Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX Surfing Ballast

SC Fam

I want a big surf wake from my 08 VLX. My pal put 2x750lb sacs in his back lockers on hsi 23' bu. Those are probably too big for the VLX. How much can I put in back, and how much up front? I'm thinking of 2 x 500 in the back, and trying to find one for the front, with maybe an in-cabin sac we can move around. Lockers are 42 x 20 x20. Can I screw something up in those lockers with too much weight?

I want a big surf wake from my 08 VLX. My pal put 2x750lb sacs in his back lockers on hsi 23' bu. Those are probably too big for the VLX. How much can I put in back, and how much up front? I'm thinking of 2 x 500 in the back, and trying to find one for the front, with maybe an in-cabin sac we can move around. Lockers are 42 x 20 x20. Can I screw something up in those lockers with too much weight?

You can put a 750 in one of the rear lockers for surfing, just won't fill up 100%. Then get a couple 400# for in the cabin.

You can put a 750 in one of the rear lockers for surfing, just won't fill up 100%. Then get a couple 400# for in the cabin.

You think the 560 lb versions might work out ok? What about too much weight in that back locker? Seems like no one is too worried abou that. I'm also thinking I'd better put maybe 400 lb sac up front that coud be rolled from left to right in playpen?

The only sacks I recommend getting are Fly High and they don't make #560 sacks.

i have a 2007 21ft vlx i have a 800lb fatsac in the rear then i fill up the left rear ballast , fill up the center ballast, then wedge half way down works perfect almost too big of a wake :) makes ya dig harder on your rear foot instead of your front

Check this out on www.wakeside.com

http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/balla...ty+games+sac.do

This is the Fly High Gravity Games rear locker sack...it is 565 lbs. It sounds, though like I might be smartest to buy the 750s. Even if I can't get all 750 squished into the sack in that locker, it will max 'er out anyway I suppose? I appreciate you recommending a brand too...that was what I was planning to buy, but great to get an actual recommendation. Thank you!

Check this out on www.wakeside.com

http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/balla...ty+games+sac.do

This is the Fly High Gravity Games rear locker sack...it is 565 lbs. It sounds, though like I might be smartest to buy the 750s. Even if I can't get all 750 squished into the sack in that locker, it will max 'er out anyway I suppose? I appreciate you recommending a brand too...that was what I was planning to buy, but great to get an actual recommendation. Thank you!

I can fill 2 400# sacks ontop of eachother completely in my rear locker.

SC,

I can fill the 750 in the trunk almost completely, but with the way that I have it plumbed it slowly self empties. I plan to try & fix that this year. Don't forget about weight up front, either in the cabin or the bow. If we don't have people with us then we put the 500 on the seat in the cabin, if we do then we sometimes half fill that bag & put it on the surf side in the bow. That make the wave even longer & easier to stay on.

Good luck & happy surfing!

SC,

I can fill the 750 in the trunk almost completely, but with the way that I have it plumbed it slowly self empties. I plan to try & fix that this year. Don't forget about weight up front, either in the cabin or the bow. If we don't have people with us then we put the 500 on the seat in the cabin, if we do then we sometimes half fill that bag & put it on the surf side in the bow. That make the wave even longer & easier to stay on.

What are you seeing that causes it to slowly empty? I'm having the same problem every once in a while. Some times it stays up fine, some times I look back there and it's almost empty. We think it's siphoning out the fill hose since there is no other way it could be emptying.

I plumbed my vent line into its own thru hull, & when the boat is loaded like that it makes the top of the bag actually higher than the vent line. So, *I think* that it's going through the vent line. I need to do some testing on that to be sure, but that's my guess. It's not going out through the fill line because we've closed the valve on that in some limited testing. So it's either through the empty or the vent.

SC,

Thank you...I'm a newb and your posts are much appreciated. So, I'm thinking about going with either the 750s or 565s in back, then getting a coupla 400s (one for mid cabin and one for front). Based on what you've been doing, it sounds like I might be a little light, but I'm thinking this should get it close. We haven't had much problem getting "volunteers" to ride with us as ballast Biggrin.gif and we made the best wake so far on the goofy side with a stock setup. Can't wait to see what a modded setup is going to do in person...saw your post with the kid on the wave...that was spectacular...If I can get that....!!

SC,

Hey, one more question...do the 750s pose any kind of "blowout" problem for the engine compartment divider or the factory ballast tanks underneath? I know I gotta fill them first, but no problems you've known of??

Thanks guys. I think we should be ok with either the 750s or 565s in the back. Then we are going to get a pair of round 350s. My guess is that I want the boat a little more even (and I don't have a front MLS), so I will start by putting a 350 surfside up front, then fill the surfside locker and add the 350 in the middle if it is just the 4 of us. With more people, probably have to ditch some water.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for where the surfside water level is (at rest) on the side of the boat? How far can I safely go?

SC,

Hey, one more question...do the 750s pose any kind of "blowout" problem for the engine compartment divider or the factory ballast tanks underneath? I know I gotta fill them first, but no problems you've known of??

If you use good bags (such as Pro X) it's not a major danger. You just have to be careful about sharp objects & such. If you're using an aerator pump to fill, there isn't much danger of popping a Pro X, but if you use an impeller style pump then there is.

Thanks guys. I think we should be ok with either the 750s or 565s in the back. Then we are going to get a pair of round 350s. My guess is that I want the boat a little more even (and I don't have a front MLS), so I will start by putting a 350 surfside up front, then fill the surfside locker and add the 350 in the middle if it is just the 4 of us. With more people, probably have to ditch some water.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for where the surfside water level is (at rest) on the side of the boat? How far can I safely go?

Not sure about the side, but the swim platform is above the water on the off side & about 2 inches below the water on the surf side at rest.