Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing Weight

GregD

I'm trying to figure out my GCWR (gross combined weight rating) for towing purposes. I own an '02 Wakesetter VLX with a SB Trailer. Has anybody actually weighed the boat with trailer, gear and a full tank of gas? Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out my GCWR (gross combined weight rating) for towing purposes. I own an '02 Wakesetter VLX with a SB Trailer. Has anybody actually weighed the boat with trailer, gear and a full tank of gas? Thanks.

Hopefully someone will chime in with actual weights but it still may be different from yours due to many factors. Quite often published spec is VERY different from real world, especially when you start talking about typical gear on board. Having owned both boats and horse trailers, I usually just take it to one of those truck stops with the large truck scales (search "CAT Scales"). For a couple bucks you can drive the the whole thing on, weigh it all, then drive it off in just a couple minutes. It saves a little time if you know the tow vehicle weight by itself. Once you do this you might be surprised what it adds up to. All those fluids and gear and people load make a difference.

For my 03 SSLXi, published I think at 2900# plus trailer and gear, it ended up well over 5000# when all was said and done. My 3/4t Avalanche tows 12000# so I was really just curious, not worried about it. For our 2007 Acura MDX, it turns out that's right at the limit though and it feels like it.

Tom

Hopefully someone will chime in with actual weights but it still may be different from yours due to many factors. Quite often published spec is VERY different from real world, especially when you start talking about typical gear on board. Having owned both boats and horse trailers, I usually just take it to one of those truck stops with the large truck scales (search "CAT Scales"). For a couple bucks you can drive the the whole thing on, weigh it all, then drive it off in just a couple minutes. It saves a little time if you know the tow vehicle weight by itself. Once you do this you might be surprised what it adds up to. All those fluids and gear and people load make a difference.

For my 03 SSLXi, published I think at 2900# plus trailer and gear, it ended up well over 5000# when all was said and done. My 3/4t Avalanche tows 12000# so I was really just curious, not worried about it. For our 2007 Acura MDX, it turns out that's right at the limit though and it feels like it.

Tom

Look for your local scrap yard, Most will have drive on scales and will let you use them. I build custom trailers and before i can plate them i need to weight them.. good luck

06 VLX published dry weight 3600lbs actually weighs 5680 with full tank of gas and usual equiptment. Titan 4x4 crewcab truck with full gas and 2 passengers 6000lbs. Just weighed them a couple weeks ago.