Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow Sluggish Monsoon???

Well it seems that there is alot of these threads lately with people having issues with their boats.. Thankfully my boat is running perfectly...

My brother's 97 Echelon on the other hand is not..

We were out on it last night and it idles perfectly and it even sounds good.. He replaced one of the fuel filters mid last year so it probably only has 20 or so hours on it and then he did the impeller and Distributor Cap and Rotor this spring before taking it out the first time...

Now it is very sluggish out of the hole and the RPM's max out at 3500 while under load... When you put it in neutral and rev it up, it seems as if everything is normal... The thing that worries me is that it is going to be difficult to diagnose at a shop... It will run perfect while not in gear...

We still had a great evening on the water and it starts and idles great.. He is going to have the timing checked because he figurea he may have thrown it off while replacing the Distributor Cap and I instructed him to replace the second fuel filter on top of the tank..

Anyone else had this problem? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks

not to thread hijack.,,,please help us....

mine seams to be doing the same thing..... 2003 xti 320 monsoon......i cleaned distribator and plugs....

under load it spitters and i can smell the gas. (rich) and ideas?..

We have a 97 sunsetter with the monsoon, and we had to replace the fuel injectors last year. Sometimes you can just send them in to clean them, but other times you have to replace. It should cost about 1200 bucks. Ouch.

Thanks for the relies..

We replaces the Distributor cap and rotor with one from an ordinary auto parts store and it seems like an Exact Match.. Although I don't really know if we need a special one for a Marine environment..

We replaced the Fuel Filters as well (both) and still no improvement.. It also seems like it has a hard time starting now when it is warmed up... We went for a pull last night to check it out and it was really running like crap... When you get up and going it seems to sound fine but it takes a while to get on plane and agian it maxes out at 3500 rpm... But when it is in Nuetral it will rev to 4500 quite easily and possibly higher but we never took it to the max...

I hope it is not injectors... But how do you test for that?

It is Fuel Injected Monsoon 320...

I also removed the Canon Plug last night blew it out and re-inserted it.. It seemed pretty clean...

And we had the timing checked and it seems right on! Although I really don't know what the proper timing is!!!

Edited by pennery

It ran fine (not great) end of the season last year and My brother replaced the Cap and Rotor before the first run of the season... That is when he started having the problems...

When I say it ws nt running great I men it was starting hard when warm, but it still performed great at operating speed... We thought it was the cap and rotor thus the need for replacement...

Retarted timing and a bad Engine Coolant Temperature sensor will cause hard starting when engine is warm.

how do you check for a bad coolant temp sensor?>...

my engine seams to have same problem....runs very rich when engine is warm. extreme power loss...(hole shot) bogs down..slow to accelerate

...when cold everything is pretty much good....

You need an ohm meter and a few cups of water at different temperatures. Should be 3500 ohms at room temperature and 180 ohms at boiling. At engine operating temperature (160) it should read about 470 ohms. Or you can go to the auto parts store and just buy a new one. About $20.

Will a bad coolant temp sensor set a code? Do you know of a part number, or do I just ask for a coolant sensor for a '99 Chevy V8, the reason I ask is Chevy was using an LS1 style V8 by this time and the engine in my boat is the traditional Chevy small block. I am thinking about trying this and checking out the thermostat as several people have suggested this as a possible fix to the problem I posted about in another thread about a rough running Monsoon.

It pretty much has to fail to set a code. If it is still working,but way out of range, it won't set a code. The codes for the coolant sensor are 1-4, open sensor, and 1-5, shorted sensor.

Thanks for the relies..

We replaces the Distributor cap and rotor with one from an ordinary auto parts store and it seems like an Exact Match.. Although I don't really know if we need a special one for a Marine environment..

We replaced the Fuel Filters as well (both) and still no improvement.. It also seems like it has a hard time starting now when it is warmed up... We went for a pull last night to check it out and it was really running like crap... When you get up and going it seems to sound fine but it takes a while to get on plane and agian it maxes out at 3500 rpm... But when it is in Nuetral it will rev to 4500 quite easily and possibly higher but we never took it to the max...

I hope it is not injectors... But how do you test for that?

It is Fuel Injected Monsoon 320...

I also removed the Canon Plug last night blew it out and re-inserted it.. It seemed pretty clean...

And we had the timing checked and it seems right on! Although I really don't know what the proper timing is!!!

If you have the means to check your fuel pressure do so. You may be able to rent a fuel pressure gage from a tool shop or auto parts store. My friend's boat ~2000 Ski Centurion w/350 Mercruiser is fuel injected. It was doing the same thing as you describe here. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Good luck! Hope you find the problem.

Brian