapped down on that motor. As far as boardsports and wakesurfing goes the Monsoon is the way to go. Any dealer will tell you that you have to run that HH hard and open it up alot to avoid problems. People run the acme or OJ on both motors. If the HH was really the shiz you wouldn't need to swap the prop out.

Edited by 06vlx

I’ve been in both an ’07 LSV w/ 6 people and loaded ballast and in an ’06 LSV with about 8 adults and full ballast. I was skeptical that the monsoon was enough for the LSV, well I can tell you that the HH is not needed for most applications. Would it be nice sure but in the end, unless you’re at high altitude just reprop if necessary to the Acme 1235 for the OJ 468 or 475 and you’ll be just fine. The ’06 LSV has the stock prop btw. Save the $$$ for gas.

Okay, same original question

"Is the monsoon big engough in the 23 LSV" BUT I live in Colorado and boat at 4700 ft elevation. Tommy's is the Malibu dealler out here and they say it needs the HH, but I'm with Drew's joy and want to here it from the Crew.

Okay, same original question

"Is the monsoon big engough in the 23 LSV" BUT I live in Colorado and boat at 4700 ft elevation. Tommy's is the Malibu dealler out here and they say it needs the HH, but I'm with Drew's joy and want to here it from the Crew.

You will need to re-prop either engine at that elevation. The power difference is neglegible down low anyways so why does the boat need the HH.. Are you concerned about top end or power in the upper rpm range?

have not driven a HH but our 07 23lsv with monsoon does just fine with a boat full of people full ballast and another sack in the locker for surfing and wedge down. If you were loaded down like this all the time I'm talking 10 or more people the HH might be better for sure but over all with like 6-8 or so people the monsoon does us right. We are in AZ.

From all the boats I have been in the only thing you should worry about is what prop you are using. BTW, I am not a big fan of the HH. I feel like its too rough at idle and much louder than the monsoon.